Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round

Legend

User Info Menu

Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round

Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round
    April 7th, 2010
    [url="http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/04/07/kiper-has-uf-cg-going-to-steelers-in-first-round/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThePressBox+%2 8View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29"]http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29[/url]

With the NFL draft two weeks away, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers taking Florida center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“I think the Steelers could use a versatile, interior presence that can play at a high level at center or guard,” Kiper said today on a conference call. “He’s also got great character.”

If the Steelers took the 6-5, 304-pound Pouncey with their top pick, they could play him at right guard, where they could use an upgrade, and eventually move him to center.

Pouncey compares favorably with Jets center Nick Mangold, who has made the last two Pro Bowls and become one of the top players at his position.

If the Steelers address the offensive line with their first-round pick, Kiper said, they almost have to use their second-round pick on a cornerback.

Kiper said Patrick Robinson of Florida State would be a strong possibility for the Steelers in the second round if they go with a cornerback.

Another possibility he mentioned in the second round is East Carolina nose tackle Linval Joseph.

“Is really under the radar,” Kiper said of the 6-41/2 328-pound Joseph, “but has really come along and is now a solid late (round) one or early to mid two.”

Kiper said the Steelers may take a defensive end early in the draft and said Arkansas State’s Alex Carrington is a possibility for them in the third round. Joseph, he said, also could play end in a 3-4 defense.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round

Can he play center?

If this kid really does compare to Mangold, its a no brainer. Just seems like we've ignored our glaring needs on o-line for quite some time now. Why start now?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not much of a college football fan but as a Steelers fanatic nothing would make me happier then getting 2 OLinemen in the 1st 2 rounds. Don't know who but a G and C would be nice.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm glad Kiper is mocking Pouncey to the Steelers that almost guarantees it won't happen. :P

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow. It's all a matter of one's perspective. Personally, I think the OL has enough depth there that we don't need to even address it early on in this years draft. I thought in February that a OT might be a good pick to compete at RT, but we signed a veteran lineman from Buffalo for depth, so Hills could be the odd man out. If Pouncey would fall into the 2nd round, and I think he will, then I would be ok with them picking him there, but not with the 18th pick. That's too early for him. Just remember that anyone could be the next Mangold including Legursky. Time will tell on that.

To me, the most pressing need on this team is on the defense. CB, DL, LB. Drafting as high as 18 will get you a good play maker on defense. At least it should. Depends on who is on the board when they pick, obviously.

I guess we'll see the Steelers perspective in a few weeks. That will tell us who on this board was right in their line of thinking.

PS- oh and the odds are it won't be Pouncey now- since when was Kiper right?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I'm glad Kiper is mocking Pouncey to the Steelers that almost guarantees it won't happen. :P

Pappy
    Pappy, we are on the same wavelength!! No Pouncey in Rd. 1 if Kiper is predicting it!

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Pappy--you beat me to the post. I was going to say the exact same thing. This is the best news in days because it means we won't draft a Center at the highest spot in Round 1 this decade.

If you want someone to play Guard get the 330lb Iupati not the 305lb Pouncey. Iupati will improve the run game, Pouncey won't.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Kiper's knowledge of random guys who will be 7th round picks or UDFA's is impressive, but in terms of a prognosticator, he leaves a lot to be desired. The mock I look forward to each year is Rick Gosselin from the Dallas Morning News, since he seems to be a knack for first round predictions. I think he doesn't typically publish it until right before the actual draft, though.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Wow. It's all a matter of one's perspective. Personally, I think the OL has enough depth there that we don't need to even address it early on in this years draft. I thought in February that a OT might be a good pick to compete at RT, but we signed a veteran lineman from Buffalo for depth, so Hills could be the odd man out. If Pouncey would fall into the 2nd round, and I think he will, then I would be ok with them picking him there, but not with the 18th pick. That's too early for him. Just remember that anyone could be the next Mangold including Legursky. Time will tell on that.

To me, the most pressing need on this team is on the defense. CB, DL, LB. Drafting as high as 18 will get you a good play maker on defense. At least it should. Depends on who is on the board when they pick, obviously.

I guess we'll see the Steelers perspective in a few weeks. That will tell us who on this board was right in their line of thinking.

PS- oh and the odds are it won't be Pouncey now- since when was Kiper right?
    i agree i think the o-line is fine. RG is the only position they could upgrade right away. they do need a center for the future but hartwig is ok for now. they should focus on defense. the steelers hardly ever have a draft pick this high why not use it on a talented db which is the biggest need for the steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Disagree somewhat- Hartwig is, statistically, the worst starting NFL Center. He's poor- we are just comparing him to Mahan, so he looks 'servicable'. Maybe it's because the RG for the last 2 years has been even poorer though?

Iupati has more potential to be a dominant NFL player, so Chadman prefers Iupati at #18.

And in Chadman's perfect world, the Steelers starting Center of the future is either Doug Legursky, or Matt Tennant from Boston College.

Here's betting Tomlin & co give Coach Kugs a year to work on Legursky...or perhaps Urbik at Center...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE