Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers like Benn?

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers like Benn?

I could see the Steelers making a move for Benn in round 2.

Source: Arrelious Benn has visited the Bengals, Cowboys, Patriots and Steelers

Illinois wide receiver to meet with the Broncos next week Aaron Wilson
    April 10, 2010 Bookmark and Share Print This
    1 Comment

University of Illinois wide receiver Arrelious Benn has visited the Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source.

Arrelious BennAPArrelious Benn is set to meet with the Denver Broncos next week.

Next week, he has a meeting with the Denver Broncos.

Benn has previously conducted a private workout for the Broncos.

Benn took his visit to New England last week when Dez Bryant was there.

We’re told that the Steelers are extremely high on Benn, who met with coach Mike Tomlin during his visit.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneeers, who meet Sunday with Bryant, also have a high grade on Benn.

Benn ran the 40-yard dash in 4.36 and 4.39 seconds during his Pro Day workout on the Illinois campus last month.

"I was definitely pleased with what I did," Benn told National Football Post in a telephone interview. "I got a lot of positive feedback from the teams. I'm happy about it."

The 6-foot-1, 220-pounder said his pass patterns were much more fluid than his work at the combine where he slipped on some patterns during drills and had some dropped passes.

"I slipped on a speed out route at the combine," Benn said. "Where I'm from, it's a step route and it's hard to run around a cone. Today, I did what I normally do. Everything was more crisp, not that the combine was bad.

"At the combine, I was dealing with a lot of things and I kind of get sidetracked the last day. You've got to press through it. I'm always going to represent well."

Benn bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times at the combine, the best at his position, and posted a 37-inch vertical leap.

Benn has been training with New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie out in California.

"That helps me a lot," Benn said. "I try to soak up whatever I can learn and be a sponge."

Because of his superior size, Benn hopes to bully smaller defensive backs.

"With my size, I always feel like I have the advantage," he said.

Benn caught 159 career passes for 2,221 yards and seven touchdowns at Illinois, but his production dipped to 38 receptions for 490 yards last season mostly because of shaky quarterback play and a high-ankle sprain.

As a sophomore, he caught 67 passes for 1,059 yards and was named first-team All-Big Ten Conference.

Benn said he patterns his game after several NFL star wide receivers, including Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin.

"You want to always have that physicality," Benn said. "You want that defensive mentality on offense. Those guys are for real. You can take something away from watching them."
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers like Benn?

Benn is a solid WR. It's hard to gauge him on his numbers alone. He has never really had a passing QB. With that said, I don't see anything special about him. His best skill is probably his ability to pick up YAC. He is well rounded and does everything well...but doesn't an elite skill.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Won't happen unless they ship out Stupidio.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben to Benn?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    ....Ok you ready to say it may happen now??
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

If Arrelious Benn flexes after a catch, it will make more sense than when skinny ol' Holmes tried to flex his chicken wings.

I just hope "Rejus" doesn't have his area code tattooed on his bicep.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

benn looks like an anquan boldin type of player, i liked him at illinois....

haha who doesnt have an area code on tattoed on thier bicep...i have my phone number on the other one along with my name on my chest

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now we need a center named Bennn.

I like the way he plays and his size and athleticism. I don't like the way he body catches and his hands are average at best.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    ....Ok you ready to say it may happen now??
    My criteria was obvioulsy met, so I'm on board with a WR in Rounds 1-3. I also could see Golden Tate as a real target, but Benn has always impressed me.

Let's face it, this is the last round up for Hines Ward. The Steelers know it which is why they brought in ARE as insurance.

The obvious wildcard is Sweed but the team won't go into training camp wishing and hoping for him. They will get another quality WR prospect.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Now we need a center named Bennn.

I like the way he plays and his size and athleticism. I don't like the way he body catches and his hands are average at best.
    I myself like the idea of taking a big receiver from a big time school in the second round,(sarcasm), but I agree with you on the body catching..