Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who's going to be our RG next year?

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    IMHO, out of the group on the roster, by far it should be Ramon Foster. Actually Foster should start at RT and Colon should be bumped in to RG.

In 2007, with Foster at RT, the Vols QB attempted 519 pass attempts and was sacked 3 times.
    Why move one of the better RT to guard? a position he has NEVER played. a position that coaches and scouts feel that he isn't suited for. a position that only arm chair quarterbacks on message boards even wants him to play.
    Because he sucks at RT. Not sure where you are pulling the word 'better' from other than where the sun don't shine.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    The coaching staff knows their players the best- not us just because we watch a 16 game season. After all, they are the ones who get paid the bucks to evaluate their players 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
    To bring this line of thinking onto a message board is ridiculous. Why even discuss anything regarding the Steelers then other than how the games go?

Can't discuss who we draft and can't be negative at all about it because heck, who are we because the coaches are the ones that know the best.

Why discuss the gameplans at all in any negative light because I mean the coaches are the ones watching all the film on the teams we play and they know better than us.

Why discuss when one player should start over another due to poor play or age cause the coaches know best.....come on man.
    @_Hellgrammite

Sorry, if you disagree. Guess that's why I stop posting on here right around this time of year. I'll just 'bite my lip' and shut the hell up then.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

There still seems to be too much emphasis on how much our first round pick will play this year, or who he is going to replace. It's not realistic to expect anyone to play a lot in their rookie season. They will draft with the future in mind and I doubt they will worry about who they will have to cut.

Pro Bowler

I think the coaches liked what they saw from Foster & would give him the edge going to camp over Urbik & Essex...but they'll really hope Urbik steps up & probably would like to see Essex back to the swing spot.

But here's a thing or two to watch out for...

1. Jonathan Scott - Scott was brought here by the team on the advice of Kugler, who coached him in Buffalo. Scott was a premier OT prospect at Texas before falling prey to ego & sloppy habits. But after a couple of seasons, he's got his head on straight & a coach who believes in him...don't be surprised to see him give Colon a run for his money at RT or get a shot if the coaches move Willie inside.

2. Drafting Pouncey - One of the things heralded about Pouncey is that he could play OG. Is he better than any of our other options at that spot & does that cause a problem down the road if he plays there & then moves to center, delaying the development of a proper RG?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Again, I come back to who are ya gonna cut if you use a high draft pick on a C/ and or G?

Urbik? 3rd round pick
    Foster? starting experience
    Legursky? starting experience/ backup C
    Essex? starter

I say the odds are we will NOT be using a high draft pick on a C or G. OT? not likely either with the signing of Scott.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion