Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Who's going to be our RG next year?

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,757

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    The coaching staff knows their players the best- not us just because we watch a 16 game season. After all, they are the ones who get paid the bucks to evaluate their players 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

    IF Hartwig was so bad at Center last year, as you are saying, then why wouldn't a change be made? Say Legursky? Why? Because Hartwig is the #1 Center on the depth chart and he isn't as bad as a lot of you think he is. He's there for a reason, and he's not taken off the depth chart that just because some stats who come from wherever say something else- which, by the way, is totally crap anyway. The Steelers would have their own stats internally, and could be totally different than what's floating on the internet. Again, have you ever played along the OL? Do you know what all goes on up there? I bet not. Simply- There are schemes that the coaches put in for game planning, etc. Note that we have a new OL coach now and new schemes will be developed by him now. Furthermore, we also have a QB that likes to run around and make plays, etc. and that's great. It means a few more sacks- so be it.

    I'll go by what the coaching staff does, rather than what a bunch of fans on here or a Mel Kiper who probably has never even played a down of football in his life try to decide whats in the best interests for the OL-- Again, all I ask is that you guys deal with the reality that the OL is already set, barring injuries.

    Answer me this:

    Say we draft Iupati. Who do we cut?

    These players are set:

    Starks
    Kemo
    Hartwig
    Essex
    Colon
    Urbik
    Foster
    Legursky
    New Vet that signed-

    that's 9 already and that leaves out Hills Usually, the 53 man roster has 9, I believe. or around there.

    Urbik was a 3rd rounder, Foster has playing experience and is a good young lineman, Legursky played well too and now has experience.. Again, I don't see us using a high draft pick on a OL. If Pouncey would fall, then he'd be worth it, but not at 18- NO Way.
    maybe legursky is as much of a bum as hartwig. You can't polish a turd, and hartwig is a turd. Plus you have to realize that legursky was more of a swing man, and helped provie depth at guard. Hartwig didn't. Just cus a guy starts doesn't mean he's any good.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,316

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    you dont see harwig getting pushed back and beaten pretty much all season, then i question how much you do watch. and i'm not even a big seperate watcher of the OL.


    do you think the steeler coaches are gonna come out and throw the OL under the bus when they have no capable replacement?

    maybe his injury (had off season shoulder surgery) had something to do with it and i'm hoping a new blcoking scheme helps the run game and pass protection, but i'm thinking there's a reason why another NFL team waived a vet center

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    you dont see harwig getting pushed back and beaten pretty much all season, then i question how much you do watch. and i'm not even a big seperate watcher of the OL.


    do you think the steeler coaches are gonna come out and throw the OL under the bus when they have no capable replacement?

    maybe his injury (had off season shoulder surgery) had something to do with it and i'm hoping a new blcoking scheme helps the run game and pass protection, but i'm thinking there's a reason why another NFL team waived a vet center
    The reality of it is...Hartwig was cut because Carolina spent a high draft pick on a new center, so the scenario has already played out with him once.

    Some here have already labelled Urbik as the next Bruce Davis and are willing to junk him after a redshirt freshman season. Shoot, if we are going to be that short sighted, why didnt we just dump him last September when that article came out saying he was a disappointment in camp?? Is there no chance he could yet turn out to be a good player?? At this point, are we in this forum really in a position to say the team made a terrible pick with him? The body of work just isnt there for us to give up already on our second pick in last years draft, IMHO. And no, Ramon Foster does not mean we NEED to spend our first round pick on the RG position. If anything, it indicates we should look to solidify another position with less depth, such as our defensive backfield where I would be much more willing to grade Ryan Mundy and Willie Gay as washouts since they have had their chances on the playing field.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  4. #24
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,576

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    Some interesting arguments have been put forward here.

    Ok, so many of you know that Chadman has Iupati at the top of his draft list, so perhaps Chadman's view could be slightly skewed, but..

    If you are going to say we don't need to upgrade the OG position, because the Steelers drafted Urbik last season- be consistant. We don't need to draft a CB either, because of Lewis & Burnett. And certainly no need for a Jared Odrick- we have Hood & Harris. Just re-signed Ryan Clark- there goes the need for a Safety.

    In fact, it seems every position is filled. Let's trade this years draft picks away for a couple of 1st rounders in next years draft.

    If you are going to argue that the D-Backs have shown nothing & need upgrading- better add the OL to your list of 'shown nothing'.

    If Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Essex & Colon being retained, and Legursky, Foster, Hills & Urbik still being on the roster means there isn't a need on the OL, then having Taylor, Gay, Burnett, Lewis, Williams, Maddison, Clark, Mundy, Polamalu & Allen proves that last years starters are all in place & there are no vacancies in the D-Backfield, so don't draft a DB.

    If you are going to argue that Gay sucked, and therefore we need a new CB, then Essex sucked, and we need a new RG. What's that? We have Urbik? Oh- well we have Burnett & Lewis too- we should be ok then, using that theory.




    In Chadman's opinion- Iupati is an upgrade on all the other options at RG. It's that simple. Drafting him, makes RG better. Does it mean Urbik is a wash-out? Nope. But it means Chadman is going to use the fact that the 3rd round pick not being able to beat out the undrafted rookie for playing time, is not an indication of future greatness- much like how all those in favour of drafting a CB must feel that Burnett & Lewis not beating out Gay proves they are wasted draft picks.

    It's all about getting better. Iupati serves that purpose- and also goes some way to fulfilling both Mike Tomlin & Dan Rooney's desire to improve the running game, without spending a 2nd 1st round pick on a RB.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  5. #25
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    I would love to see Urbik step up and take the RG position this year! It would allow Essex to move back to swing tackle and it would give the team the oppurtunity to have Foster be a more universal backup who could play all positions except C. I would like to see an OL next year that looks like this

    LT - Max Starks
    LG- Chris Kemoeatu
    C- Maurkice Pouncey
    RG- Kraig Urbik
    RT- Willie Colon

    Backups:
    Trai Essex
    Ramon Foster
    Justin Hartwig
    Jonathan Scott

    That would be a solid bunch and a definite upgrade over what the team has had for a few years. We just need Urbik to step up and Pouncey to fall to us in the draft. I fully believe that if Pouncey is available at #18, that is who we are taking!!

    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,757

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    see chadman that's why I say center is a smart move. I am consistent! I don't think we give up on the kids at corner OR Guard.
    though, I'm of the opinion if a VETERAN sucks (such as hartwig) and has SUCKED for multiple seasons (such as hartwig) then he needs replaced.
    I don't have pouncey at the top of my draft list.. he's just gonna be teh best player on it when we draft...
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  7. #27
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    Its true Chadman, we have players at every position and the draft goal should be to grab whatever quality players fall to us, with a few positions in mind. I agree interior OL should be a prioritized unit as well as defensive backfield. The reason I put a little more emphasis on DBs is because there can sometimes be up to 6 on the field at a time and if one guy sucks, he will get picked on. There are never more than 3 interior lineman on the field ever, so we dont need as much quality depth there.

    Speaking of depth, at least there is still hope for Essex, Legursky, Foster, and Urbik to become good players, only Hartwig needs to move on soon. Out of the Dbs you mentioned, Gay is a downgrade, Madison and Mundy need to disappear, and i dont know who Williams is. That leaves us only 6 players with real potential, counting Will Allen.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,757

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Its true Chadman, we have players at every position and the draft goal should be to grab whatever quality players fall to us, with a few positions in mind. I agree interior OL should be a prioritized unit as well as defensive backfield. The reason I put a little more emphasis on DBs is because there can sometimes be up to 6 on the field at a time and if one guy sucks, he will get picked on. There are never more than 3 interior lineman on the field ever, so we dont need as much quality depth there.

    Speaking of depth, at least there is still hope for Essex, Legursky, Foster, and Urbik to become good players, only Hartwig needs to move on soon. Out of the Dbs you mentioned, Gay is a downgrade, Madison and Mundy need to disappear, and i dont know who Williams is. That leaves us only 6 players with real potential, counting Will Allen.
    you're arguement is flawed. you say there may be 6 db's on the field at a time so it's more important to upgrade that... WHAT!!! for a handful of snaps we should reach for a guy? you ralize that, even though there are only three interior O lineman, they are on the field for EVERY snap! not just a handful of situations!
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Its true Chadman, we have players at every position and the draft goal should be to grab whatever quality players fall to us, with a few positions in mind. I agree interior OL should be a prioritized unit as well as defensive backfield. The reason I put a little more emphasis on DBs is because there can sometimes be up to 6 on the field at a time and if one guy sucks, he will get picked on. There are never more than 3 interior lineman on the field ever, so we dont need as much quality depth there.

    Speaking of depth, at least there is still hope for Essex, Legursky, Foster, and Urbik to become good players, only Hartwig needs to move on soon. Out of the Dbs you mentioned, Gay is a downgrade, Madison and Mundy need to disappear, and i dont know who Williams is. That leaves us only 6 players with real potential, counting Will Allen.
    you're arguement is flawed. you say there may be 6 db's on the field at a time so it's more important to upgrade that... WHAT!!! for a handful of snaps we should reach for a guy? you ralize that, even though there are only three interior O lineman, they are on the field for EVERY snap! not just a handful of situations!
    In the 'pass happy' NFL, there are more than a handful of play where you need 5 or 6 DBs. So my (admittedly unclear) point was that, barring injuries, we rely on our backup DBs more often than the backup Olinemen. We seemed to be particularly bad in those situations last year, esp when Troy went down. So that indicates to me that we didnt have the quality depth. On the other hand, the O had a statistically good year which means to me that the Oline functioned more adequately as a unit.

    Getting a top DB will not only resolve the hole in the starting lineup, we will have better players in the game in nickel and dime.

    Getting a top OG will only improve one position where the backups (hopefully) never get in the game.

    For that reason, I would guess we fill another area of need with our first pick and give the RG position to the winner of Urbik/Foster/Essex in camp.

    ps...Pouncey or Iupati would be more of a reach at 18 than say Thomas or Wilson. So who said we would be reaching?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,757

    Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

    [quote=Discipline of Steel]
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by "Discipline of Steel":kqqvhgs4
    Its true Chadman, we have players at every position and the draft goal should be to grab whatever quality players fall to us, with a few positions in mind. I agree interior OL should be a prioritized unit as well as defensive backfield. The reason I put a little more emphasis on DBs is because there can sometimes be up to 6 on the field at a time and if one guy sucks, he will get picked on. There are never more than 3 interior lineman on the field ever, so we dont need as much quality depth there.

    Speaking of depth, at least there is still hope for Essex, Legursky, Foster, and Urbik to become good players, only Hartwig needs to move on soon. Out of the Dbs you mentioned, Gay is a downgrade, Madison and Mundy need to disappear, and i dont know who Williams is. That leaves us only 6 players with real potential, counting Will Allen.
    you're arguement is flawed. you say there may be 6 db's on the field at a time so it's more important to upgrade that... WHAT!!! for a handful of snaps we should reach for a guy? you ralize that, even though there are only three interior O lineman, they are on the field for EVERY snap! not just a handful of situations!
    In the 'pass happy' NFL, there are more than a handful of play where you need 5 or 6 DBs. So my (admittedly unclear) point was that, barring injuries, we rely on our backup DBs more often than the backup Olinemen. We seemed to be particularly bad in those situations last year, esp when Troy went down. So that indicates to me that we didnt have the quality depth. On the other hand, the O had a statistically good year which means to me that the Oline functioned more adequately as a unit.

    Getting a top DB will not only resolve the hole in the starting lineup, we will have better players in the game in nickel and dime.

    Getting a top OG will only improve one position where the backups (hopefully) never get in the game.[/quote:kqqvhgs4]
    my problem isn't with the backups. it's with the starters. starting interior lineman are on the field every play. and dn't for a minute try to tell me that we run a nickel or dime more than our base defense (which only has two safeties and two corners). and btw none of our db's rated as the worst at their position (the way hartwig did).
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •