Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to be our RG next year?

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

IMHO, out of the group on the roster, by far it should be Ramon Foster. Actually Foster should start at RT and Colon should be bumped in to RG.

In 2007, with Foster at RT, the Vols QB attempted 519 pass attempts and was sacked 3 times.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    umm i appeciate the article.. but have to disagree.
    we've given up close to 150 sacks the last 3 seasons.
    the writer didn't even mention how big the smith loss was.
    it doesn't seem like he even watched a game, let alone the last three seasons.

do you believe any of the 5 starters on the OL to be as bad as Willie Gay is as a starting CB?
    I already know that Hartwig ststistically is one of the worst centers in the NFL. I also know, that he doesn't have two young talented guys waiting in the wings to take his spot...
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    IMHO, out of the group on the roster, by far it should be Ramon Foster. Actually Foster should start at RT and Colon should be bumped in to RG.

In 2007, with Foster at RT, the Vols QB attempted 519 pass attempts and was sacked 3 times.
    Why move one of the better RT to guard? a position he has NEVER played. a position that coaches and scouts feel that he isn't suited for. a position that only arm chair quarterbacks on message boards even wants him to play.

Earn Some Bitcoins

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

do you believe any of the 5 starters on the OL to be as bad as Willie Gay is as a starting CB?
    The answer is NO my friend. Gay is, IMO, the worst starter on the team.
    you would have a viable arguement if the best two players on the offense were hurt (like troy and aaron last year). Hartwig sucked for two years regardless of who played next to him.

Earn Some Bitcoins

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

The answer is NO my friend. Gay is, IMO, the worst starter on the team.
    you would have a viable arguement if the best two players on the offense were hurt (like troy and aaron last year). Hartwig sucked for two years regardless of who played next to him.
    i also think gay is by far the worst starter on the team. it shouldnt make any difference if troy or smith were hurt players are still responsible for doing their job. gay was picked on consistently in every game.i wouldnt say hartwig sucks. he is very average but sucks is a bit harsh. sean mahan i would say sucked.

Why is it so hard for the majority of the fans on this board to understand that the OL is set like the article says? Because of the sacks? Come on. There's more to it than the OL. Not having a FB, poor OL blocking schemes, and Ben being Ben are 3 reasons that contributed to a majority of those sacks. Sure the OL should take some blame- BUT NOT ALL OF IT. This is reality, so just get on board- why? Because this is a young OL and the coaches are the ones who set the depth charts. This subject was the same thing that many of you were talking about last year at this time and when push came to shove everything in August stayed the same except that Stapleton got hurt and Essex was awarded the starting RG spot. So, barring any injuries in 2010, the OL is already in place.

There is plenty of depth at the interior positions with Foster, Urbik, and Legursky. We have Hills and the new vet that was brought in from Buffalo at OT. If there is any position that might need another player for depth it would be OT, because the jury is out on Hills. That leaves not much room for any rookie. Don't look for many OL to be taken and to be honest, the ONLY way I'd take Pouncey would be if he slid down to us in the 2nd round.

Other than that, draft CB's, DL, and LB's, all day long and throw in a OT, RB and maybe a WR as well.

Oh, and the answer to the question on this thread is very simple- Essex. He's already #1 on the depth chart going into camp. Barring injury, I seriously doubt he loses it.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Why is it so hard for the majority of the fans on this board to understand that the OL is set like the article says? Because of the sacks? Come on. There's more to it than the OL. Not having a FB, poor OL blocking schemes, and Ben being Ben are 3 reasons that contributed to a majority of those sacks. Sure the OL should take some blame- BUT NOT ALL OF IT. This is reality, so just get on board- why? Because this is a young OL and the coaches are the ones who set the depth charts. This subject was the same thing that many of you were talking about last year at this time and when push came to shove everything in August stayed the same except that Stapleton got hurt and Essex was awarded the starting RG spot. So, barring any injuries in 2010, the OL is already in place.

There is plenty of depth at the interior positions with Foster, Urbik, and Legursky. We have Hills and the new vet that was brought in from Buffalo at OT. If there is any position that might need another player for depth it would be OT, because the jury is out on Hills. That leaves not much room for any rookie. Don't look for many OL to be taken and to be honest, the ONLY way I'd take Pouncey would be if he slid down to us in the 2nd round.

Other than that, draft CB's, DL, and LB's, all day long and throw in a OT, RB and maybe a WR as well.

Oh, and the answer to the question on this thread is very simple- Essex. He's already #1 on the depth chart going into camp. Barring injury, I seriously doubt he loses it.
    why is it hard for the majority to buy what that crap article wrote? well, because frankly, like most articles written about the steelers, it was crap. i don't even think the writer watched a game for the past two years.
    i think, it's probably the fact that Hartwig has rated as the worst center in the league last year and was pretty damn terrible the year before. ANYONE who has WATCHED the steelers, unlike the writer of said article, would agree with me.

Earn Some Bitcoins

The coaching staff knows their players the best- not us just because we watch a 16 game season. After all, they are the ones who get paid the bucks to evaluate their players 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

IF Hartwig was so bad at Center last year, as you are saying, then why wouldn't a change be made? Say Legursky? Why? Because Hartwig is the #1 Center on the depth chart and he isn't as bad as a lot of you think he is. He's there for a reason, and he's not taken off the depth chart that just because some stats who come from wherever say something else- which, by the way, is totally crap anyway. The Steelers would have their own stats internally, and could be totally different than what's floating on the internet. Again, have you ever played along the OL? Do you know what all goes on up there? I bet not. Simply- There are schemes that the coaches put in for game planning, etc. Note that we have a new OL coach now and new schemes will be developed by him now. Furthermore, we also have a QB that likes to run around and make plays, etc. and that's great. It means a few more sacks- so be it.

I'll go by what the coaching staff does, rather than what a bunch of fans on here or a Mel Kiper who probably has never even played a down of football in his life try to decide whats in the best interests for the OL-- Again, all I ask is that you guys deal with the reality that the OL is already set, barring injuries.

Answer me this:

Say we draft Iupati. Who do we cut?

These players are set:

Starks
    Kemo
    Hartwig
    Essex
    Colon
    Urbik
    Foster
    Legursky
    New Vet that signed-

that's 9 already and that leaves out Hills Usually, the 53 man roster has 9, I believe. or around there.

Urbik was a 3rd rounder, Foster has playing experience and is a good young lineman, Legursky played well too and now has experience.. Again, I don't see us using a high draft pick on a OL. If Pouncey would fall, then he'd be worth it, but not at 18- NO Way.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

I think most of us are hoping Urbik finally lives up to the expectations. If he really is that bad...Iupati is a real possibility.

Well true- that would be the weak link possibly, but man would it be difficult to cut a 3rd rounder after just 2 years. Again, it's just reality and a numbers thing. I just don;t see where a high round OL fits in to the depth chart. That would be a waste to cut Urbik a 3rd round pick over say Iupati or Pouncey. If that's the case, then what can we say for those picking the players? We've already got a 2nd rounder in Sweed possibly on the way out...not to mention some others in the past.

Again, I just don't see a high round pick being used for an interior OL. And IF they did use the 18th pick on say Iupati or Pouncey then they are already giving in to a possible mistake on picking Urbik. That would be embarrassing at this point.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII