Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to be our RG next year?

Who's going to be our RG next year?

Quick recap

Simmons, at one point was great then we saw the demise with the injuries.

Say hello Stapleton, was like a big fresh of air. As we got use to that fresh air it started to seem just normal and nothing special. But we did win Superbowl with him. Injury led to IR which led him to the unemployment line.

Essex, the jack of all trades on the OL, soon took over, played well at times but average at times. With him starting at RG, who took the jack of all trades reserve role on the team?

Foster, an undrafted rookie tackle, Played well and would say just as good as Essex.

Now how could an undrafted player like Foster beat out our 2009 3rd pick Urbick? Was he better? Or did the jack of all trades role win him playing time at RG?

Which leads up to the question "Who's going to be our RG next year?"

Is Essex the man again?
    Is Foster just a Essex clone, a good OL swingman?
    Is Urbik going to catch up to speed with the NFL and live up to his draft position?

or

Via draft, Iupati, Pouncey, or future starting tackle ( switch Colon inside)?

Place your bets...It is going to be very interesting.

Re: Who's going to be our RG next year?

Hopefully with Urbik it was more to do with the Steelers not giving their draft picks much of a chance in year one, oppose to "being ready". Because you'd expect a guy from Wisconsin's OL to be more pro ready than any.

Indeed it will be interesting though.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Hopefully with Urbik it was more to do with the Steelers not giving their draft picks much of a chance in year one, oppose to "being ready". Because you'd expect a guy from Wisconsin's OL to be more pro ready than any.

I see Essex starting next to Pouncey next year and i think that Essex will look way above average in that situation.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Yeah I think Pouncey at Center would improve whomever at Guard, but there is a possibility that he'd be playing Guard himself in year one, until Hartwig is phased out.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy

March 9, 2010, 2:49 PM
    State of the Steelers: What the 2009 Film Revealed

Offense

No quarterback has better physical tools than Ben Roethlisberger (assuming he will be allowed to play next season). Heís known for his sandlot skills, but last season Roethlisberger also proved sharp in the presnap game. What really stood out was his chemistry with the smooth tight end Heath Miller and the wide receiving corps. Hines Ward was his usual self. Santonio Holmes was arguably the best route runner in football (noteworthy considering how flawed he was in this department as a rookie and sophomore). Mike Wallace showed star potential. So did running back Rashard Mendenhall, with his fluid yet powerful downhill burst. The offensive line was spectacular at times and seemingly absent-minded at others. RT Willie Colon was the most reliable all-around blocker. Power from mobility made LG Chris Kemoeatu the teamís most valuable lineman.

Defense

The loss of Troy Polamalu meant everything. Without him, the secondary was no longer adept at disguising coverages or cloaking unfavorable matchups. Also, the run defense became overly reliant on the inside linebackers, which isnít the worst thing but, as Pittsburgh discovered, isnít ideal. Casey Hampton was a monster. Few nose tackles have his lateral quickness and leverage. LaMarr Woodley was a first-class star, even though he didnít draw the attention that James Harrison did. Both players were dominant against the run. Still, it wasnít enough to compensate for the secondaryís crippling inconsistencies.

Top 5 Needs

1. Cornerback

Ike Taylor is fantastic, but heís it. William Gay is a liability as a starter, and nickel back Deshea Townsend should only be re-signed as a last resort.

2. Outside Linebacker

Woodley and Harrison are top five OLBs, but their backups, Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey, are undrafted young veterans with minimal experience.

3. Safety

The speedy Ryan Clark was granted his wish to return, but the versatile Tyrone Carter will probably leave. That leaves the third-year pro Ryan Mundy as the primary backup. Anyone who saw the Raider game last season knows Mundy isnít ready. He lacks elite athleticism anyway. The newcomer Will Allen was signed primarily for special teams.

4. Offensive Lineman

The starting five is set, but with last yearís third-round rookie Kraig Urbik being a disappointment,
    depth is a question.

5. Defensive End

The free agent Travis Kirschke is probably gone. Last yearís first-round pick Ziggy Hood is raw but can replace him. Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are in their 30s, but neither is slowing down (assuming Smith is healthy). That said, depth could be an issue, and the future must be planned at some point.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... -revealed/

Hall of Famer

umm i appeciate the article.. but have to disagree.
    we've given up close to 150 sacks the last 3 seasons.
    the writer didn't even mention how big the smith loss was.
    it doesn't seem like he even watched a game, let alone the last three seasons.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis

do you believe any of the 5 starters on the OL to be as bad as Willie Gay is as a starting CB?

Hall of Famer

Its got to be Urbik, he was chosen for that spot. Hopefully Kuggs can help him realize his potential this year.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Its got to be Urbik, he was chosen for that spot. Hopefully Kuggs can help him realize his potential this year.

Bruce Davis was chosen in the 3rd round to provide us depth at the OLB position and that didn't work out too well either.

Kraig Urbik was a major disappointment last season, right now he is behind Essex and Foster on the depth chart and another rookie is going to be drafted there so Urbik may well be fighting for a roster spot let alone a starting position.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis

do you believe any of the 5 starters on the OL to be as bad as Willie Gay is as a starting CB?
    The answer is NO my friend. Gay is, IMO, the worst starter on the team.