Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drafting a center...

Hall of Famer

Re: Drafting a center...

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    This is pretty much how I feel. Although I want the Steelers to draft there next "dominant" center, we may need to wait until next year. Hopefully I am saying this correctly, when you reach for a player that you probably shouldn't take at that particula round you end up with a Troy Edmonds. Although we needed a WR desparately, Boston and Holt were already drafted and we "reached" for troy (although Jevon Kearse was still on the board) and paid dearly.

Now, if we can get Pouncey in round 2, I would give it some thought. I think at pick #18 we need an impact player on the defense.

Chucktownsteeler
    NO offense but that is really a dumb line of thinking. Pouncey is clearly the #1 guy at his position, a position he would have been #1 in last year and would be #1 in next year. Troy was NEVER #1 at ANYTHING (maybe in little gridders). Pouncey may go in the top 15 and you think we should wait and see if he's there in the 2nd? give me a break.

When you reach for a position and not the BPA you get a Troy or Jamain Stephens.

Yes, I would love to draft the next great center, but now we need defensive help more.

The secondary was carved up like Thanksgiving day turkey last year and we have little or depth at safety. No guarantees the injury bug won't hit again.

Next year the center position looks deep, we'll take a shot then.
    reaching does not occur when you get the consensus best player at a position and a guy who many consider to be a top 15 talent. Gil Brandt labeled Pouncey the best center to come out in the draft in the last 10 YEARS. but if you want to continue on with the statistically worst center in football for one more year... that's all you. troy edwards was a bum. and a definite reach. but like i said, he wasn't considered highly by anyone before the draft. same thing wtih stephens. those guys weren't considered anyting special when they came out.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Hall of Famer

on another board i asked a fellow who really keys in on the OL play about tennant.

he said "he's worse then Mahan"

ouch

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    on another board i asked a fellow who really keys in on the OL play about tennant.

ouch
    I honestly believe that Pouncey will be the next Dirt Dawson...
    but if Earl Thomas is there... he'd be my pick...

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

Hall of Famer

ouch

thats who i thought of, watching how mobile he was on some of the combine drills

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I think many of us are underestimating the FO's interest in drafting a center. Last year, there were numerous post draft reports about the Steelers looking to draft either Mack or Wood in the first round, and when they missed out, trying desperately to trade up for Unger. What has changed since then? Not much. We did not bring in any FA centers. And our young players don't appear to be a substantial upgrade from Hartwig. How can anyone expect us to leave the first three rounds this year without a center?

The question I have is which center prospect makes the most sense for our team? Pouncey? Tennant? or Walton?
    My mock is based on the rumors of last years interest in a first round center. Pouncey is not my first choice. But, I believe the FO disagrees with most of us. If they were looking last year...why not this year? Considering we have a new OL coach and an appeal from the FO to run the ball more consistantly...I have to assume the OL has to be a high priority. Pouncey is better than any of the centers in last years draft (my opinion of course). So, if he is there...and a freak doesn't fall. I think he is the choice.
    Okay, let me ask this... How much better is Pouncey than Tennant?

I give Pouncey credit for his pass protection but is he really that dominate in the run game? I don't hear the scouts saying that he blows people off the ball?

I don't have a ton of exposure to Tennant to be honest. I know from my reading that they are considered in a different league. Tennant might be great...and might be a bust. I believe most scouts to believe Pouncey to be a no miss pick. He is technically superb...extremely mobile...good football head...big strong and I have read several sites that consider him gifted in the run blocking department. What I seen of him concurs with those sentiments.

My two reservations. Center at 18? I would rather have a defensive playmaker ie Thomas or Haden. And how long will it take Pouncey to transition from a shotgun style offense to the Steelers? I think there will be a small learning curve but it appears Pouncey has the goods to be great.

ouch
    What a great comparison and I agree. Dawson is the perfect comparison. Dawson's mobility is one of the things that made him so great. His ability to pull and block on the second level opened up runs not possible with other centers.

This is pretty much how I feel. Although I want the Steelers to draft there next "dominant" center, we may need to wait until next year. Hopefully I am saying this correctly, when you reach for a player that you probably shouldn't take at that particula round you end up with a Troy Edmonds. Although we needed a WR desparately, Boston and Holt were already drafted and we "reached" for troy (although Jevon Kearse was still on the board) and paid dearly.

Now, if we can get Pouncey in round 2, I would give it some thought. I think at pick #18 we need an impact player on the defense.

Chucktownsteeler
    NO offense but that is really a dumb line of thinking. Pouncey is clearly the #1 guy at his position, a position he would have been #1 in last year and would be #1 in next year. Troy was NEVER #1 at ANYTHING (maybe in little gridders). Pouncey may go in the top 15 and you think we should wait and see if he's there in the 2nd? give me a break.

When you reach for a position and not the BPA you get a Troy or Jamain Stephens.

Yes, I would love to draft the next great center, but now we need defensive help more.

The secondary was carved up like Thanksgiving day turkey last year and we have little or depth at safety. No guarantees the injury bug won't hit again.

I'm not sure I entirely agree Chuck. Our secondary play seemed to get worse as the game wore on. We gave up alot of 4th quarter passing yards. I don't believe the secondary can own all of that. Our very old front 7 have to own alot of that because they stopped getting in the QBs face. They were wore down and opposing QBs had all day to pass.

With that said, getting another DB to pair up with Taylor is huge. It needs to be addressed in the first two rounds. But, to use your own logic I will say that at 18 we will have to stretch to find a DB. Haden and Thomas will likely be gone. Wilson while gifted has had some maturity/personality issues that we don't need. Everyone else is a huge reach at 18. So, if we go DB we need to either trade up or down.

Chucktownsteeler

ok, so what impact defensive player would you draft at #18? and keep in mind that Eric Berry, Joe Haden and Earl Thomas will most likely be long gone...

Hall of Famer

shawn, your statement about the fourth qtr is huge. and spot on. I'd approach it from a little bit of a different direction. I honestly believe that if we could control the LOS on OFFENSE we would be able to keep the d off the field. How about Pouncey in the 1st Robinson in the 2nd and spikes in the 3rd? those are all very possible picks for us. it would also add depth at two key positions on defense (though I'd like to add a DE just to keep guys fresh)...

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

I think many of us are underestimating the FO's interest in drafting a center. Last year, there were numerous post draft reports about the Steelers looking to draft either Mack or Wood in the first round, and when they missed out, trying desperately to trade up for Unger. What has changed since then? Not much. We did not bring in any FA centers. And our young players don't appear to be a substantial upgrade from Hartwig. How can anyone expect us to leave the first three rounds this year without a center?

The question I have is which center prospect makes the most sense for our team? Pouncey? Tennant? or Walton?
    You are correct, the Steelers do need to upgrade the center position and that is why Pounceyman will be coming to Pittsburgh. He has been my choice for at least a month now. I won't be surpirised if they draft a RG as well at some point. Urbik is a slow footed bust. They should have never listened to Arians on that one. If Urbik doesn't somehow start this year, you can most certainly write him off.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.