Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drafting a center...

Drafting a center...

I think many of us are underestimating the FO's interest in drafting a center. Last year, there were numerous post draft reports about the Steelers looking to draft either Mack or Wood in the first round, and when they missed out, trying desperately to trade up for Unger. What has changed since then? Not much. We did not bring in any FA centers. And our young players don't appear to be a substantial upgrade from Hartwig. How can anyone expect us to leave the first three rounds this year without a center?

The question I have is which center prospect makes the most sense for our team? Pouncey? Tennant? or Walton?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Drafting a center...

Pouncey is the best of the bunch, but ideally, I would prefer to spend the #18 pick on an impact defensive player instead. However, if we were able to trade our 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up into the late first, early second area if Pouncey were still available, I would be all for that (you mentioned that we tried to trade up for Unger last year, so why not do it again this year for Pouncey when we have 10 picks and filled many of our obvious depth holes in free agency).

If we don't get Pouncey, I would consider Walton or Tennant in the 3rd or 4th rounds (or possibly spend a late round flyer on Bruce Matthews' son, Kevin, from Texas A&M). However, consider that there should be a strong center class coming out next year (similar to last year with 3 top prospects like Mack, Wood, and Unger). USC's Kris O'Dowd, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski, and even Maurkice Pouncey's twin brother Mike (he should also have the positional flexibility to play both center and guard) could be options in the late first, early second area next year as well. If we don't get Maurkice in this draft, we may be better off living with Hartwig and Legursky at center this year, and waiting until next year to get our center of the future.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend

Round 3 or 4 sounds about right. Next year even sounds better.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    I think many of us are underestimating the FO's interest in drafting a center. Last year, there were numerous post draft reports about the Steelers looking to draft either Mack or Wood in the first round, and when they missed out, trying desperately to trade up for Unger. What has changed since then? Not much. We did not bring in any FA centers. And our young players don't appear to be a substantial upgrade from Hartwig. How can anyone expect us to leave the first three rounds this year without a center?

The question I have is which center prospect makes the most sense for our team? Pouncey? Tennant? or Walton?
    My mock is based on the rumors of last years interest in a first round center. Pouncey is not my first choice. But, I believe the FO disagrees with most of us. If they were looking last year...why not this year? Considering we have a new OL coach and an appeal from the FO to run the ball more consistantly...I have to assume the OL has to be a high priority. Pouncey is better than any of the centers in last years draft (my opinion of course). So, if he is there...and a freak doesn't fall. I think he is the choice.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

My mock is based on the rumors of last years interest in a first round center. Pouncey is not my first choice. But, I believe the FO disagrees with most of us. If they were looking last year...why not this year? Considering we have a new OL coach and an appeal from the FO to run the ball more consistantly...I have to assume the OL has to be a high priority. Pouncey is better than any of the centers in last years draft (my opinion of course). So, if he is there...and a freak doesn't fall. I think he is the choice.
    Okay, let me ask this... How much better is Pouncey than Tennant?

I give Pouncey credit for his pass protection but is he really that dominate in the run game? I don't hear the scouts saying that he blows people off the ball?

This is pretty much how I feel. Although I want the Steelers to draft there next "dominant" center, we may need to wait until next year. Hopefully I am saying this correctly, when you reach for a player that you probably shouldn't take at that particula round you end up with a Troy Edmonds. Although we needed a WR desparately, Boston and Holt were already drafted and we "reached" for troy (although Jevon Kearse was still on the board) and paid dearly.

Now, if we can get Pouncey in round 2, I would give it some thought. I think at pick #18 we need an impact player on the defense.

Chucktownsteeler

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

Okay, let me ask this... How much better is Pouncey than Tennant?

I give Pouncey credit for his pass protection but is he really that dominate in the run game? I don't hear the scouts saying that he blows people off the ball?
    umm then you should listen more closely. all the scouts are touting his strength. and btw, just because the gators didn't have a stud RB they still managed to run the ball quiet well. they just split carries between essentially 4 players.
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler
    This is pretty much how I feel. Although I want the Steelers to draft there next "dominant" center, we may need to wait until next year. Hopefully I am saying this correctly, when you reach for a player that you probably shouldn't take at that particula round you end up with a Troy Edmonds. Although we needed a WR desparately, Boston and Holt were already drafted and we "reached" for troy (although Jevon Kearse was still on the board) and paid dearly.

Now, if we can get Pouncey in round 2, I would give it some thought. I think at pick #18 we need an impact player on the defense.

Chucktownsteeler
    NO offense but that is really a dumb line of thinking. Pouncey is clearly the #1 guy at his position, a position he would have been #1 in last year and would be #1 in next year. Troy was NEVER #1 at ANYTHING (maybe in little gridders). Pouncey may go in the top 15 and you think we should wait and see if he's there in the 2nd? give me a break.

Hall of Famer

not sure if you guys get this but the gators rushed for 3105 yds last year. 5.5 yards a carry, 221.8 yds a game and had 30 rushing touchdowns...
    http://gatorzone.com/football/stats/team.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler
    NO offense but that is really a dumb line of thinking. Pouncey is clearly the #1 guy at his position, a position he would have been #1 in last year and would be #1 in next year. Troy was NEVER #1 at ANYTHING (maybe in little gridders). Pouncey may go in the top 15 and you think we should wait and see if he's there in the 2nd? give me a break.

When you reach for a position and not the BPA you get a Troy or Jamain Stephens.

Yes, I would love to draft the next great center, but now we need defensive help more.

The secondary was carved up like Thanksgiving day turkey last year and we have little or depth at safety. No guarantees the injury bug won't hit again.

Next year the center position looks deep, we'll take a shot then.