Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision Monday at 2:00 pm in BB case

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Decision Monday at 2:00 pm in BB case

Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    Holding a presser has nothing to do with what the outcome will be. If Ben isn't charged and the DA doesn't hold a PC, the media will be hounding him with questions and, FWIW.....

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. — Baldwin County District Attorney Fred Bright said today he completed his investigation into allegations that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted a Georgia College & State University student and will announce the results Monday.

A criminal lawyer not connected with the case said that likely means no charges will happen in the case.

"Had they wanted to arrest Roethlisberger, they would've issued a warrant, not waited for a press conference on Monday," said B.J. Bernstein of Atlanta, one of the nation's most high-profile defense attorneys.

"If they had wanted to send this matter to a grand jury, which is a closed process, they would not have a public press conference to do that," Bernstein said. "Most likely, what we're seeing here is that the district attorney has chosen to drop the matter."

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_675686.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 75686.html[/url]

Its a controlled environment when you do not hold a presser. You can choose which reporters to speak to, etc. At a presser, you have much less control over questions and who ask them.

I can only speak of my personal experience in TN with criminal matters. I know here the DA often has the case much sooner that it is reported that the case has been turned over to them. In a lot of instances here, the Grandy Jury has already heard the case without anyone the wiser. They will then hold a presser and announce the Grand Jury has handed down an indictment.

However, I am just speculating and I do not know that its the case here. The criminal attorney above may be exactly right.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    so i wonder how MSM feels about all this.. is he in his moms basement crying yet?
    Are we allowed to bring up his name without a select few having a mental break down? If so, I'll post articles on what he thinks.

I would like it if you posted them.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Decision Monday in BB case

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    As a lawyer let me tell you, the DA doesn't hold a presser to say that charges won't be filed. They like the media spotlight when they are prosecuting a big time case.

They do not like the media spotlight when they are not prosecuting a big time case. I really hope I am wrong and would be glad to admit I am when it happens, but Big Ben is going to be charged and then Goodell is going to come through with an indefinite suspension.

This of course does not mean that Big Ben is guilty or will be convicted of the crime.
    BigRob, if you have experience dealing with criminal matters, I will gladly defer to your judgment and experience on the issue.

I know that the GBI, in particular, was critical of the media. So my hope is that the DA may want to announce that the GBI did a thorough investigation that clears Ben, with the press conference allowing him to defend them before facing any potential media scrutiny. I may well be wrong, but with the scope of this case, I think he'd hold a press conference one way or another.

One last thought -- if Ben was going to be charged, wouldn't you want to file charges first and then hold a press conference?
    I am just speculating based on what has happened here in TN in my little corner of the woods. It may very well be that he is announcing he is not pressing charges. However, the Grand Jury and the D.A. may have had this case sooner that it was reported that it was turned over to the D.A.

It will be very interesting to see what happens here. It could be that Big Ben has come to a civil agreement with the alleged victim and the alleged victim has stated that she does not want the case prosecuted. It would save the D.A. a big headache. If the case is not prosecuted it will be very interesting if a settlement is announced within a few weeks with the alleged victim.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Starter

User Info Menu

Think about this logically...

Ben has one of the best lawyers in the country (at these types of incidents) and plenty of money to 'get things done'. Ben's $100 million career hangs in the balance. If things looked even remotely like he could be charged/prosecuted, his attorney would recognize the danger and buy his way out. Remember, this not a murder trial, this is a he said/she said possible sexual assault with no 'consummation' (semen). If the girl 'agrees' not to testify, there is no case (see Kobe Bryant Anti-conviction Strategies 101). He is buying her off, plain and simple, case closed. Remember back when the girl mysteriously stopped talking to the GBI/police. Why would she do that if she was going ahead with the case(s)? She would be there every day if they asked, at the drop of a hat. Ben has made zero comments/public sightings since the allegations. He is guilty of something. At least enough circumstantial evidence to go to trial and find out. The FO is concerned for Ben personally and for the franchise. There is way too much money at stake here. Ben is/must buy his way out. As far as the media conference, the DA has to have a conference one way or the other. No way can he write a statement saying, 'We're not going to prosecute' then slip away into the shadows. Plus remember the GBI's 'eating crow' statement. The media has been hounding them to press charges since day one. How would the media be eating crow if he IS charged (as they have been assuming his guilt all along)? Fear not Steeler fans... Ben walks Monday.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Think about this logically...

Ben has one of the best lawyers in the country (at these types of incidents) and plenty of money to 'get things done'. Ben's $100 million career hangs in the balance. If things looked even remotely like he could be charged/prosecuted, his attorney would recognize the danger and buy his way out. Remember, this not a murder trial, this is a he said/she said possible sexual assault with no 'consummation' (semen). If the girl 'agrees' not to testify, there is no case (see Kobe Bryant Anti-conviction Strategies 101). He is buying her off, plain and simple, case closed. Remember back when the girl mysteriously stopped talking to the GBI/police. Why would she do that if she was going ahead with the case(s)? She would be there every day if they asked, at the drop of a hat. Ben has made zero comments/public sightings since the allegations. He is guilty of something. At least enough circumstantial evidence to go to trial and find out. The FO is concerned for Ben personally and for the franchise. There is way too much money at stake here. Ben is/must buy his way out. As far as the media conference, the DA has to have a conference one way or the other. No way can he write a statement saying, 'We're not going to prosecute' then slip away into the shadows. Plus remember the GBI's 'eating crow' statement. The media has been hounding them to press charges since day one. How would the media be eating crow if he IS charged (as they have been assuming his guilt all along)? Fear not Steeler fans... Ben walks Monday.

He can only buy his way out of a civil suit. It would have been illegal to pay the latest accuser. he can pay off McNulty and get rid of her, but by him fighting it, I believe proves his innocence.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Um, maybe it's just me, but I don't think you can buy your way out of a criminal trial. As has been mentioned, a civil suit is very different.

Besides, if BB thinks he has problems now, wait until the word gets out that he's a "payer." He might as well live in a frickin' bubble after that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Um, maybe it's just me, but I don't think you can buy your way out of a criminal trial. As has been mentioned, a civil suit is very different.

Besides, if BB thinks he has problems now, wait until the word gets out that he's a "payer." He might as well live in a frickin' bubble after that.
    LOL, it happens all the time. The Victim would have to testify in a Trial. The victim can accept a civil settlement and then stop cooperating in the case with the D.A. Don't fool yourself, people buy themselves out of criminal trouble all of the time.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    so i wonder how MSM feels about all this.. is he in his moms basement crying yet?
    Are we allowed to bring up his name without a select few having a mental break down? If so, I'll post articles on what he thinks.

I would most definitely not. There's a reason this friggin toolbag is banned.

No offense, but if you'd like to read his thoughts I'm sure there are outlets other than this forum for it.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

Wasn't MSM hired by Garland's team of investigators?

Legend

User Info Menu

FWIW Here is my $0.02

- In a case of this profile - especially for such a tiny town - The DA holds a PC regardless of the decision. As mentioned earlier, DAs like the face time and he is not as worried about backlash as others would be since he has run unopposed in the past.

- If charges were to be filed then you would think the the #1 priority would be securing the man charged rather than warning him in advance that you are coming. The worst political blunder would be "We went to Pittsburgh in an effort to bring him back to face trial but he is away on vacation somewhere and we can't find him."

Expect to hear the words "insufficient evidence" on Monday. IMO charges will not be filed.