Thread: Steelers bring in Dez Bryant and Golden Tate

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers bring in Dez Bryant and Golden Tate

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL

They wouldn't get "nothing"...they would get a third in compensation.
    When have the Steelers ever gotten a 3rd for any player in compensation?

Let's say they do..thats soemwhere around the 93rd to 95th pick. Why not trade him for someones 3rd round pick? and gain maybe some 15-20 spots in the draft.
    But Comp picks are based on what you gain vs what you lose. He would be a lose vs what you gain next year. So you can't just say we will get a 5th. Next year we won't get any picks for Parker because we brought in Allen, Battle, ARE, and whoever else.
    exactly-

plus, that would be a pick 3 drafts from now- 2012 - assuming the CBA issues are resolved.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

They wouldn't get "nothing"...they would get a third in compensation.
    When have the Steelers ever gotten a 3rd for any player in compensation?

Let's say they do..thats soemwhere around the 93rd to 95th pick. Why not trade him for someones 3rd round pick? and gain maybe some 15-20 spots in the draft.
    But Comp picks are based on what you gain vs what you lose. He would be a lose vs what you gain next year. So you can't just say we will get a 5th. Next year we won't get any picks for Parker because we brought in Allen, Battle, ARE, and whoever else.
    exactly-

plus, that would be a pick 3 drafts from now- 2012 - assuming the CBA issues are resolved.
    Not sure if I am misreading what your intent is here, but there is a draft in 2011 even if there is a lockout....pretty sure anyway...
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

Not sure if I am misreading what your intent is here, but there is a draft in 2011 even if there is a lockout....pretty sure anyway...

There is a draft in 2011 yes. But Holmes would not net us a pick until the 2012 draft which is 3 drafts away. This year's, 2011's in which Holmes would be playing for his new FA team. That's the year the Playing time the player receives with the new team is factored into the calculations for comp picks. Then we would receive the pick in the 2012 draft. Holmes is still under contract this year. So he wouldn't be a FA until 2011.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

There is a draft in 2011 yes. But Holmes would not net us a pick until the 2012 draft which is 3 drafts away. This year's, 2011's in which Holmes would be playing for his new FA team. That's the year the Playing time the player receives with the new team is factored into the calculations for comp picks. Then we would receive the pick in the 2012 draft. Holmes is still under contract this year. So he wouldn't be a FA until 2011.
    Yeah, that is what I was trying to convey.

My comment regarding the CBA issue- was the whole "up in the air" aspect. Who knows what is going to happen, or how it will shake out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Interesting scenario: We trade Holmes to the Red Skins to give McNabb someone to throw the ball to and our 18 spot for their 4 spot. Then we draft "a boy named" Suh for Dline... Or McCoy or the LT from OSU.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Smokescreen...

Not drafting a WR high in this draft, IMO

Pappy
    Exactly.

Starter

User Info Menu

Because you never know what might happen in the draft. Maybe one of them will fall to a point where we feel we might can trade up. I don't think it has anything to do with Holmes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Interesting scenario: We trade Holmes to the Red Skins to give McNabb someone to throw the ball to and our 18 spot for their 4 spot. Then we draft "a boy named" Suh for Dline... Or McCoy or the LT from OSU.
    I'd be very, very excited about that trade if we got Suh, but the reality is he will probably go 2 or 3, so would we want Okung as our future LT and then what happens to Starks? He moves back to RT? Maybe, but I think I might want to take a difference maker on defense like Eric Berry or Joe Haden. But, not sure I'd want them at #4.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

@RavensInsider RB LeGarrette Blount visiting the Steelers today as well as LBs Koa Misi and Adrian Tracy; OT Bryan Bulaga visited Tuesday.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    No team in the NFL will give the Steelers a first round pick for Santonio Holmes...let alone the number 4 pick in the first round. Not gonna happen. Sorry.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash