Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

  1. #1
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,385

    Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    If the draft fell like this, I would try to trade up a few picks for Haden, but I wanted to do a first round mock with no projected trades. I know the Post-Gazette reported that we are no longer interested in a safety in the first round, but I know enough not to believe a d@mn thing a team says about the draft in early April (no one can tell truth from smokescreen at this point in time). Thomas is young (a 20 year old redshirt sophomore) and the Tomlin era Steelers have a propensity for picking younger-than-average prospects (Timmons and Mendenhall were both only 20 when we drafted them as well). Plus, Thomas has the positional flexibility that makes our coaching staff drool. They want guards who can also play tackle or center. They want linebackers that can play both inside and outside. They want d-lineman that can rotate to various spots on our 3 man base line or our 4 man nickle or dime line. They want TE's who can also play FB. They want WR's who can also play QB. Thomas' potential to play virtually anywhere in the secondary fits this modus operandi.

    St. Louis (1-15) Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    Detroit (2-14) Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    Tampa Bay (3-13) Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    Washington (4-12) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    Kansas City (4-12) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Seattle (5-11) Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    Cleveland (5-11) Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
    Oakland (5-11) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    Buffalo (6-10) Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    Jacksonville (7-9) Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    Denver - from Chicago (7-9) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    Miami (7-9) Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    San Francisco (8- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Seattle - from Denver (8- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    New York Giants (8- Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
    Tennessee (8- Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    San Francisco - from Carolina (8- Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    Pittsburgh (9-7) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
    Atlanta (9-7) Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    Houston (9-7) C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    Cincinnati (10-6) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    New England (10-6) Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    Green Bay (11-5) Charles Brown, OT, USC
    Philadelphia (11-5) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    Baltimore (9-7) Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State
    Arizona (10-6) Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
    Dallas (11-5) Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
    San Diego (13-3) Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno St.
    New York Jets (9-7) Taylor Mays, S, USC
    Minnesota (12-4) Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    Indianapolis (14-2) Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    New Orleans (13-3) Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida

    I also wanted to do a second mock which looked at what might happen if things don't go as planned (and they rarely do). For example, if the Rams didn't take Bradford as everyone expects they will, how far would he fall? Washington would have jumped all over that a week ago, but not now in that the McNabb era is underway. K.C. and Seattle could both use him, but the Chiefs spent a ton in terms of contract money and draft pick compensation to get Cassell last year and Seattle just traded a surprising amount to get Charlie Whitehurst (and they still have Hasselbeck). So, for my alternate mock draft, I looked at who I had each team taking in the previous mock above, and forced them to take someone else instead, just to see how it worked out. It wasn't always easy (for example, I think Tampa will undoubtedly take McCoy or Suh, depending on which is available, but with Suh going to the Rams in my alternate mock, and the Bucs not allowed to take McCoy again according to my alternate mock rule, I had to give them what I felt was the best available player).

    St. Louis (1-15) Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    Detroit (2-14) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    Tampa Bay (3-13) Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    Washington (4-12) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Kansas City (4-12) Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Seattle (5-11) Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    Cleveland (5-11) Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    Oakland (5-11) Taylor Mays, S, USC
    Buffalo (6-10) Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    Jacksonville (7-9) Tim Tebow, QB Florida
    Denver - from Chicago (7-9) Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    Miami (7-9) Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
    San Francisco (8- Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    Seattle - from Denver (8- C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    New York Giants (8- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    Tennessee (8- Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    San Francisco - from Carolina (8- Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
    Pittsburgh (9-7) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    Atlanta (9-7) Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
    Houston (9-7) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
    Cincinnati (10-6) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    New England (10-6) Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
    Green Bay (11-5) Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    Philadelphia (11-5) Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    Baltimore (9-7) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    Arizona (10-6) Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    Dallas (11-5) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    San Diego (13-3) Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
    New York Jets (9-7) Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State
    Minnesota (12-4) Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
    Indianapolis (14-2) Charles Brown, OT, USC
    New Orleans (13-3) Everson Griffen, DE, USC


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,382

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Very creative, and I agree that just because the Steelers are saying they are not looking at S in the first round does not mean they won't draft one. But why do we take Thomas in one and Wilson in the other when they are both on your boards when we pick?

  3. #3
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,133

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Those are truly two well-thought out mock drafts that merit praise and compliments!

    but seriously, good stuff RB!

  4. #4
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,385

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Very creative, and I agree that just because the Steelers are saying they are not looking at S in the first round does not mean they won't draft one. But why do we take Thomas in one and Wilson in the other when they are both on your boards when we pick?
    I like Thomas better than Wilson, but the rule I gave myself for the alternate mock was that no team could draft the same player the second time...have to switch it up (although, now that I look at it, Haden ended up a Niner in both drafts, but he was taken at #13 in one and at #17 in the other, so at least no player was taken in the same spot in both drafts).


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  5. #5
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,635

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Those are excellent mock drafts. :P

    Pappy


    1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  6. #6

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If the draft fell like this, I would try to trade up a few picks for Haden, but I wanted to do a first round mock with no projected trades. I know the Post-Gazette reported that we are no longer interested in a safety in the first round, but I know enough not to believe a d@mn thing a team says about the draft in early April (no one can tell truth from smokescreen at this point in time). Thomas is young (a 20 year old redshirt sophomore) and the Tomlin era Steelers have a propensity for picking younger-than-average prospects (Timmons and Mendenhall were both only 20 when we drafted them as well). Plus, Thomas has the positional flexibility that makes our coaching staff drool. They want guards who can also play tackle or center. They want linebackers that can play both inside and outside. They want d-lineman that can rotate to various spots on our 3 man base line or our 4 man nickle or dime line. They want TE's who can also play FB. They want WR's who can also play QB. Thomas' potential to play virtually anywhere in the secondary fits this modus operandi.

    St. Louis (1-15) Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    Detroit (2-14) Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    Tampa Bay (3-13) Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    Washington (4-12) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    Kansas City (4-12) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Seattle (5-11) Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    Cleveland (5-11) Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
    Oakland (5-11) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    Buffalo (6-10) Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    Jacksonville (7-9) Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    Denver - from Chicago (7-9) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    Miami (7-9) Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    San Francisco (8- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Seattle - from Denver (8- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    New York Giants (8- Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
    Tennessee (8- Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    San Francisco - from Carolina (8- Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    Pittsburgh (9-7) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
    Atlanta (9-7) Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    Houston (9-7) C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    Cincinnati (10-6) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    New England (10-6) Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    Green Bay (11-5) Charles Brown, OT, USC
    Philadelphia (11-5) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    Baltimore (9-7) Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State
    Arizona (10-6) Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
    Dallas (11-5) Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
    San Diego (13-3) Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno St.
    New York Jets (9-7) Taylor Mays, S, USC
    Minnesota (12-4) Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    Indianapolis (14-2) Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    New Orleans (13-3) Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida

    I also wanted to do a second mock which looked at what might happen if things don't go as planned (and they rarely do). For example, if the Rams didn't take Bradford as everyone expects they will, how far would he fall? Washington would have jumped all over that a week ago, but not now in that the McNabb era is underway. K.C. and Seattle could both use him, but the Chiefs spent a ton in terms of contract money and draft pick compensation to get Cassell last year and Seattle just traded a surprising amount to get Charlie Whitehurst (and they still have Hasselbeck). So, for my alternate mock draft, I looked at who I had each team taking in the previous mock above, and forced them to take someone else instead, just to see how it worked out. It wasn't always easy (for example, I think Tampa will undoubtedly take McCoy or Suh, depending on which is available, but with Suh going to the Rams in my alternate mock, and the Bucs not allowed to take McCoy again according to my alternate mock rule, I had to give them what I felt was the best available player).

    St. Louis (1-15) Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    Detroit (2-14) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    Tampa Bay (3-13) Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    Washington (4-12) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Kansas City (4-12) Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Seattle (5-11) Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    Cleveland (5-11) Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    Oakland (5-11) Taylor Mays, S, USC
    Buffalo (6-10) Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    Jacksonville (7-9) Tim Tebow, QB Florida
    Denver - from Chicago (7-9) Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    Miami (7-9) Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
    San Francisco (8- Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    Seattle - from Denver (8- C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    New York Giants (8- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    Tennessee (8- Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    San Francisco - from Carolina (8- Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
    Pittsburgh (9-7) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    Atlanta (9-7) Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
    Houston (9-7) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
    Cincinnati (10-6) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    New England (10-6) Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
    Green Bay (11-5) Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    Philadelphia (11-5) Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    Baltimore (9-7) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    Arizona (10-6) Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    Dallas (11-5) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    San Diego (13-3) Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
    New York Jets (9-7) Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn State
    Minnesota (12-4) Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
    Indianapolis (14-2) Charles Brown, OT, USC
    New Orleans (13-3) Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    There are usually one or two surprises in the first half of the first round, meaning teams over-draft a prospect that we all expected to go later. I don't see that as much this year. There just aren't a lot of 'over-athletic' wild cards like years past. Our whole draft might actually hinge on two teams. Oakland and Seattle. I'm really counting on Oakland to do something stupid, but the more i think about it, the more I worry they might take a safer pick (based on the last few years' blunders). I would love for them to take Campbell but remember... Seattle must draft a left tackle this year. If Okung and Bulaga are gone (as expected by many) I doubt Seattle will go Trent Williams at 6. They might try to wait until 14. If he's gone by then, do they draft Campbell or trade down to go with Charles Brown (who Pete Carroll is very familiar with). I also think based on Chris Johnson's production, Spiller will go higher than 20. Both of those factors should push a prime prospect our way.

    I expect Wilson or Thomas will be our pick. I know there's a lot of talk about Pouncey and Iupati, but I honestly think that's a smokescreen. Look at the overall nfl draft history. How many centers go at 1.18? How many guards go at 1.18? That's just so high for an interior lineman.

  7. #7
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,133

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Very creative, and I agree that just because the Steelers are saying they are not looking at S in the first round does not mean they won't draft one. But why do we take Thomas in one and Wilson in the other when they are both on your boards when we pick?
    I like Thomas better than Wilson, but the rule I gave myself for the alternate mock was that no team could draft the same player the second time...have to switch it up (although, now that I look at it, Haden ended up a Niner in both drafts, but he was taken at #13 in one and at #17 in the other, so at least no player was taken in the same spot in both drafts).


    CB is our biggest weakness, i would be more than happy with either Thomas or Wilson.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Good job- we'll see how many you get right in the not to distant future.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  9. #9
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,385

    Re: Ruthless' 1st Round Mock (no trades) and Alternate 1st Round

    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Good job- we'll see how many you get right in the not to distant future.
    Yeah, the draft is only 2 weeks and 2 days away! Woo hoo!

    I'm already re-thinking parts of this mock, though. I'm thinking that in Seattle's case at #14, if they didn't take an OT at #6, Pete Carroll may opt for his boy Charles Brown over Rutger's Anthony Davis. Davis may be more physically gifted, but with questions about work ethic and maturity, he may prefer a guy he knows well since he coached him on the college level just last season.

    I'm sure I'll do at least one more mock before the actual festivities start (and I think I'll do at least a full first and second round next time...maybe even 3 rounds if I feel up to it).


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •