Thread: Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, April 8, 2010
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_675370.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 75370.html[/url]

Unrestricted free agent Nick Eason, who started five games in 2009, will re-sign Thursday with the Steelers.

"He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh because of his love of the city and the team," agent David Wyatt said Wednesday night.

Wyatt said Eason, a defensive end who also visited the Arizona Cardinals, agreed to terms and the Steelers sent a contract to Georgia for him to sign.

Eason, who turns 30 next month, has served in a backup capacity the past three seasons. With veteran Travis Kirschke expected to retire, Eason's role could expand, along with Ziggy Hood, last year's first-round draft pick, and second-year-player Sunny Harris.

Eason totaled 16 tackles in eight games last season.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

I like Eason. I think this was a good move. And his cousin gave me an incredible recipe for banana pudding!

Legend

User Info Menu

"He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh because of his love of the city and the team," agent David Wyatt said Wednesday night.
    Well, that would be nice.
    I suspect the real reason was that no one else showed much interest in him.

Anyway, with Kirschke going out, it's good to have him on-board for depth.

Legend

User Info Menu

He came a long way from his first season in Pittsburgh, when he was downright awful. Now, he is a valuable veteran backup, and still at a reasonable age where he should be able to stick around for a while (6 years younger than Kirschke, and 4 years younger than Hoke).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Glad to see he's back. He's no world beater, but he's a more than adequate backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    He came a long way from his first season in Pittsburgh, when he was downright awful. Now, he is a valuable veteran backup, and still at a reasonable age where he should be able to stick around for a while (6 years younger than Kirschke, and 4 years younger than Hoke).

I'm glad to see him back in the fold. With Eason, Ziggy and Sonny Harris, the Steelers have a nice mix of veteran depth and young players with upside at DE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I'm glad to see him back in the fold. With Eason, Ziggy and Sonny Harris, the Steelers have a nice mix of veteran depth and young players with upside at DE.
    Agree. As pointed out Eason has developed into a serviceable depth player with experience in our system. It is also good to have players who want to be here and appreciate the situation.

From a draft standpoint I think this removes any consideration of DL until very late in the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

its a smart move. eason is a solid back up. his first year he was awful but he has improved a ton. i remember hearing that he was out of shape in the 07 season which made a big difference

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers look to be targeting mid to late round DE's anyway...Mike Neal, Clifton Geathers...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This tells me we are going after another DL and trying to mask it. Sneaky Steelers.

Eason and Harris will battle for the last spot.