Thread: could Penn St DE Jared Odrick be a Top-10 pick?

could Penn St DE Jared Odrick be a Top-10 pick?

Jared Odrick would make a great DE in our 3-4 also, if we hadn't drafted Ziggy #1 last year he would be my pick.

Cleveland Browns' new possible draft target: Penn State lineman Jared Odrick

April 05, 2010, 11:39AM

CLEVELAND -- The new name to watch as a contender for the Browns' first draft choice is Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick.

"He's a guy who's gained significant traction on NFL draft boards and the Browns are right on him," said a league source.

The Browns have worked out Odrick privately and also plan to bring him to Berea before the draft.

Odrick is 6-5 and weighs 304 pounds and possesses long arms and big hands. He played inside in Penn State's four-man line but is considered a perfect end in the Browns' 3-4 defense.

"You're talking a defensive lineman that does not have any fat on him," said the source. "He's all muscle. He's a tailor-made Patriots type of player. Richard Seymour-type. He's perfect for what the Browns do on their defensive line."

Evidently the Patriots see a bit of Seymour, their former star lineman, in Odrick. They have been on his trail for weeks. But they draft 22nd and know that Odrick will be long gone.

Once considered a borderline first-round pick, Odrick is one of eight players invited by the NFL to attend the April 22-24 draft in New York City.

Since the Browns acquired Philadelphia cornerback Sheldon Brown last week, it has been assumed that they now can rivet their attention to acquiring Tennessee safety Eric Berry with the No. 7 overall pick. The source believes that Berry remains a consideration with Earl Thomas of Texas, but Odrick would be the choice because he would have a bigger impact than either safety.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert consistently has stated his belief that elite teams are built on the offensive and defensive lines.

Odrick makes sense for the Browns because their starting ends in 2009 both are over 30. Kenyon Coleman turns 31 this month and Robaire Smith is 33.

Also, nose tackle Shaun Rogers' future is uncertain after he was arrested last week at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport for trying to board an airplane with a loaded gun. Moving Rogers to end was a possibility before the incident.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... sible.html

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: could Penn St DE Jared Odrick be a Top-10 pick?

I would laugh and laugh if the Browns passed on Berry to take Odrick.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I would laugh and laugh if the Browns passed on Berry to take Odrick.

i'll give the Brownies the benefit of the doubt on this one, this is just a smokescreen so another team doesn't trade ahead of them to take Berry.

Hall of Famer

I haven't been around lately, so can anyone (i.e. Penn St fan) give me OUR popular opinion on Odrick. Just by reading up on him, he has a lot of Aaron Smith-like qualities. (OTOH, he also has similarites in terms of written description, with a lot of guys who haven't panned out.)

Personally, if we go defense, I want a guy who "makes a difference" if that makes sense. Ziggy (as an example), as much as I like him, he's not what I consider a difference-maker. A guy like Weatherspoon, Brian Price, Earl Thomas, these are difference-makers to me.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

NFL | Plenty of interest in Odrick

Tue, 06 Apr 2010

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos and Atlanta Falcons have all expressed interest in Penn State DL Jared Odrick.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#636883#ixzz0kLYbu8un

April 6

(9:00 AM): A couple of interior defensive linemen in Tennessee NT Dan Williams and Penn State DT Jared Odrick are moving up draft boards.

Odrick may be the more surprising late entry, but he is in fact is one of nine players who have been invited to New York to attend the draft and according to a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer is starting to get a lot of consideration from 3-4 teams looking for a DE. Indeed, according to a report in the Plain Dealer, Odrick is getting some serious consideration from Cleveland for the 7th pick overall, although the Browns are still expected to go with a defensive back, either Tennessee safety Eric Berry, if he is available, Texas safety Earl Thomas or Florida CB Joe Haden.

Meanwhile, Williams is also gaining traction among 3-4 teams, but with those looking for a rock-solid NT and could also go much earlier than originally projected with Miami at #12 and Pittsburgh at #18 real possibilities

http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

I personally think he is going to turn into a better pro than Gerald McCoy...so if McCoy is a top 5...well...I could see Odrick as a top 10.

The Seymour comparison is a good one in my opinion. Seymour in his prime was the best 3-4 DE in the league.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    I personally think he is going to turn into a better pro than Gerald McCoy...so if McCoy is a top 5...well...I could see Odrick as a top 10.

The Seymour comparison is a good one in my opinion. Seymour in his prime was the best 3-4 DE in the league.
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think there's a case to be made for Aaron Smith being as good as Seymour. And the numbers support it.

Games - Solo - Assists - Total - Sacks - Int - FF - Passes Defended
    127 - 256 - 150 - 406 - 43 - 2 - 4 - 32
    versus
    150 - 319 - 117 - 436 - 44 - 1 - 7 - 21

Seymour has more positional flexibility, but as a 3-4 DE, I don't think he's any better than Smith. If Smith was the 6th pick in the draft instead of a 4th rounder, more people would agree.

I think Dick Lebeau might agree when he said Smith just can't be blocked.

Peter King may also agree considering he put Smith on his 2000 all decade team. Surprisingly, no Seymour on that team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/m ... index.html

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Personally, Chadman doesn't see Odrick going Top 15.

From #20 onwards- he'll likely slip in there.

The DL that will get 'overdrafted' will be Dan Williams- NT's for 3-4 teams are hard to come by. Chiefs reached on Tyson Jackson last season...Williams at #5...fits a need....and completes the transition from 4-3 to 3-4 defense...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00