Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB Dan LeFevour looked at by Steelers team scouts

Legend

User Info Menu

QB Dan LeFevour looked at by Steelers team scouts

MOUNT PLEASANT, MI. - As the Steelers begin their visits with potential draft picks this week, here's a player to keep in mind.

Former Central Michigan record setting quarterback Dan LeFevour. Although he hasn't been scheduled for a visit, a source with the MAC Conference told Examiner.com that Steelers reps at his recent pro day came away impressed with what they saw.

Like current Steeler Ben Roethlisberger and former Steeler Byron Leftwich, Lefevour hails from a Mid American Conference school but has all the tools of both the latter to play and succeed at the next level.

LeFevour, who is 6-foot-2, 229 pounds ended his CMU career with 15,853 total yards (12,905 passing) and 150 touchdowns (102 passing, 47 rushing and one receiving). He is also very smart and tossed just 36 picks during his career.

Like many college quarterbacks today though, he took the majority of snaps out of the shotgun formation.

"It's different when you put the pads on and go 11 on 11," LeFevour admitted after his workout. "It wasn't as smooth as if I would be in the gun, but its still a work in progress and I don't mind it."

Like Florida quarterback Tom Tebow, who many are debating whether can succeed at the NFL, LeFevour has been working on his mechanics with former NFL quarterback Zeke Bratkowski to ready himself for the next level.

During his workout, LeFevour who ran an impressive 4.66 at the NFL Combine, tossed 62 balls, completing 55 of them.

"I think the scouts wanted to see how I flowed under center and I even took some one-handed snaps just to show that I have been working hard on that,” LeFevour said. “I think they just wanted to see that I could make all of the throws quarterbacks need to make. I was glad that I could show them what I have been working on and how I have progressed.

"Obviously, I always want to do better. "I wish I could have put a little more on my ball, and been little more accurate.'

The Steelers brass just re-signed Charlie Batch and also have Dennis Dixon, who was promising last year under center in his lone start. They have also said despite the ongoing Roethlisberger saga, they have not tweaked plans for the draft to take a QB in the early rounds.

But LeFevour could be available in the mid rounds as many draft sites have him going as late as the fourth and fifth round. He also has put up big numbers, albeit in a football conference that doesn't get the Press of a Big East or SEC.

NFL DRAFT DOG had this to say about LeFevour which are lofty words considering what Roethlisberger did while at Miami.

"LeFevour is going to shoot up the draft boards around the league. When the draft smoke clears, I expect to see him in the 2nd round rather than the 4th or 5th like other draft forecasts project. The opinions vary widely about his pro potential. One scout said he is the best QB to come out of the MAC in the last 10 years. Given the success that MAC conference QBs have had, that is a big statement. "

LeFevour has said that Carolina is the only team as of yet to schedule a private workout, but Charlie Weiss, who was on hand at his workout and the Kansas City Chiefs are apparently very interested in him along with Seattle, and the Browns. are also rumored to be in the mix as Mike Holmgren is intrigued according to sources.

Asked about his chances of going high in the draft, LeFevour said he doesn't pay much attention to that.

"I try not to," LeFevour said. "None of those sites have draft picks. And like rapper Public Enemy says 'Don't Believe the Hype.'"

[url="http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d29-Pittsburgh-Steelers-draft-digest-Quarterback-Dan-LeFevour-llooked-at-by-team-scouts"]http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... eam-scouts[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: QB Dan LeFevour looked at by Steelers team scouts

He will be gone by the time the Steelers are willing to select a QB...which will be no earlier than the 5th.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Say the Steelers did take a QB in the first round, would that mean that Bens days are over with the Steelers ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Say the Steelers did take a QB in the first round, would that mean that Bens days are over with the Steelers ?
    No, but if his days are over that would help save the Steelers days.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I think he is the best QB in this draft. Claussen has a decent arm but he didn't have a killer instinct at ND and his pocket presence was ehhh...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour fails to impress at pro day
    By Rob Otto
    March 24, 2010,

Today was Dan LeFevour's big chance.

The former Central Michigan quarterback showed off for personnel from 31 NFL teams at CMU's pro day in Mt. Pleasant. Among those reportedly in attendance were Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren.

LeFevour, who did not throw to receivers at the NFL Combine, made up for that today by completing 55 of 62 passes to live targets.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like he changed perceptions for the better.

March 24, TFY Draft Insider: His short and intermediate passes were solid but LeFevour struggled throwing the ball downfield. Receivers were slowing up in their routes to catch the ball and in some instances out-running LeFevour’s deep passes altogether.
    Working from under center and throwing the deep ball are the things LeFevour had to prove to NFL teams that he could do consistently. He said afterward that the scouts told him he has work to do, but teams are noticing him.

March 24, detnews.com: "They said (I) have things to improve on coming from the shotgun, but they said my stock has been going up steadily and (I'll) be just fine," LeFevour said.
    In many mock drafts I have seen, LeFevour is projected as a third round pick. I have predicted that LeFevour will end up going in the fourth round, and nothing I read today has changed that perception.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I think some people here love stirin' the pot of ignorance.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

I got Steelers Fevour.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    By Rob Otto
    March 24, 2010,

March 24, TFY Draft Insider: His short and intermediate passes were solid but LeFevour struggled throwing the ball downfield. Receivers were slowing up in their routes to catch the ball and in some instances out-running LeFevour’s deep passes altogether.

Marc

Not like Ben throws the best deep ball either.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    By Rob Otto
    March 24, 2010,

Marc

Not like Ben throws the best deep ball either.
    He's very similar to Ben in that he finds ways to get it done. I too, think he'll be the best QB of this draft class, three years down the road.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII