Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holmes rumor...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Holmes rumor...

With his new charges of assault, it got me rethinking of this rumor, (that I either read here or off another forum) that Holmes is on the trade market for draft picks. It appeared the day after his last weed charge and the signing of Battle and EL.

It really doesn't make sense to trade one of our key skilled players on O. But on the other side, Holmes continued off field troubles, his contract expiring at an assumed high cost, along with the stop gap FA WRs signed, and with the emergence of Wallace last year, it does make some sense.

IF HE WAS TRADED our WR look something like this:
    WARD, WALLACE, EL, SWEED, BATTLE, (ROOKIE? is there another Wallace in this draft?)

To appears to me a big downgrade full of questions

1) age factor of ward, el
    2) who would be the deep (speed) threat in the 3 WR set?
    3) Sweed? is he capable of a catch?
    4) Battle, I think he was more of a Special Team pick than a WR.

Or is this another sign we are gearing up for "STEELER BALL 2005", a hit them hard D and more running with Mendle and Co.

What would his value be if traded... mid-late 1st round?

With 2 picks in first round, and 9 extra picks left to move up we could definitely strengthen all our weak areas...DB, OL, DL, ILB, RB. Would it be worth losing our Super Bowl MVP.

So Steeler nation what do you think...worth it?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Holmes rumor...

I read recently that John Clayton of ESPN said that the price of a No. 1 wide receiver is considered to be a 1st & 3rd-round pick. For comparison Jerry Jones gave the Detroit Lions a No. 1, a No. 3 and a No. 6 for Roy Williams & was given back a No. 7 to balance the trade. You could easily make the argument that Santonio has been way more productive & could easily be a No. 1 WR for someone else - the question is...who would be the takers?

Seattle has two first-rounders & has been flirting with Brandon Marshall. Miami has needed WRs for forever but only has draft position in rounds 1-4 to offer besides extra picks in rounds 6 & 7. The Chiefs are a possibility with an aging Chris Chambers as the No. 1 & multiple picks in rounds 2 & 5. The Bears have need of a WR like Santonio but have nothing to offer in picks this year. How about trading for the Raiders Asomugha straight up?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    I read recently that John Clayton of ESPN said that the price of a No. 1 wide receiver is considered to be a 1st & 3rd-round pick. For comparison Jerry Jones gave the Detroit Lions a No. 1, a No. 3 and a No. 6 for Roy Williams & was given back a No. 7 to balance the trade. You could easily make the argument that Santonio has been way more productive & could easily be a No. 1 WR for someone else - the question is...who would be the takers?

Seattle has two first-rounders & has been flirting with Brandon Marshall. Miami has needed WRs for forever but only has draft position in rounds 1-4 to offer besides extra picks in rounds 6 & 7. The Chiefs are a possibility with an aging Chris Chambers as the No. 1 & multiple picks in rounds 2 & 5. The Bears have need of a WR like Santonio but have nothing to offer in picks this year. How about trading for the Raiders Asomugha straight up?

have you seen Asomugha's contract?

Asomugha is due $16 million in 2010 with an option year in 2011 available for either $16.9 million or the franchise tag number for quarterbacks, whichever amount is greater. If the '11 option is not exercised, the deal prohibits Asomugha's team from franchise tagging him.

no way the Steelers would take on that kind of a contract.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You won't get top value for Holmes. If he really did this, he'll be suspended probably for 4-8 games.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would take a top half 2nd rounder for Holmes!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life

have you seen Asomugha's contract?

Asomugha is due $16 million in 2010 with an option year in 2011 available for either $16.9 million or the franchise tag number for quarterbacks, whichever amount is greater. If the '11 option is not exercised, the deal prohibits Asomugha's team from franchise tagging him.

no way the Steelers would take on that kind of a contract.
    I agree about Nnamdi's obscene contract. They gave him QB money because they knew he wanted to move on, and a Godfather offer he could not refuse was the only way to keep him. Perhaps, though, as a contingency of such a trade, if we could work out a restructured extension that would still pay him top CB money (but not Peyton-Manning-like QB money), it could be doable (Asomugha would be a perfect Steeler. Perfect.)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    You won't get top value for Holmes. If he really did this, he'll be suspended probably for 4-8 games.
    Even if he didn't get suspended, why would any other team want to give up anything for essentially damaged knowing that we are trying to get rid of him. He's a problem, so why would a team other than the raiders even want to take on a problem.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

S'tonio's been in a lot of trouble, if I were a GM and thought the Steelers really wanted to get rid of him, I'd dangle a third or fourth rounder and see if the Steelers bite.

Of course if someone were WILLING to give us a 1st and 3rd rounder.......yeah, in a heart beat.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

He may be a better receiver than Williams, but he will not have the same trade value. I think that he would be closer to the fourth round pick that NE gave up for Moss. I think a third would cut it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How about one of these two trades then...

#1 - Santonio to the Dolphins for Justin Smiley (OG) & a 3rd?
    #2 - Santonio to the Chiefs for Dwayne Bowe (WR) & 4th?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...