Thread: Bires: Steelers situation may get worse

Bires: Steelers situation may get worse

Bires: Steelers situation may get worse

By: Mike Bires
    Beaver County Times
    http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... worse.html

Monday March 29, 2010 11:41 PM

PITTSBURGH — What a surreal site it was at Steelers headquarters as a media horde assembled to see if beleaguered star Ben Roethlisberger would show up for a voluntary off-season conditioning workout.

ESPN and the NFL Network dispatched reporters and camera crews to Pittsburgh. KDKA, WTAE and WPXI had news reporters on hand.

In all, around 30 journalists were there.

And no sooner than it was determined that Roethlisberger hadn’t sneaked in through the back door, news broke that Santonio Holmes, too, has legal issues of his own.

How terribly embarrassing it is for this proud franchise. Its reputation is being soiled by the two stars of their Super Bowl XLIII victory.

The quarterback has been accused of sexual assault for the second time in less than a year. The wide receiver who caught the game-winning touchdown in the Steelers’ sixth Super Bowl victory is being sued by a women from Florida for battery, assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

It’s the fourth time Holmes’ name has appeared in the police blotter since the Steelers drafted him four years ago.

“I’ve never seen so many people (from the media) here at this time of year,” Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said as he entered the media room.
    Advertisement Click here for details!

With Roethlisberger and Holmes not among the Steelers who worked out, the team’s communications department convinced Smith to speak to the media. Someone had to say something about the Steelers’ troubled state of affairs.

So it was Smith, one of the most reputable players on the team, who had to step in front of the media mass and answer questions that had nothing to do with football.

To his credit, Smith did his best to answer all the questions posed to him under difficult circumstances.

Today, maybe another Steeler or two will be asked to address similar questions regarding Roethlisberger and Holmes’ legal problems.

Of course, what matters most is how will Roethlisberger and Holmes be received by their teammates when they do finally show up for an off-season workout or practice.

Will the rest of the Steelers still trust and respect these two stars who obviously have serious character flaws?

These are indeed serious times for the Steelers. Unfortunately, things could get a lot uglier before they get better.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Backup

Re: Bires: Steelers situation may get worse

He's just trying to make waves.

I was right. They figured the media would come in hordes and didn't want that distraction, so Ben's just staying away for now and letting his lawyers work on it.

I wish I could get paid his money to say that Ben and Holmes were not at practice but lots of media slime was, and that Aaron Smith spoke to them because he is a good guy.

Great stuff this US media.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

I thought it was sad after all these years of great football performed by Smith, the media now only knows him. Why were they not interested in him all these seasons for being a great ball player, a great person ?
    All they wanted from him was a way to put words in their column.

i'm going to miss Aaron Smith when he is no longer a Steeler. Guys like Smith happen only once ever decade or two.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    I thought it was sad after all these years of great football performed by Smith, the media now only knows him. Why were they not interested in him all these seasons for being a great ball player, a great person ?

i'm going to miss Aaron Smith when he is no longer a Steeler. Guys like Smith happen only once ever decade or two.
    Yep.

Also, the Steelers never get this much attention in the offseason. People and the media love conflict, or perceived conflict.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk

Yep.

Also, the Steelers never get this much attention in the offseason. People and the media love conflict, or perceived conflict.
    We do better with conflict and doubt before a season than we do with praise and SB predictions...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk

Yep.

We do better with conflict and doubt before a season than we do with praise and SB predictions...
    without a doubt that is true!! when the steelers are the favorite they choke when there is adversity they thrive. both 2005 and 2008 the steelers were dealt a crap hand and still came up winners.

it may get worse?? i didnt get anything that supports that in this article. i guess all it takes these days is to be accused of something. weather guilty or not guilty doesnt really matter. all this does is give anyone who hates the steelers to get free shots in.

Aaron Smith.

The most underrated player of this Steelers generation.

Somethings are so obvious. Would have been nice to have Ray Seals, Aaron Smith, Kemo , Hampton all on the same line in their prime. I know that is four players in a 3/4 defense but, it would have been sweet to see them crush the life out of the QB's and the running game.