Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I've never experienced so much uncertainty going into a draft.

We could go in so many directions and I'd be happy with a lot of them.

We're probably going to draft Golden Tate because that's the last guy I would consider. Coming from the guy who's first thought was Gresham and Spiller might be the best value picks at 18.
    If Gresham and Spiller are there at #18 they would be great value. But you are correct. There will likely be a lot of good players we can take from a group of: Brandon Graham. Spiller, Weatherspoon, Odrick, Thomas, Wilson, Iupati, Gresham and Mays

Really can't find fault with a pick from any of those players. Each one has Pros and Cons.
    I like Odrick and Graham more and more and think they can contribute right away as situational pass rushers.

I also think we might be able to trade down and still grab one of these 2 guys. We might even be able to trade down in the first and up in the second and grab them both.

I also see the potential to trade down in 1 and up in the second and grab Iupati and Pouncey. While I'm not high on taking a guard and center 1 and 2, these 2 could contribute from day 1 which is something the Steelers must be thinking about.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Nice job. Well organized and thought out.

I only have one objection...

Devin McCourty in round one? If we took him at 18, I'd be very disappointed.

McCourty is a great special teams player, but many scouts don't project him to be a good starting corner. He has a lot of holes in his game, and I've never been real impressed when I've seen him play. He is a 2nd round talent at best imho. I see him as a core special teams guy and future nickel back/spot starter. Yes, he ran fast at the combine. But, that hasn't convinced me of anything.
    "future nickel back/spot starter" We have at least three of those already on the roster in Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and William Gay. We don't need another one. We need a legit starter to battle for the starting role against the players listed.

I just have a feeling Burnett will take a major step forward this season and challenge for the starting role opposite Ike.
    I agree with Ovie - Burnett was a great DB in school, he just needs some reps to get his confidence up.
    Yes, I agree too. I don't want McCourty. The reason I mentioned was that I thought he was overrated here.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    And a better pass rush will help all of our DBs.
    And better coverage from our secondary will help our pass rush! How many times do you see us miss a sack by a second or less?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It will all depend on what happens ahead of the Steelers and who might fall. Obviously. Brandon Graham is starting to get some mention with the 18th pick. Local media. Dulac does know his stuff. He's pretty accurate. I think, if a Haden or Thomas falls to them though, they'd be crazy to pass either of them up.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    It will all depend on what happens ahead of the Steelers and who might fall. Obviously. Brandon Graham is starting to get some mention with the 18th pick. Local media. Dulac does know his stuff. He's pretty accurate. I think, if a Haden or Thomas falls to them though, they'd be crazy to pass either of them up.

I'd take Graham over Thomas or Haden. There is more DB depth in this class than their is for potentially elite pass rushers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe. - Haden though is being talked about on some other boards, media as a possible Derrelle Revis clone. You really never know until you draft one of them and find out in camp what you have. I do agree though that the boy from Michigan is going to be a good one. He proved that in the senior bowl game.

I'd take a shot with either of those DB's just because we need playmakers in the secondary. Another name being mentioned is the CB from Boise St. He must be impressing some folks and the Steelers were out at his workout from what I hear.

IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Maybe. - Haden though is being talked about on some other boards, media as a possible Derrelle Revis clone. You really never know until you draft one of them and find out in camp what you have. I do agree though that the boy from Michigan is going to be a good one. He proved that in the senior bowl game.

I'd take a shot with either of those DB's just because we need playmakers in the secondary. Another name being mentioned is the CB from Boise St. He must be impressing some folks and the Steelers were out at his workout from what I hear.

Rookie DBs are rarely difference makers. Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis were drafted in Round 1 last year. While they were OK they weren't difference makers for their teams. Jenkins didn't start until like Week 11 and only because of injury to Jabari Greer. Davis started early but while he had 4 INTs did he really make a difference?

Yet some believe if the Steelers draft a DB in Round 1 he is going to turn the world on its head with no NFL experience and solidify the defense. Very unlikey!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

By that same token, we shouldn't expect any significant impact from any rookie. We have to think past this year, obviously. Chances are an O-lineman would have the best shot at making the most contribution in year one, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exactly. It will be difficult for any rookie coming in to start on this team- no matter the position. Like that every year. Still, we need more play makers on defense. The more I think about it Graham or Thomas would be great at 18.

IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am officially pimping the draft Graham team now. He could definitely contribute as a rookie, probably from day one. On obvious paasing downs, put him in and tell him to kill the QB!! Draft Graham and trade up to get Pouncey if he falls into the second round.