Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Team Needs: Offensive Line, Cornerback, Safety, Nose Tackle, Outside Linebacker. To look under the microscope go here [url="http://www.draftseason.com/2010-nfl-draft-team-needs/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-team-needs/"]http://www.draftseason.com/2010-nfl-dra ... eam-needs/[/url]

Offseason Acquistions: WR Arnaz Battle, WR Antwaan Randle El, S Ryan Clark (resigned) S Will Allen, LB Larry Foote, LB Bryan Scott, OT Jonathan Scott

Offseason Losses: None

Potential Draft Targets:
    Round 1: G Mike Iupati, C/G, Maurkice Pouncey, CB Kyle Wilson, CB Devin McCourty, S Earl Thomas, OT Anthony Davis, OLB Sergio Kindle
    Round 2: CB Patrick Robinson, CB Kareem Jackson, CB Perrish Cox, NT Cam Thomas, G Vladimir Ducasse, OLB Ricky Sapp, OLB Navorro Bowman, OLB Thaddeus Gibson
    Round 3: G John Jerry, G Zane Beadles, NT Torell Troup, S Morgan Burnett, S TJ Ward, S Major Wright

Plan of Attack: With the 18th selection in the draft the Steelers are expected to upgrade the interior of their offensive line. The two guys they’ll be looking at will be Idaho’s Mike Iupati or Florida’s Maurkice Pouncey. Iupati is a classic Steeler lineman. He is a tough, nasty run blocker who will restore some physicality to the Steelers ground game. He would be their no. 1 choice, but if they had to settle for Pouncey they wouldn’t be too upset. P0uncey is technically sound and very athletic. He could help out immidiately at center or guard.

In round 2 the Steelers should be looking for help in their secondary with cornerback being the focus. They would love for either FSU’s Patrick Robinson or Alabama’s Kareem Jackson to fall to them but that may not happen. A guy they could go with would be Oklahoma St.’s Perrish Cox. Cox has a few character concerns but he is nearly 6 feet tall and has blazing speed, which he could use to improve the Steelers return game.

In round 3 the Steelers may go defensive secondary again, this time looking at safeties. When Polamalu went out last year this defense lost its swagger. They need to find someone who can step in and be an adequate backup. A couple of real physical guys in Oregon’s TJ Ward or Georgia Tech’s Morgan Burnett could be available and both would look good in black and gold. One position to keep an eye on in round 3 is quarterback. With Ben Roethlisberger’s legal woes and inability to stay out of trouble, the team may be looking for an heir. If they are high on a signal caller like Tony Pike or Dan LeFevour that is a route they could very well go in.

2010 NFL Draft Needs of the Pittsburgh Steelers
    Current Depth Chart of the Pittsburgh Steelers

Offensive Line
    The Steelers will be looking to improve the interior of their offensive line early in this year’s draft. They want to be more physical running the ball and they want to keep Ben Roethlisberger upright. Idaho’s Mike Iupati would be a great fit in round 1, and they will likely add another offensive lineman sometime in the mid to later rounds as well.

Defensive Secondary
    The Steelers need to find some cornerbacks with size. They were beaten through the air way to often in 2009 and will draft a big corner fairly early in this year’s draft. They will also look to add a safety at some point. When Troy Polamalu went down with injury this defense became a shell of itself. They would like to add a big enforcer type of safety and may look at doing so in rounds 3 or 4.

Quarterback
    The Steelers are obvously upset with Ben Roethlisberger and how he keeps finding ways to get himself into trouble. They seem to like Dennis Dixon but may look for a more traditional type of pocket passer to groom for the future. If they do draft a quarterback and how soon will really show how they feel about Big Ben and whether or not they want him to continue to be the face of their franchise.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

i would be happy with either Iupati or Pouncey in the first, the best available CB in the second and either an OLB or DL in the third.

and let's keep Ben as the face of our franchise. i'm sure he's learned his lesson this time and will work hard to not only be a better player than ever but a better person as well.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Team Needs: Offensive Line, Cornerback, Safety, Nose Tackle, Outside Linebacker. To look under the microscope go here [url="http://www.draftseason.com/2010-nfl-draft-team-needs/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft-team-needs/"]http://www.draftseason.com/2010-nfl-dra ... eam-needs/[/url]

Offseason Acquistions: WR Arnaz Battle, WR Antwaan Randle El, S Ryan Clark (resigned) S Will Allen, LB Larry Foote, LB Bryan Scott, OT Jonathan Scott

Offseason Losses: None

Potential Draft Targets:
    Round 1: G Mike Iupati, C/G, Maurkice Pouncey, CB Kyle Wilson, CB Devin McCourty, S Earl Thomas, OT Anthony Davis, OLB Sergio Kindle
    Round 2: CB Patrick Robinson, CB Kareem Jackson, CB Perrish Cox, NT Cam Thomas, G Vladimir Ducasse, OLB Ricky Sapp, OLB Navorro Bowman, OLB Thaddeus Gibson
    Round 3: G John Jerry, G Zane Beadles, NT Torell Troup, S Morgan Burnett, S TJ Ward, S Major Wright

Plan of Attack: With the 18th selection in the draft the Steelers are expected to upgrade the interior of their offensive line. The two guys they’ll be looking at will be Idaho’s Mike Iupati or Florida’s Maurkice Pouncey. Iupati is a classic Steeler lineman. He is a tough, nasty run blocker who will restore some physicality to the Steelers ground game. He would be their no. 1 choice, but if they had to settle for Pouncey they wouldn’t be too upset. P0uncey is technically sound and very athletic. He could help out immidiately at center or guard.

In round 2 the Steelers should be looking for help in their secondary with cornerback being the focus. They would love for either FSU’s Patrick Robinson or Alabama’s Kareem Jackson to fall to them but that may not happen. A guy they could go with would be Oklahoma St.’s Perrish Cox. Cox has a few character concerns but he is nearly 6 feet tall and has blazing speed, which he could use to improve the Steelers return game.

In round 3 the Steelers may go defensive secondary again, this time looking at safeties. When Polamalu went out last year this defense lost its swagger. They need to find someone who can step in and be an adequate backup. A couple of real physical guys in Oregon’s TJ Ward or Georgia Tech’s Morgan Burnett could be available and both would look good in black and gold. One position to keep an eye on in round 3 is quarterback. With Ben Roethlisberger’s legal woes and inability to stay out of trouble, the team may be looking for an heir. If they are high on a signal caller like Tony Pike or Dan LeFevour that is a route they could very well go in.

2010 NFL Draft Needs of the Pittsburgh Steelers
    Current Depth Chart of the Pittsburgh Steelers

Offensive Line
    The Steelers will be looking to improve the interior of their offensive line early in this year’s draft. They want to be more physical running the ball and they want to keep Ben Roethlisberger upright. Idaho’s Mike Iupati would be a great fit in round 1, and they will likely add another offensive lineman sometime in the mid to later rounds as well.

Defensive Secondary
    The Steelers need to find some cornerbacks with size. They were beaten through the air way to often in 2009 and will draft a big corner fairly early in this year’s draft. They will also look to add a safety at some point. When Troy Polamalu went down with injury this defense became a shell of itself. They would like to add a big enforcer type of safety and may look at doing so in rounds 3 or 4.

Quarterback
    The Steelers are obvously upset with Ben Roethlisberger and how he keeps finding ways to get himself into trouble. They seem to like Dennis Dixon but may look for a more traditional type of pocket passer to groom for the future. If they do draft a quarterback and how soon will really show how they feel about Big Ben and whether or not they want him to continue to be the face of their franchise.
    You need to add Bradon Graham to your Round 1 grouping. I just have the feeling he is going to be the pick.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I've never experienced so much uncertainty going into a draft.

We could go in so many directions and I'd be happy with a lot of them.

We're probably going to draft Golden Tate because that's the last guy I would consider. Coming from the guy who's first thought was Gresham and Spiller might be the best value picks at 18.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

We're probably going to draft Golden Tate because that's the last guy I would consider. Coming from the guy who's first thought was Gresham and Spiller might be the best value picks at 18.
    If Gresham and Spiller are there at #18 they would be great value. But you are correct. There will likely be a lot of good players we can take from a group of: Brandon Graham. Spiller, Weatherspoon, Odrick, Thomas, Wilson, Iupati, Gresham and Mays

Really can't find fault with a pick from any of those players. Each one has Pros and Cons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy

If Gresham and Spiller are there at #18 they would be great value. But you are correct. There will likely be a lot of good players we can take from a group of: Brandon Graham. Spiller, Weatherspoon, Odrick, Thomas, Wilson, Iupati, Gresham and Mays

Really can't find fault with a pick from any of those players. Each one has Pros and Cons.

NO MORE CONS Sorry I could stop myself

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice job. Well organized and thought out.

I only have one objection...

Devin McCourty in round one? If we took him at 18, I'd be very disappointed.

McCourty is a great special teams player, but many scouts don't project him to be a good starting corner. He has a lot of holes in his game, and I've never been real impressed when I've seen him play. He is a 2nd round talent at best imho. I see him as a core special teams guy and future nickel back/spot starter. Yes, he ran fast at the combine. But, that hasn't convinced me of anything.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

McCourty is a great special teams player, but many scouts don't project him to be a good starting corner. He has a lot of holes in his game, and I've never been real impressed when I've seen him play. He is a 2nd round talent at best imho. I see him as a core special teams guy and future nickel back/spot starter. Yes, he ran fast at the combine. But, that hasn't convinced me of anything.
    "future nickel back/spot starter" We have at least three of those already on the roster in Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and William Gay. We don't need another one. We need a legit starter to battle for the starting role against the players listed.

I just have a feeling Burnett will take a major step forward this season and challenge for the starting role opposite Ike.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

"future nickel back/spot starter" We have at least three of those already on the roster in Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and William Gay. We don't need another one. We need a legit starter to battle for the starting role against the players listed.

I just have a feeling Burnett will take a major step forward this season and challenge for the starting role opposite Ike.
    I agree with Ovie - Burnett was a great DB in school, he just needs some reps to get his confidence up.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

I really like what I've seen from Burnett in limited work and believe he'll have a legit shot at being a starter.

I still have some hope for Lewis who has some good size and athleticism.

And I kinda like Mundy too.

I was sitting in the endzone the Steelers were defending in their 4th quarter collapse against the Raiders and the big problem with the young guys was their lack of mental preparation. They were just flat out confused and were leaving guys uncovered. Ryan Clark was going nuts that quarter trying to get guys lined up. It was the biggest fiasco I've ever seen.

But now that some of these guys have some experience under their belts, I expect the mental part of the game to come a little easier. And when guys like Burnett and Mundy can stop thinking and just play, I think they're gonna be a whole lot better.

Ike's ability to play a ball in the air is still a lost cause. We really need to upgrade his position as well. He's a decent athlete and hard worker and one of my favorites, but we need a better #1 CB in addition to upgrading Gay.

And a better pass rush will help all of our DBs.