Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

Re: Steelers- Plan of attack for 2010 Draft..

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I am officially pimping the draft Graham team now. He could definitely contribute as a rookie, probably from day one. On obvious paasing downs, put him in and tell him to kill the QB!! Draft Graham and trade up to get Pouncey if he falls into the second round.
    But who does Graham replace? Harrison? Woodley? Timmons? We still need LBers to cover ... they all can't rush the passer. To me Graham makes little to no contribution as a rookie unless Harrison or Woodley get hurt.

With that said, I don't think you draft based on how a guy will contribute as a rookie. You have to look at his overall value to the team. Because of this I think there are 4 guys in the running for our 1st rounder

Graham
    Iupati
    Odrick
    Thomas

Of course the only thing I know about these guys is what I've read on this site but based on that I think they will best fit the Steeler mold.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Pro Bowler

Graham doesn't replace anyone. He spells Harrison and Woodley. He learns. He offers the flexibility of moving Harrison inside next year, which I think is a very viable option. Dulac said on NFLN that the Steelers were very interested in Graham, but they wanted to run him in some drills where he did not have his hand down.

p.s. Add Pouncey to your list, but I hope not at #18.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Just to counter-balance the man-love we are showing Graham on here, the Steelers attended the Ohio St Pro Day, en masse, with defensive coaches- with Butler & LeBeau putting Thaddeus Gibson through a very rigorous workout.

Gibson's workout numbers were off the charts good.

And he fits the big school, good conference requisites of the Steeler FO.

With Woodley & Harrison entrenched at OLB for the next couple of years, a project like Gibson in the 3rd while adding other positions of need earlier might make sense..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Just to counter-balance the man-love we are showing Graham on here, the Steelers attended the Ohio St Pro Day, en masse, with defensive coaches- with Butler & LeBeau putting Thaddeus Gibson through a very rigorous workout.

Gibson's workout numbers were off the charts good.

And he fits the big school, good conference requisites of the Steeler FO.

With Woodley & Harrison entrenched at OLB for the next couple of years, a project like Gibson in the 3rd while adding other positions of need earlier might make sense..

I saw Thaddeus Gibson play a couple of times last season and was underwhelmed. He only had 4 sacks last season, if he can't get them against collegiate competition how many sacks would he get in the NFL?

if you don't want to draft a 3-4 OLB pass rusher like Brandon Graham (9.5 sacks) in the first because of our bigger needs at CB and OL, then i would rather look to trade up in Round 2 for Jerry Hughes (11.5 sacks) or even look to draft Eric Norwood (16 sacks last two seasons) in Round 4.

Legend

Certainly his stats say that he didn't perform at the same level as say, Gibson, but if the Steelers are showing this much interest, there must be something there.

Maybe as Harrison's successor the Steelers require a more athletic player to cover passes, rather than just a pure pass rusher like Woodley?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Legend

Plus, under Tomlin, the Steelers defensive players have been moving away from the bigger, more powerful guys, to the sharper, faster guys..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Plus, under Tomlin, the Steelers defensive players have been moving away from the bigger, more powerful guys, to the sharper, faster guys..

you make a good point, Timmons and Ziggy are definitely examples of that philosophy.

this is why i was convinced for awhile that the Steelers were targeting Sean Weatherspoon as he fits the Tomlin mold perfectly. the signing of Larry Foote changed my mind, however and i now think we will address our defensive secondary or offensive line in Round 1.