Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Path To The Draft

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,489

    Re: Path To The Draft

    [quote=Steel Life]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Discipline of Steel":1n1briye
    Why would we draft a center to play guard in a position where we spent a fairly high pick last year? Id prefer to draft a backup center to eventually take over the position. 2nd tier center would be a smooth move after we address the CB situation.
    It's not uncommon for teams to do that with rookie OC's - including us. It's what we did with both Dawson & Hartings & they turned out okay. This is why I've pimped Petrus (OG, AR) as a possible pick to convert to center - he's got the strength to handle the POA & as a former FB, he's got great feet.[/quote:1n1briye]

    Chadman thinks you might be making stuff up to back-up your argument...Hartings was drafted by the Lions.

    He was a Center his whole Steeler career.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  2. #12

    Re: Path To The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Dulac mentioned a center and an OLB, eh? I think (if they don't trade up in the first for the likes of Berry or Haden) they should pick the best player available at #18 (say, Earl Thomas), and then they could package their 2nd and 3rd round picks together in an effort to move up to get a center like Pouncey (they tried to trade up in round 2 for versatile interior lineman Max Unger last year and could try to do the same for Pouncey this year) or even to move up to get a legit backup OLB instead(because Frazier and Bailey don't cut it...if Harrison or Woodley went down, we'd have no choice but to move Timmons outside). Since Graham will likely come off the board in the 20's, we could possibly trade up for another excellent pass rushing OLB like TCU's Jerry Hughes instead.
    This.

    All of it.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

  3. #13

    Re: Path To The Draft

    I saw an interview with DT Gerald Mccoy from Oklahoma during the combine. When asked who was the toughest offensive lineman he had ever gone up against in college he said Pouncey.

    That means a lot more than what Mel Kiper or all the other "experts" say.

  4. #14
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: Path To The Draft

    [quote=Discipline of Steel][quote=hawaiiansteel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel":1u6ih4et][color=#00FF00]Why would we draft a center to play guard in a position where we spent a fairly high pick last year? [/color] Id prefer to draft a backup center to eventually take over the position. 2nd tier center would be a smooth move after we address the CB situation.[/quote]


    maybe because Urbik has been a disappointment so far?



    TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2009

    Keeping up with the Rooks


    [color=#00FF00]Kraig Urbik

    Of any player the Steelers drafted in the 2009 draft, Kraig Urbik was expected to have the greatest chance of becoming a starter. Darnell Stapleton struggled in spots during 2008 season and was expected to be pushed by the rookie guard from Wisconsin. As predicted, Stapleton will likely lose the starting job, but it will be to Trai Essex and not Kraig Urbik. Urbik has been the most disappointing of all the rookies. He has lacked power against the defensive lineman and generally looks lost. Early on in camp, he became Tomlin's "whipping boy" after making repeated mistakes. In the first preseason game, he failed generate much push off the line against Arizona's third team. His play against Washington wasn't much better.

    Quotables:
    "Ramon Foster is a better player than Kraig urbik. Urbik, frankly, is too soft. And I'm stunned" - Jim Wexell

    "The second practice when we started doing one-on-ones that was a huge, rude awakening," said Urbik, one of three third-round picks the Steelers made in the NFL draft at the end of April. "You have to have perfect technique every time. I did bad on it, so it's really an eye-opener that you really have to hone your technique."

    Likelihood of making team: 70%

    The Steelers will give Urbik a chance to improve. It would be awfully rare for the front office to cut its second pick in the draft without giving him at least a year to develop.
    [/color]

    [url="http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/keeping-up-with-rooks.html
    http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/k ... rooks.html[/url]
    Not to discount the article but it came out ONE MONTH into Urbik's pro career. Hawaiiansteel, are you labelling Kraig Urbik a total bust? I do have to admit, 'I did bad on it...' doesnt sound too smart.[/quote:1u6ih4et]


    i would not label Urbik a total bust at this point, but he has been a disappointment. this will be a make or break year for Urbik, if the Steelers do indeed draft an OG early he could very well be in danger of getting cut unless he shows some dramatic improvement in camp.

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,462

    Re: Path To The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

    He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.


    Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

    whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

    if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

    Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    Graham is a guy I love. Want to improve the secondary play then attack the QB consistently. That will make all the DBs look effective. Our pass rush last year was not consistent and without the new dimension of Timmons blitzing from the inside it would have been worse. Ignore the overall numbers and take into account the following:

    Harrison: Games 1-8: 8 sacks/Games 9-16: 2 sacks
    Woodley: Games 1-8: 2 sacks/Games 9-16: 11.5 sacks

    Looking at these stats you have to wonder if Harrison was wearing down in the second half of the season or if he was just injured but it is a reason to be concerned.
    Getting a top pass rusher is never a bad thing and getting the best young one in this draft would be great.

    I still would like to see if Graham could be converted to the inside to take Timmons position and let Timmons move to Farrior's position. Graham definitely has the tools to be a run stuffer plus he adds the dimension of awesome blitzer.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: Path To The Draft

    [quote=Chadman]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Quote Originally Posted by "Discipline of Steel":4pews4bw
    Why would we draft a center to play guard in a position where we spent a fairly high pick last year? Id prefer to draft a backup center to eventually take over the position. 2nd tier center would be a smooth move after we address the CB situation.
    It's not uncommon for teams to do that with rookie OC's - including us. It's what we did with both Dawson & Hartings & they turned out okay. This is why I've pimped Petrus (OG, AR) as a possible pick to convert to center - he's got the strength to handle the POA & as a former FB, he's got great feet.
    Chadman thinks you might be making stuff up to back-up your argument...Hartings was drafted by the Lions.

    He was a Center his whole Steeler career.[/quote:4pews4bw]
    You're right, my bad, I assumed everyone knew he was a Lion originally. But he had never played OC before coming to the Steelers & I wanted to show that OG to OC conversions weren't all that uncommon. As for Dawson, I'm dead-on about that.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573

    Re: Path To The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

    He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.


    Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

    whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

    if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

    Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    So how does adding Graham help the Steelers pass coverage in 2010? How does he do more than the OLB currently in place....James Harrison?

    Makes no sense what so ever.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,462

    Re: Path To The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

    He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.


    Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

    whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

    if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

    Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    So how does adding Graham help the Steelers pass coverage in 2010? How does he do more than the OLB currently in place....James Harrison?

    Makes no sense what so ever.
    Less time for the opposing QB to throw is the key of LeBeau's defensive scheme. Why do you think he plays his CB 10 yards off of the because he is wooried about coverage? His scheme is predicated on getting to the QB before he can throw to his primary recivers and if he does keep those receoivers in front of the secondary and make the sure tackle and allow yards after the catch. LeBeau wants pressure on the QB fast so that he is forced to take the short pass pattern or make an errant throw.

    Those obsessed with coverage ignore the fact that the NFL has initiated rules that give the WR all the advanatages.

    To me makes no sense to believe the myth or a "shutdown" DB or that a rookie is going to come in and cover experience NFL receivers to the degree that they aren't going to get their catches. Who was the last rookie DB to come into this league who really made a difference?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Path To The Draft

    Just because a rookie CB will not make much of a contribution in his first year does not mean we shouldn't draft one. We need to think about replacing both of our CB positions. I highly doubt that the Steelers will draft the player that has the best chance at playing right off the bat. They will draft with the future in mind. Any contribution as a rookie would be a bonus.

  10. #20
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,380

    Re: Path To The Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

    He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.


    Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

    whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

    if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

    Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    So how does adding Graham help the Steelers pass coverage in 2010? How does he do more than the OLB currently in place....James Harrison?

    Makes no sense what so ever.
    Less time for the opposing QB to throw is the key of LeBeau's defensive scheme. Why do you think he plays his CB 10 yards off of the because he is wooried about coverage? His scheme is predicated on getting to the QB before he can throw to his primary recivers and if he does keep those receoivers in front of the secondary and make the sure tackle and allow yards after the catch. LeBeau wants pressure on the QB fast so that he is forced to take the short pass pattern or make an errant throw.

    Those obsessed with coverage ignore the fact that the NFL has initiated rules that give the WR all the advanatages.

    To me makes no sense to believe the myth or a "shutdown" DB or that a rookie is going to come in and cover experience NFL receivers to the degree that they aren't going to get their catches. Who was the last rookie DB to come into this league who really made a difference?
    Last year, Jairus Byrd had an excellent rookie season in Buffalo. Before that, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had a solid rookie campaign in Arizona. I doubt that I need to tell you about Darrelle Revis the year before that.

    Although I agree that getting another pass-rushing OLB is important (I think having Frazier and Bailey behind Harrison and Woodley is asking for trouble), I think there is better value taking a top-rated DB in round 1, then trading up in round 2 to get an excellent pass rushing OLB prospect like Jerry Hughes instead of spending our top pick on a backup OLB like Brandon Graham, and settling for a second-tier DB in round 2 or 3.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •