Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Path To The Draft

Re: Path To The Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.

Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    So how does adding Graham help the Steelers pass coverage in 2010? How does he do more than the OLB currently in place....James Harrison?

Makes no sense what so ever.
    Less time for the opposing QB to throw is the key of LeBeau's defensive scheme. Why do you think he plays his CB 10 yards off of the because he is wooried about coverage? His scheme is predicated on getting to the QB before he can throw to his primary recivers and if he does keep those receoivers in front of the secondary and make the sure tackle and allow yards after the catch. LeBeau wants pressure on the QB fast so that he is forced to take the short pass pattern or make an errant throw.

Those obsessed with coverage ignore the fact that the NFL has initiated rules that give the WR all the advanatages.

To me makes no sense to believe the myth or a "shutdown" DB or that a rookie is going to come in and cover experience NFL receivers to the degree that they aren't going to get their catches. Who was the last rookie DB to come into this league who really made a difference?
    What are you talking about about and how does it pertain to my quote?? I'll ask you this time...how does a rookie OLB (Graham), provide more that what James Harrison is bringing in regards to a pass rush??

Again...drafting Graham makes no sense. He can not and will not bring any help at all to pass coverage for the Steelers in 2010. Theres already a pro bowler there occupying that spot who aint goin no where.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.

Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    So how does adding Graham help the Steelers pass coverage in 2010? How does he do more than the OLB currently in place....James Harrison?

Less time for the opposing QB to throw is the key of LeBeau's defensive scheme. Why do you think he plays his CB 10 yards off of the because he is wooried about coverage? His scheme is predicated on getting to the QB before he can throw to his primary recivers and if he does keep those receoivers in front of the secondary and make the sure tackle and allow yards after the catch. LeBeau wants pressure on the QB fast so that he is forced to take the short pass pattern or make an errant throw.

Those obsessed with coverage ignore the fact that the NFL has initiated rules that give the WR all the advanatages.

To me makes no sense to believe the myth or a "shutdown" DB or that a rookie is going to come in and cover experience NFL receivers to the degree that they aren't going to get their catches. Who was the last rookie DB to come into this league who really made a difference?
    Last year, Jairus Byrd had an excellent rookie season in Buffalo. Before that, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had a solid rookie campaign in Arizona. I doubt that I need to tell you about Darrelle Revis the year before that.

Although I agree that getting another pass-rushing OLB is important (I think having Frazier and Bailey behind Harrison and Woodley is asking for trouble), I think there is better value taking a top-rated DB in round 1, then trading up in round 2 to get an excellent pass rushing OLB prospect like Jerry Hughes instead of spending our top pick on a backup OLB like Brandon Graham, and settling for a second-tier DB in round 2 or 3.
    I would disagre and get Graham in Round 1 and Kareem jackson in Round 2. This is a deep draft for DBs.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler

Graham makes sense for the future. Maybe drafting Graham opens up the possibility that Harrison could be moved to ILB, assuming that Farrior will retire or be released after this year. Yeah, I know that Harrison is a Pro Bowl OLB, but I think he could play very well inside, especially if Graham turns out to be Woodley V2.

James Harrison turns 32 in May and can't play forever, a replacement needs to be drafted and groomed soon. Graham could also serve as an insurance policy in the event of a Harrison or Woodley injury, Frazier and Bailey are not adequate replacements.

in the meantime, Graham can be used as a situational pass rusher in obvious passing downs and rotated in with Harrison and Woodley to keep everyone fresh. plus, there is no reason why they can't be on the field at the same time, Graham and Woodley both know how to put their hands on the ground if LeBeau wanted to add a new wrinkle.

too many times last season the other team had way too long to throw, very few DBs can cover NFL receivers for very long. we might even get a few interceptions if the opposing QB were forced to throw earlier than he wanted...unless we dropped them of course.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Who was the last rookie DB to make an impact in his rookie year?

Umm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3euTsIZmU

this guy probably...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Who was the last rookie DB to make an impact in his rookie year?

Umm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3euTsIZmU

this guy probably...

Delmas is and will be a very good safety for years to come. however, like all young DBs you have to be able to live with their mistakes, something LeBeau seems reluctant to do.

also interesting what is said about Larry Foote...

DETROIT LIONS FOOTBALL

Lions rookie safety Louis Delmas improving, but 'still making a lot of mistakes'

By Tom Kowalski

November 13, 2009

Detroit Lions rookie safety Louis Delmas is second on the team in tackles with 45 and has a sack, an interception and a fumble return for a touchdown (65 yards).
    ALLEN PARK -- The more Louis Delmas does, the more he's asked to do. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Delmas, a rookie safety from Western Michigan, continues to show improvement as the Detroit Lions' season progresses, but he's still got a long way to go.

"I think I'm playing alright, but I'm still making a lot of mistakes," Delmas said. "I haven't been playing my role as the quarterback of the defense, guiding the defensive line and the linebackers and the rest of the secondary to the right spots."

Delmas has started every game at safety, one of only three Lions defenders to start in all eight games this season -- linebackers Julian Peterson and Larry Foote are the others. Delmas will be in the lineup again Sunday when the Lions visit the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome.

The 1-7 Lions are 17-point underdogs to the 7-1 Vikings.

"He made a couple of major mistakes in the (Seattle) game," Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. "He was supposed to come on a couple of blitzes and he checked out of it, and it was at critical times. It was early in the game and we were handling them pretty good. But he's recognizing it and every week he's learning a little bit more.

"He's a rookie, and that's what happens. Your mind goes haywire."

"It's a big adjustment for me," said Delmas, who is second on the team in tackles with 45 and has a sack, an interception and a fumble return for a touchdown (65 yards). He also has knocked down six passes.

"In this game, you do as much as you can because you can't take it all in at once."

Cunningham was quick to point out that Delmas isn't the only Lions defender to struggle at times during this season.

"(Linebacker) Larry Foote is still going through the Pittsburgh Steelers thing," said Cunningham, referring to Foote's seven years with the Steelers before arriving in Detroit this season. "He has flashbacks, and I see it in him. He made some mistakes in the game, and I felt really bad for him. He gives you so much."

Cunningham said many of a defender's mistakes are mental.

"I told him -- I told them all -- we have to drive that stuff from our heads. We all have flashbacks. You see one play and you call it the way you used to call it. I don't care who you are, it affects you. You're changing the whole language and everything you've been taught for seven years, for every single day of your football life. Now, you've got to cut it off and go out there and play that game. That's hard to do."

Foote returned to practice Friday after missing two days with a sore knee. He is expected to start against the Vikings, but linebacker Ernie Sims (hamstring) remains sidelined and could miss several weeks.