Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WoodleyofTroy's random draft thoughts.

Legend

Re: WoodleyofTroy's random draft thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Given these stats to work with, Chadman believes that the following players ARE MORE LIKELY to be the Steelers targets in Round 1-

RB- CJ SPILLER- Fits the Division catagory by playing in the ACC, is also a position of need. Also, plays a skill position, which gets a higher weighting under Colbert in Round 1.

LB- SEAN WEATHERSPOON- From the same school as #1 pick Ziggy Hood last year. With Farrior aging, fits the position of need, Conference is a good indicator, being the BIG 12.

LB- BRANDON GRAHAM- Same situation as Weatherspoon- could be a replacement for the aging Harrison. BIG 10 sits well.

DE- JARED ODRICK- From the Steelers favoured BIG 10, and with Aaron Smith & Brett Keisel over 30, this is a position of need. Non-Skill player though, might be against him after selecting DE last season.

FS/CB- EARL THOMAS- Another BIG 12 player, fits the position of need clause IF the Steelers decide he can play CB. Signing Ryan Clark goes against him if they see him as a FS.

OG- MIKE IUPATI- From a conference they have not picked a 1st Rounder from, and being a non-skill player, might go against him. Does play a position of need however.
    Great analysis and exactly the things I have looked at. I think your top 3 are right in the "sweet spot." One additional factor that I also would weigh in is the relative depth of a specific position in a draft. If a draft is deep at a specific position, I do not think Colbert goes after that position early. This draft is very deep at Safety and CB so IMO that drops down the possibility of Thomas quite a bit.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Given these stats to work with, Chadman believes that the following players ARE MORE LIKELY to be the Steelers targets in Round 1-

RB- CJ SPILLER- Fits the Division catagory by playing in the ACC, is also a position of need. Also, plays a skill position, which gets a higher weighting under Colbert in Round 1.

LB- SEAN WEATHERSPOON- From the same school as #1 pick Ziggy Hood last year. With Farrior aging, fits the position of need, Conference is a good indicator, being the BIG 12.

LB- BRANDON GRAHAM- Same situation as Weatherspoon- could be a replacement for the aging Harrison. BIG 10 sits well.

DE- JARED ODRICK- From the Steelers favoured BIG 10, and with Aaron Smith & Brett Keisel over 30, this is a position of need. Non-Skill player though, might be against him after selecting DE last season.

FS/CB- EARL THOMAS- Another BIG 12 player, fits the position of need clause IF the Steelers decide he can play CB. Signing Ryan Clark goes against him if they see him as a FS.

OG- MIKE IUPATI- From a conference they have not picked a 1st Rounder from, and being a non-skill player, might go against him. Does play a position of need however.
    Great analysis and exactly the things I have looked at. I think your top 3 are right in the "sweet spot." One additional factor that I also would weigh in is the relative depth of a specific position in a draft. If a draft is deep at a specific position, I do not think Colbert goes after that position early. This draft is very deep at Safety and CB so IMO that drops down the possibility of Thomas quite a bit.
    I agree. As bad as we need another DB play maker, I think we will get one in round 2, where there is still stand out DBs to be selected. However, that can not be said for OL.

It all depends on who drops and who goes before we select. There is a possibility that all 6 of the players listed and including pauncy, k. wilson being there at 18. If so do we stay or drop back and hopefully trade back up in early 2nd.

Who might be available in round 2 for us to trade up or around our selection?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I agree. As bad as we need another DB play maker, I think we will get one in round 2, where there is still stand out DBs to be selected. However, that can not be said for OL.

It all depends on who drops and who goes before we select. There is a possibility that all 6 of the players listed and including pauncy, k. wilson being there at 18. If so do we stay or drop back and hopefully trade back up in early 2nd.

Who might be available in round 2 for us to trade up or around our selection?
    How is "playmaker" defined. Joe Burnett had 16 INTs in college and he dropped one as a Pro and many feel he has no future in our secondary and another rookie will be the savior.

"Playmaker" is a nice sounding word but as I have said before it was pretty easy for haden and Thomas to be "playmakers" when the teams they were on ran up double digit leads early in games and forced the opponents to throw and play catch up. I think it is easier to be a "playmaker" when you and everyone in the stadium knows the next play is a pass play.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Good work as always Chadman.

Side note: I think Brandon Graham would be my #1 if not for Harrison and Woodley. But I just can't get past the fact that he would have less playing time than Ziggy Hood did his rookie season. Which isn't too big of a problem, I don't mind rookies sitting, but OLB is our biggest strength as far as starters go. People keep mentioning Harrison's age, but I see him around for awhile.

I'd still take Graham, just not over the players ranked above him.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

If we were picking in the 30's like we should be, we'd all be hoping for Iupati or Pouncey to fall to us. Which would be very unlikely.

Just something to think about in case we do have to "settle".

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    If we were picking in the 30's like we should be, we'd all be hoping for Iupati or Pouncey to fall to us. Which would be very unlikely.

Just something to think about in case we do have to "settle".
    Oh absolutely...if we were in the 30's, I would be all over the likes of Iupati, Pouncey, Odrick, Wilson, etc., hoping they would fall to us. But since we are in the teens, I'm thinking about other higher ranked players that may fall to us (or at least fall within reasonable range for a trade-up).

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I think every Steeler fan except czar will be jumping up and down if we land Thomas.
    Does he still want Taylor Mays?

I figured he gave up on the Steelers after they passed on Maualuga last year.
    No more than you pumpkin. The Steelers are just as great a part of my heritage and background as the Trojans.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

This is by far one of my favorite draft posts...great work WoodleyofTroy!!!

1) Joe Haden, Cornerback, Florida.
    2) Rolando McClain, Inside Linebacker, Alabama.
    3) Earl Thomas, Defensive back, Texas.
    4) Trent Williams, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma.
    5) C.J. Spiller, Running Back, Clemson.

Trade back:
    1) Mike Iupati, Guard, Idaho.
    2) Brandon Graham, Outside Linebacker, Michigan.
    3) Maurkice Pouncey, Center/Guard, Florida.

WHAT IF: We all agree that we will need to trade up to get Haden/Mcclain even some are saying Thomas won't last till 18. If that is the case, who would you try to trade for if all 3 lasted till the 15 selection, one will far short of us? Make the scenario more difficult all these players are still on the board at 15

Would you make the trade up for the best CB or LB, a versatile DB, a potential LT ?
    Stay put?
    Trade back?

Haden- potential #1 CB, guarantee if loss to IKE, lots of competition in DB
    McClain- future replacement for Farrior or if Timmons switches out to OLB
    Thomas- same for Haden, but can play S
    Williams- start at T, move Colon at G, insurance if Colon doesn't sign

Iupati/ Pouncey trade back scenario, strengthen OL and get best CB or BPA in 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    This is by far one of my favorite draft posts...great work WoodleyofTroy!!!

1) Joe Haden, Cornerback, Florida.
    2) Rolando McClain, Inside Linebacker, Alabama.
    3) Earl Thomas, Defensive back, Texas.
    4) Trent Williams, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma.
    5) C.J. Spiller, Running Back, Clemson.

Trade back:
    1) Mike Iupati, Guard, Idaho.
    2) Brandon Graham, Outside Linebacker, Michigan.
    3) Maurkice Pouncey, Center/Guard, Florida.

WHAT IF: We all agree that we will need to trade up to get Haden/Mcclain even some are saying Thomas won't last till 18. If that is the case, who would you try to trade for if all 3 lasted till the 15 selection, one will far short of us? Make the scenario more difficult all these players are still on the board at 15

Would you make the trade up for the best CB or LB, a versatile DB, a potential LT ?
    Stay put?
    Trade back?

Haden- potential #1 CB, guarantee if loss to IKE, lots of competition in DB
    McClain- future replacement for Farrior or if Timmons switches out to OLB
    Thomas- same for Haden, but can play S
    Williams- start at T, move Colon at G, insurance if Colon doesn't sign

Iupati/ Pouncey trade back scenario, strengthen OL and get best CB or BPA in 2nd round.

Trade up: Individually, probably Joe Haden. But the more I think of Earl Thomas paired with Polamalu, the more excited I get. Not only is he a Pro Bowl talent in his own right, but his playing style would also extend Troy's career. Vice versa. An instant "that's not fair" impression from other teams fans.

I wouldn't mind trading up slightly for Thomas. Yes it would be better if he was there at #18, but I don't think I'm willing to take that chance (see Revis).

Tough question though. You could make a case for all four of them (I think Trent Williams will end up being the best Tackle in the draft).

Does Defense win championships?

Steelers trade Ben Roethlisberger to the Seattle Seahawks for #6 and #14 overall.
    Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to the Arizona Cardinals for #26 overall.

#6 - Eric Berry FS Tennessee
    #14 - Rolando McClain ILB Alabama
    #18 - Brandom Graham OLB Michigan
    #26 - Kyle Wilson CB Boise State

We could put Gary Coleman at Quarterback and still go undefeated. Who would score on us?

Okay I'm done.