Re: QB Dan LeFevour looked at by Steelers team scouts

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour fails to impress at pro day
    By Rob Otto
    March 24, 2010,

Today was Dan LeFevour's big chance.

March 24, TFY Draft Insider: His short and intermediate passes were solid but LeFevour struggled throwing the ball downfield. Receivers were slowing up in their routes to catch the ball and in some instances out-running LeFevour’s deep passes altogether.

Marc

Not like Ben throws the best deep ball either.
    He's very similar to Ben in that he finds ways to get it done. I too, think he'll be the best QB of this draft class, three years down the road.

in that case, hope the Brownies don't pick him. of course, if the Clowns pick him he's pretty much guaranteed to not do that well.

Dan LeFevour now on Browns' draft radar

Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour is on the Browns’ radar screen as team President Mike Holmgren continues his search for a quarterback to select in this year’s NFL Draft.

The Cleveland Browns certainly have stocked recent rosters with Mid-American Conference quarterbacks.

The new boss is filling a folder with findings on yet another.

Team President Mike Holmgren and his personnel staff are in a whirlwind scouting mission to find a quarterback they can pounce on in next month’s draft.

Chances are, their interest in Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford, who will conduct his pro day Thursday, will bear no fruit. The price to trade up from No. 7 overall would be too dear.

That is one reason Dan LeFevour’s pro day — set for today — will be a big deal for the Browns.

Holmgren is in a bit of a bind. He really wants to draft a quarterback who has a chance to be a winning NFL starter, but there’s no guarantee he can get to his top choice. That means he must identify two or three quarterbacks who flip his switch, with the thought that Plan B or C will come through if Plan A falls through.

LeFevour, who led Central Michigan to the 2009 Mid-American Conference championship, is trying to punch his way into no worse than Plan B status.

Some of LeFevour’s numbers hit you right between the eyes.

His 51 starts for Central Michigan, mostly in a spread offense, tied an NCAA record. He passed for 12,905 yards as a collegian and rushed for 2,948 yards. By comparison, Brady Quinn threw for 11,742 at Notre Dame, and while Cribbs rushed for more yards at Kent State, 3,670, LeFevour ran for more college TDs, 47-38.

Last fall, two weeks after Quinn lost a 38-37 shootout to the Lions at Ford Field, LeFevour played there in the MAC championship game, beating Ohio. It was the day LeFevour set a college football record for combined touchdowns passing, rushing and receiving with his 147th and 148th. The mark had been shared by Colt Brennan and Graham Harrell.

Harrell, who ran the spread at Texas Tech, wasn’t fit for the NFL. The Browns summoned him for a quick tryout last spring and didn’t invite him back. Harrell’s obvious flaw, though, was a weak arm. LeFevour’s arm might be strong enough.

At the Senior Bowl, where LeFevour was named MVP in a 31-13 North victory, analyst Mike Mayock wrote: “The North quarterbacks are all spread guys. I think LeFevour has the strongest arm of the three and throws the best football.”

LeFevour went out with a bang at the GMAC Bowl, leading Central Michigan past Troy, 44-41, in double overtime. With the heat on late in regulation, he went 8-for-11 for 90 yards on a drive that ended with 1:17 left and set up the first OT.

Whether the Browns draft LeFevour is Holmgren’s call, but would Head Coach Eric Mangini be OK with a MAC quarterback? Mangini went to the playoffs with a MAC alum, Chad Pennington, as a first-year Jets head coach in 2006. General Manager Tom Heckert’s previous team, Philadelphia, last drafted a MAC player in 1998, three years before Heckert joined the Eagles.

At one point last year, analyst Mel Kiper was so high on LeFevour that he said the Central Michigan slinger could be drafted in the top 15 overall.

Neither Kiper nor anyone else is saying that now, but LeFevour has his supporters. Scout.com pegs LeFevour as the fourth-best quarterback in the draft after Bradford, Jimmy Clausen and Tim Tebow.

LeFevour facts

• Turned 21 on Friday

• 6-foot-3, 230 pounds

• Moved from running back to quarterback early in his high school career at Benet Academy in Lisle, Ill.

• Carried a 3.6 GPA as an interpersonal communications major at Central Michigan

• Recruited to Central Michigan by Brian Kelly, now the head coach at Notre Dame.

• 2006 MAC freshman of the year; 2009 MAC offensive player of the year.

The Dan plan

If Dan LeFevour strikes Browns President Mike Holmgren as an exciting project, there is no better spot for him than Cleveland.

Holmgren likes both of his recently acquired veterans, Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, and doesn’t discount the possibility of winning with either of them. If neither is more than adequate for a year or two, LeFevour will have had two years to learn in an operation run by a quarterback guru, Holmgren.

The Sporting News “War Room report” reflects the consensus on LeFevour: “There is no doubt he has great potential to develop, given patience.”

LeFevour took shotgun snaps in a spread offense at Central Michigan and would have to re-learn the position to fit a pro offense.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Please no...if we have Ben we don't need him, if we don't then we need to throw everything behind Dixon & bring in another vet to help back him up.

Besides, he's not worth the investment...he wasn't impressive in either the Senior Bowl or at the combine - save the draft pick for another area of need.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Please no...if we have Ben we don't need him, if we don't then we need to throw everything behind Dixon & bring in another vet to help back him up.

Besides, he's not worth the investment...he wasn't impressive in either the Senior Bowl or at the combine - save the draft pick for another area of need.
    I thought he was the most impressive QB in the Senior Bowl... Tebow was trash, the OKState guy was OK but he tends to throw too many INT's IMO...

I really like Dixon but he isn't a long term solution... and I really like Dixon.

I don't think a 3rd would be too high for a kid who will be our next franchise QB, especially with the concussions and games Ben misses every year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

I thought he was the most impressive QB in the Senior Bowl... Tebow was trash, the OKState guy was OK but he tends to throw too many INT's IMO...

I really like Dixon but he isn't a long term solution... and I really like Dixon.

I don't think a 3rd would be too high for a kid who will be our next franchise QB, especially with the concussions and games Ben misses every year.
    While he is a great athlete, Dixon does not have the build to handle the pounding of an NFL QB game after game. The kid only weighs 209 lbs.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wasn't impressed at all as he was bailed out by by some great catches & threw a bunch of check-downs. Both at the Senior Bowl & the combine he just didn't seem to have the strength to be able to drive the ball on the deep out & the long ball with WRs pulling up to gather in his passes.

As for Dixon, I think the guy is a steal & wouldn't worry all that much if he was handed the reigns. He's got a great arm, he's mobile & with reps will get more comfortable with the offense. With the exception of Bradford, there's not decent QB in this year's group...although Skelton has some possibilities.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

While he is a great athlete, Dixon does not have the build to handle the pounding of an NFL QB game after game. The kid only weighs 209 lbs.
    Dixon reminds me on Randall Cunningham. Similar build (I don't know about weight). Very mobile with a pretty good arm. He was unstoppable at Nike U and would have been a Heisman finalist if he had not been injured. I think he could have easily beaten the Rats last year if they would have utilized his strengths (his legs). Instead, the genius Arains took the Rats totally by surprise and planted him in the pocket... ...anyway, instead of rambling on, I'd say we are fine with Dixon as our backup. I would be exteremely nervous with him if he was our full time starting QB though.