Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did we make a deal with the Devil?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Did we make a deal with the Devil?

We have 2 new Super Bowls in the bag, but at what price?

One of the best Super Bowl plays in NFL history was Ben to Santonio. Maybe not the best, but a top play.

Now the 2 'could' be sharing a cell in the near future. (not exactly unless things go really hairy).
    I'll trying not to be over-dramatic. With Ben, I was like, OK, he's got some problems to deal with. I think we can agree, he likely didn't rape anyone. But he's tangling himself up in some nasty webs and isn't learning.
    Holmes now is reappearing as a bad boy. We have blown off the pot smoking and being in the wrong place in Miami a few years ago, but now he reappears caught in another web.

Again, every team has bad eggs roaming around, but we are kinda trapped with 2 of them, saddled with the hopes of them leading our team over the next 6-10 years. Now what?

This is also a really cheap shot at the Rooney family.
    Not long ago, it was Ward and Bettis leading our offense. They had nice images of hard nosed players with a smile off the field. Now even their legacies are getting tarnished.

Here's hoping things melt back to normalcy soon. I'm not throwing Ben and Santonio under the bus yet. I'm just worried that they'll need about 3-5 years of good behavior in the NFL (not prison) before people stop thumbing their noses at us.

I never respected the Cowboys when they had 5 Super Bowls to lead the NFL. They were a bunch of dirtbags and most people felt the same way and it came from the top in Jerry Jones. I think it would be horrible if people started feeling the same way about the Steelers. Yes, I have pride in my team for the 6 SBs, but more than anything for the class and integrity of the organization...compared with other NFL teams.

With us getting caught in the steroid issue for the first 4 Super Bowls and now with punks making multiple bad decisions, we could have 6 slightly tarnished footballs in the Great Hall. I'm getting angry about it.
    With the problems/corruption in, for example, the Catholic Church (I'm Catholic), Congress, Boy Scouts, Military, whatever, I guess as I turn 40, I'm realizing that no group is safe from wolves coming to destroy it. Maybe I should be thankful that I had 40 years of semi-blind admiration. Admiration without perspective is a dangerous thing I guess, especially admiration in a prime individual that you think could be a good example. I can't imagine having one of my priests turn out to be a pedophile like many others have. Maybe its a good thing we only live for 80 +/- years. I'm halfway home I guess.

All time rankings:
    1) a priest
    2)a senator
    3)Big Ben
    4)a senator
    5)a priest

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Did we make a deal with the Devil?

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Admiration without perspective is a dangerous thing I guess,
    A very astute observation. And I agree with just about every point you make.

Legend

User Info Menu

The best teams always have the microscope on them and things get magnified. Holmes getting into an argument with a girl at a club is not the end of the world. These guys just don't get it when it comes to the "high road" pun intended.... it's the small details that get these guys in trouble or "media trouble"

AS far as the Steelers reputation is concerned... fans who hate the Steelers already see them as dirtbags, punks and cheap shot artist who only win due to luck and help from the refs.

For the Steeler fans who think the legacy was built on family values and fairy dust I have news for you.. our sh#t stinks just like the other teams. It's funny and sad to hear fans talk about the Steelers like their transgressions are surprising while every other team who has problems is a total joke.

At least we are winning SB's with our knuckleheads...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    We have 2 new Super Bowls in the bag, but at what price?

One of the best Super Bowl plays in NFL history was Ben to Santonio. Maybe not the best, but a top play.

Now the 2 'could' be sharing a cell in the near future. (not exactly unless things go really hairy).
    I'll trying not to be over-dramatic. With Ben, I was like, OK, he's got some problems to deal with. I think we can agree, he likely didn't rape anyone. But he's tangling himself up in some nasty webs and isn't learning.
    Holmes now is reappearing as a bad boy. We have blown off the pot smoking and being in the wrong place in Miami a few years ago, but now he reappears caught in another web.

Again, every team has bad eggs roaming around, but we are kinda trapped with 2 of them, saddled with the hopes of them leading our team over the next 6-10 years. Now what?

This is also a really cheap shot at the Rooney family.
    Not long ago, it was Ward and Bettis leading our offense. They had nice images of hard nosed players with a smile off the field. Now even their legacies are getting tarnished.

Here's hoping things melt back to normalcy soon. I'm not throwing Ben and Santonio under the bus yet. I'm just worried that they'll need about 3-5 years of good behavior in the NFL (not prison) before people stop thumbing their noses at us.

I never respected the Cowboys when they had 5 Super Bowls to lead the NFL. They were a bunch of dirtbags and most people felt the same way and it came from the top in Jerry Jones. I think it would be horrible if people started feeling the same way about the Steelers. Yes, I have pride in my team for the 6 SBs, but more than anything for the class and integrity of the organization...compared with other NFL teams.

With us getting caught in the steroid issue for the first 4 Super Bowls and now with punks making multiple bad decisions, we could have 6 slightly tarnished footballs in the Great Hall. I'm getting angry about it.
    With the problems/corruption in, for example, the Catholic Church (I'm Catholic), Congress, Boy Scouts, Military, whatever, I guess as I turn 40, I'm realizing that no group is safe from wolves coming to destroy it. Maybe I should be thankful that I had 40 years of semi-blind admiration. Admiration without perspective is a dangerous thing I guess, especially admiration in a prime individual that you think could be a good example. I can't imagine having one of my priests turn out to be a pedophile like many others have. Maybe its a good thing we only live for 80 +/- years. I'm halfway home I guess.

All time rankings:
    1) a priest
    2)a senator
    3)Big Ben
    4)a senator
    5)a priest

I'm getting fed up, too.

One of our great family activities has been rooting for the Steelers together. They are all avid fans, and they all have Steelers jerseys that we wear on gameday. Not long after Pig Ben's latest incident, they had a day at school to dress up as your sports hero. Guess who my 12-year-old son wanted to go as (he knew nothing of either of the cases against BB)? So I had to tell him that, no, you don't want Ben to be your hero, and explained why Ben was in trouble. My son was devastated. My 14-year-old daughter has a #10 jersey. Now she won't be able to wear it to school without getting a lot of crap about he-man Santokio.

Enough already. Guilty or not, these dolts keep on putting themselves in positions where they get into trouble. At the salaries they are making, this shouldn't be tolerated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Aggie I see nothing wrong with admiring your priest...

but if you find out he is a perv and make excuses, blame the victim or blame the devil because you like the way he preaches then you have a problem.

I don't mind those who say "wait for the facts" but I have a problem with those who say "regardless of the facts" I love Ben because he wins games...

Ben and Holmes, 2 players who keep "saying" they are maturing and/or have turned a corner, aren't actually "doing" what they preach.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did we make a deal with the Devil?? I dont know about that but...what was it Ben wore on his shirt the night of these allegations against him?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    The best teams always have the microscope on them and things get magnified. Holmes getting into an argument with a girl at a club is not the end of the world. These guys just don't get it when it comes to the "high road" pun intended.... it's the small details that get these guys in trouble or "media trouble"

AS far as the Steelers reputation is concerned... fans who hate the Steelers already see them as dirtbags, punks and cheap shot artist who only win due to luck and help from the refs.

For the Steeler fans who think the legacy was built on family values and fairy dust I have news for you.. our sh#t stinks just like the other teams. It's funny and sad to hear fans talk about the Steelers like their transgressions are surprising while every other team who has problems is a total joke.

At least we are winning SB's with our knuckleheads...

Some good counter points here. I never thought our sh#t smelled good, but there are levels of bad smelling sh#t. Right now it appears we are coming back from Spring Break in Mexico and we better get on a decent diet with the occasional salad to clean out the pipes!
    We will never have a clean program, but we do and should have higher standards than some. You CAN win with good guys. We'll see if BenTonio (and if they never win again, they will be tied together to a degree) are good guys at some level and really are maturing. Or if they are on a downward spiral. I really don't know and am giving them the benefit for now.

Also, not sure if I gave the impression that I would tolerate a perv priest, but I would NOT! To me, this is the most heinous crime on Earth.
    If it happened to one of my 3 boys, then the Priest might be found under Heinz field 50 years later when they tear it up. So yea...I have a mean streak.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Deal with the Devil? Seriously? Not a single one of our players has been charged with jack yet?

BTW- the whole "Pig" Ben thing sounds like something a Ravens fan would say. Just sayin...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It was a title. Title's are meant to attract attention.

The title, "Unfortunate things," does not attract much attention.

Legend

User Info Menu

This just in....Steelers players getting 666 tattoos....