Thread: Player position based on Draft Value

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Player position based on Draft Value

As I was reading some mock drafts, and seeing various players going to the STEELERS, and seeing some good talent falling past them. It got me thinking, what position in this draft is deep and what selection is worth first round, second round, etc. considering the drop off in value from the rounds.

I am not really good at this would appreciate your input. Here are some positions I find us in need.

S- is very deep in this draft...would it be worth while waiting in the 2nd/3rd round? (Nate Allen) but with Clark and Allen (if better than Carter lol) signing i don't think a big need for us now.

CB- very deep too-It seems that after Haden, may be Wilson has separated himself from the rest of the pack but is there much difference?

NT/ DE- with many new 3-4 teams might select here to beat select BPA. Dan Williams?

OT- lots of 1st round talent some player might slip to us.

OG/C- I think big drop off from Mike Iputi to the second ranked OG.... But compared to Pauncey who would be a better G or value? Throw in some OT (Stafford) that can play G how would the caparison be?

RB-....

LB-...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Player position based on Draft Value

Corner seems to be reasonably deep...there should be many day two possibilities available in rounds 2-3. We could use some of our picks to trade up for the best CB in the draft in Joe Haden, though, and Kyle Wilson could be considered in round 1 as well.

Safety also has some strong depth in rounds 2-3. However, if a top notch player like Earl Thomas is available at #18 (or, God forbid if Eric Berry falls within striking distance of a trade-up), I would not hesitate to come away with either guy in round 1.

Along the o-line, we have a ton of guys on our roster that are capable players with marginal talent, but none with truly elite skill. If they are able to get a guy in round 1 that they feel has truly elite skill (we've always had an All-Pro talent on our OL such as Webster, Dawson, Faneca, until the last few years), then go for it. I don't think we necessarily need any more mid-round OL prospects, though, unless someone that we really like falls unexpectedly.

There seems to be quality depth at running back anywhere from rounds 2-5.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you categorize value in terms of "if you lose the starter do you have a quality/viable alternative" then I say in order our biggest need and therefore value at #18 are in order: RB, CB and S.

RB--nothing on this roster past Mendy.

CB--if you lose Gay then you probably can fill with Burnett and/or Lewis. However if you lose Taylor we are totally screwed.

S--Much better depth than last year but you still mhave the issue of losing Troy and the effect of a defense that seems to be totally designed around him. Will Allen provides great insurance backing up either Troy or Clark.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    If you categorize value in terms of "if you lose the starter do you have a quality/viable alternative" then I say in order our biggest need and therefore value at #18 are in order: RB, CB and S.

CB--if you lose Gay then you probably can fill with Burnett and/or Lewis. However if you lose Taylor we are totally screwed.

S--Much better depth than last year but you still mhave the issue of losing Troy and the effect of a defense that seems to be totally designed around him. Will Allen provides great insurance backing up either Troy or Clark.
    Based on that analysis, who would you take in Rd. 1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

Earl Thomas. Why do you ask?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Me too!!!! (or Kyle Wilson)

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    I could live the following: Thomas, Spiller, Wilson, Dwyer (trade down), Mays, Odrick, Iupati, Weatherspoon, McClain, Graham or Dan Williams. My top 5 in order would be:

Spiller
    Graham
    McClain
    Thomas
    Weatherspoon

IMO all would be quality players and would meet near and long term needs.

There really isn't one best so it is ridiculaous to get wrapped around the handle about Having to have one specific player or we are making a mistake.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it rhymes with

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pappy
    I could live the following: Thomas, Spiller, Wilson, Dwyer (trade down), Mays, Odrick, Iupati, Weatherspoon, McClain, Graham or Dan Williams. My top 5 in order would be:

Spiller
    Graham
    McClain
    Thomas
    Weatherspoon

IMO all would be quality players and would meet near and long term needs.

There really isn't one best so it is ridiculaous to get wrapped around the handle about Having to have one specific player or we are making a mistake.
    No Iupati or Pouncey, we're good. We may be wrong, but I'm with you with a slight order adjustment and maybe one substitution