Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio towns still have lots of love for Big Ben

Re: Ohio towns still have lots of love for Big Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    I hear alot of contrasting stories about Ben. I have to think there is a good reason for that. We love to place people in boxes. It makes us comfortable to label. Either someone is a jackasc or a good guy. Alot of times who we present ourselves to be on a certain day is very mood dependent. We can be a good person in a bad mood approached in an abrasive/obtrusive way and act out.

I try to put myself in his shoes (very difficult to do considering I have no idea what it's like to live that life). But, I have to assume it would get old. Everywhere you go, eating, watching a movie, shopping etc to be approached 10, 20, 50 times for autographs especially with some of these people approaching him to make a buck on ebay. Sometimes he is cool with it...good mood and invited the attention. Other times he can come across as a jerk while not wanting to be messed with. I take very little stake in comments about him being difficult when approached for an autograph because I know that's not what he does all the time.
    Sometimes a person may be dealing with something that effects them deeply and is approached at the wrong time.

They're human just like we are. To expect them to behave differently is foolish.

Now if they were diplomats then that, by definition, is an entirely different matter.
    I certainly understand that. I will say though that Ben is a representative of the Steelers 24/7/365. And I understand there are things that effect him on a deep level and sometimes some anti-social behavior is unavoidable. I do not get this on Ben's level but I live in a small town. I am approached at Wal-Mart, the local mexican eatery, Krogers etc with stories/questions about bleeding hemmoroids, rashes, gout etc. And honestly, sometimes I just want to be left alone. But, I realize that even though it might not be an optimal time to discuss such matters I need to at the very least put on a smiley face and be a good representative of my profession. Am I perfect...no. I'm sure I have been less than social in some of these situations but I do try. I try to be interested when I'm not. I try to be pleasant even when I feel like ish. I can't expect anything more from Ben. He won't be perfect.
    I only quoted you because I was expanding on what you had posted. My comments were not directed at you.

But now that I have your attention, I have this thing on my shoulder.........

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I live close to Baltimore and I had the distinct pleasure of watching Cal Ripken play baseball and handle his incredible fame. He couldn't go out without being hounded, after each game signing autographs became a full time job and granting interviews was a daily obligation. He accepted all of this and handled it with aplomb, dignity and class, very few people were turned down for autographs, dinner out for him was a circus and he accepted it, interviews were disliked but necessary and never a bad word was spoken of the man.

He understood his job didn't begin and end on the field and he accepted that situation to gain great wealth. Cal Ripken never turned down an autograph, what he did was have the head of security be the bad guy and inform people that Cal would be signing only 10 more and that he has other obligations to take care of. Informing them that returning tomorrow was always an option that Cal signs after every game.

I miss Cal Ripken and I'm a Pirate fan. Tony Gwynn was another athlete of the same mold.

Pappy
    For every Ripken and Gwynn you mention there are 100 other guys who are not like them. People are different. To expect them all to be like Ripken and Gwynn is incredibly unrealistic.
    All I'm saying is that should be their goal and not Michael Irvin. I don't expect them all to be like Ripken, it will never happen, that doesn't mean you don't set the bar high. They challenge themselves on the field, why not off the field?

Pappy
    I hear you, but I think at this point the Irvin comparison is unfair.

Legend

The reason an athlete needs to be on call 24-7-365 and nice to the press is obvious...

when accusations hit the media can go all in or they can "ignore" your story.

How many of us really know how the Bettis rape accusation ended? Not many because it vanished into thin air...

Look at Plax.. I'm positive if Plax wasn't the biggest azzhole in NYC he wouldn't have had Bloomberg and others speaking about his problem publicly.

It's just easier to be nice then to be an azz to fans and strangers in the long run.

I hear alot of contrasting stories about Ben. I have to think there is a good reason for that. We love to place people in boxes. It makes us comfortable to label. Either someone is a jackasc or a good guy. Alot of times who we present ourselves to be on a certain day is very mood dependent. We can be a good person in a bad mood approached in an abrasive/obtrusive way and act out.

I try to put myself in his shoes (very difficult to do considering I have no idea what it's like to live that life). But, I have to assume it would get old. Everywhere you go, eating, watching a movie, shopping etc to be approached 10, 20, 50 times for autographs especially with some of these people approaching him to make a buck on ebay. Sometimes he is cool with it...good mood and invited the attention. Other times he can come across as a jerk while not wanting to be messed with. I take very little stake in comments about him being difficult when approached for an autograph because I know that's not what he does all the time.
    Sometimes a person may be dealing with something that effects them deeply and is approached at the wrong time.

They're human just like we are. To expect them to behave differently is foolish.

Now if they were diplomats then that, by definition, is an entirely different matter.
    I certainly understand that. I will say though that Ben is a representative of the Steelers 24/7/365. And I understand there are things that effect him on a deep level and sometimes some anti-social behavior is unavoidable. I do not get this on Ben's level but I live in a small town. I am approached at Wal-Mart, the local mexican eatery, Krogers etc with stories/questions about bleeding hemmoroids, rashes, gout etc. And honestly, sometimes I just want to be left alone. But, I realize that even though it might not be an optimal time to discuss such matters I need to at the very least put on a smiley face and be a good representative of my profession. Am I perfect...no. I'm sure I have been less than social in some of these situations but I do try. I try to be interested when I'm not. I try to be pleasant even when I feel like ish. I can't expect anything more from Ben. He won't be perfect.
    I only quoted you because I was expanding on what you had posted. My comments were not directed at you.

But now that I have your attention, I have this thing on my shoulder.........

I live close to Baltimore and I had the distinct pleasure of watching Cal Ripken play baseball and handle his incredible fame. He couldn't go out without being hounded, after each game signing autographs became a full time job and granting interviews was a daily obligation. He accepted all of this and handled it with aplomb, dignity and class, very few people were turned down for autographs, dinner out for him was a circus and he accepted it, interviews were disliked but necessary and never a bad word was spoken of the man.

He understood his job didn't begin and end on the field and he accepted that situation to gain great wealth. Cal Ripken never turned down an autograph, what he did was have the head of security be the bad guy and inform people that Cal would be signing only 10 more and that he has other obligations to take care of. Informing them that returning tomorrow was always an option that Cal signs after every game.

I miss Cal Ripken and I'm a Pirate fan. Tony Gwynn was another athlete of the same mold.

Pappy
    For every Ripken and Gwynn you mention there are 100 other guys who are not like them. People are different. To expect them all to be like Ripken and Gwynn is incredibly unrealistic.
    All I'm saying is that should be their goal and not Michael Irvin. I don't expect them all to be like Ripken, it will never happen, that doesn't mean you don't set the bar high. They challenge themselves on the field, why not off the field?

Pappy
    I hear you, but I think at this point the Irvin comparison is unfair.
    Well, then take your pick of any athlete that fits the discussion. I withdraw my nomination of Michael Irvin for boorish behavior by an athlete and replace it with whomever you believe fits the topic.

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Well, then take your pick of any athlete that fits the discussion. I withdraw my nomination of Michael Irvin for boorish behavior by an athlete and replace it with whomever you believe fits the topic.

Pappy
    Ok. I'll compare them to Bettis then. Someone who was accused of something but has yet to be charged.

Legend

Pappy
    Ok. I'll compare them to Bettis then. Someone who was accused of something but has yet to be charged.
    Umm... Bettis had one accusation. Not fair to lump him in with the repeat offenders of accused but not charged.

Not 2 in one year or 2 and a weed bust(he didn't enhale or have one lit when stopped) there was just an odor in the air of strawberry bubblegum kush.

Does OJ being found innocent of murder mean he is all good in your book? Sure he was found guilty in the civil trial but that was just a money grab...

What about the LAPD beating of Rodney King? caught on tape but found innocent... Just wondering if you are serious about the charge angle or if this is a way of excusing foul/unbecoming behavior of a Steeler.

I don't need charges to be filed to think players need to straighten up.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Pappy
    Umm... Bettis had one accusation. Not fair to lump him in with the repeat offenders of accused but not charged.

Not 2 in one year or 2 and a weed bust(he didn't enhale or have one lit when stopped) there was just an odor in the air of strawberry bubblegum kush.

Does OJ being found innocent of murder mean he is all good in your book? Sure he was found guilty in the civil trial but that was just a money grab...

What about the LAPD beating of Rodney King? caught on tape but found innocent... Just wondering if you are serious about the charge angle or if this is a way of excusing foul/unbecoming behavior of a Steeler.

Then maybe you should buy a team so you can run it your way.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Pappy

Then maybe you should buy a team so you can run it your way.

Why spend millions when I can run the team from here

Rooney agrees with me and told the drama queen distraction to stay home ... at least now he has Tone to throw to because he is next...

eye roll for sarcasm.

Hall of Famer

Pappy

thats a good comparaison

a murder case and a beating caught on tape to what may amount to a 'shocker' during consensual relations

good job

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER

Pappy

thats a good comparaison

a murder case and a beating caught on tape to what may amount to a 'shocker' during consensual relations

good job
    I wasn't comparing crimes :roll

He gave the impression Ben being found innocent or uncharged would vindicate him in the public domain. It's about the impression the public has of the person who is charged... unfortunately there is a nice chunk of the public who now think of Ben as a predator. I'm not saying he is, nor do I know the exact numbers for the fickle LOL. Those who have filed away Ben's "tape" of his first accusation will no doubt lean towards their gut regardless of the verdict.