Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An OL Question that I need thoughts on

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: An OL Question that I need thoughts on

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Go with Mitch Petrus in the 3rd for better value for the interior O-Line spots & he's a possible OC conversion (former Fullback). But I'm with O on this, I've gotten concerned with Pouncey's ability to handle the POA since he's operated mainly out of the spread. I'd prefer to find a young OT to develop like Tony Washington (Abilene Christian) in later rounds.
    I'd rather spend the picks at the top if we are going to pick OL. If we get 3rd round and later talent, it will be more of the same that we already have.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I'd be pissed if we took Pouncey at #18. I've read a lot of reports that say he is a second round prospect at best, but is being overvalued because the C position is weak this year. The reason everyone is talking about the OG position is that we have a bunch of second string guys playing the position. We need an upgrade. If Colon is our best Olineman, then we definitely need to infuse some talent in our line, because Colon is average at his best, IMO. A lot of people point out that we won the SB with the Oline we have. We won XLIII because of a dominant D and a Houdini QB, not because of our line. I don't want to see us go back to Cowher ball, but I do want to see us become more physical and balanced on offense. We need some new horses on our line to do that.
    Pouncey in Round 1 would be a horrible pick. he is not a power run game blocker and he would get eaten alive by the AFC North NTs. He play high and without great leverage. Most of his run blocking has been getting to the second level to pick off LBs to support the runs off tackle and outside that made up 75% of all the running plays that Floridsa ran.

If we took Pouncey at #18 it would be the worst #1 draft pick this decade.
    I dont' know where you guys get this "he's poor at the POA and would get eaten up by NT's". He may struggle if he started next season (just like any other center that starts as a rookie, with few exceptions) but, I think the upgrade would be night and day difference. saying that, I wouldn't take him at #18 either... since I think our needs and value is on the other side of the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper listed Pouncey as his fastest-rising prospect during a Thursday morning segment of SportsCenter.

“This kid has a higher grade, I believe, than (New York Jets’ first-round pick) Nick Mangold did when he came out (of Ohio State in 2006),” Kiper said. “A highly rated center like Maurkice Pouncey, who can play guard, could interest the Steelers at 18. I’ve had him (in a mock draft) with Philadelphia at 24.

“Everybody you talk to says he’s highly regarded now, a lot of praise coming for Pouncey.”

Pouncey, Kiper said, has “been solidly in the first round if you could find a team to take a center.”

Centers are not typically drafted in the first round, but in an extreme rarity, two were selected last season.

Kiper said Pouncey compares favorably to 2009 first-round picks Alex Mack and Eric Wood. Mack, who went to University of California, was taken by the Cleveland Browns with the 21st overall pick. Buffalo used the 28th-overall pick to draft Eric Wood out of Louisville.

Another ESPN draft analyst, Todd McShay, has projected Pouncey to be taken in the first round by the Indianapolis Colts with the 31st pick
    [url]http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100324/ARTICLES/100329643/1136?Title=Pouncey-climbing-on-draft-boards[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=NW Steeler]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":1unmn0mg
    Go with Mitch Petrus in the 3rd for better value for the interior O-Line spots & he's a possible OC conversion (former Fullback). But I'm with O on this, I've gotten concerned with Pouncey's ability to handle the POA since he's operated mainly out of the spread. I'd prefer to find a young OT to develop like Tony Washington (Abilene Christian) in later rounds.
    I'd rather spend the picks at the top if we are going to pick OL. If we get 3rd round and later talent, it will be more of the same that we already have.[/quote:1unmn0mg]

The Steelers have enough mediocrity on the offensive line. Either make a significant upgrade or do nothing, as long as they don't keep adding more mediocre players to the mix.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, and that is why I think Chadman's mock makes a lot of sense.

Backup

User Info Menu

I just wonder if the new o-line coach can fix any of the problems on the line. If so I would be thrilled to be able to address the defensive side (DL and DB's) and maybe RB depth. It would be nice to have some first round talent on the line though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Ken Laird is reporting that the Steelers are high on Pouncey for their first-round pick.

I'm not sold on Pouncey. Though he is one of the top-rated centers, I'm not convinced he's really a first-round talent. I'm not sure there's any center in this class that merits the 18th pick. I'd be OK with Tennant later on.

here is more on what Ken Laird said -

Ken Laird, ESPN1250.com, Steelers Blog

Remember last year when two interior offensive linemen the Steelers were interested in (Alex Mack went to Cleveland at 21 and Eric Wood went to Buffalo at 2 went ahead of their #32 pick in the draft? A year later, the Steelers may very well make amends for missing out on an interior mauler. We've known since the NFL Combine that Idaho guard Mike Iupati is highly thought of by the Black and Gold (Iupati has said the Steelers told him in an interview him he was the #1 lineman on their draft board). Now, I'm hearing the Steelers are very high on University of Florida center Maurkice Pouncey (pronounced MAR-keece). Maurkice came out after his junior season, where he won the Rimington Award as the nation's top collegiate center. Pouncey was a part of a national championship team in 2008 (beating Oklahoma) with the Gators, and has 40 starts under his belt. At 6'4, 304 lbs, Pouncey has the size but also packs remarkable quickness, punch, and leverage into a big body. At his pro day last Wednesday (where Mike Tomlin was present), Pouncey did 26 reps on the bench press at 225 lbs, and jumped 27 inches in the vertical. Watching him at the Combine, he showed staggering agility and movement for a big body. As a part of a largely shotgun based offense with Tim Tebow at quarterback the last two seasons, the Steelers would need to groom Maurkice into a more conventional style but he has reportedly shown good ability to snap direct as well. His identical twin brother Mike played right guard for the Gators and will remain at UF this season. The two look so alike they were often were unable to be distinguished even by teammates (one fellow lineman said in an interview he knew Mike because he had a tattoo of flames on his arm that Maurkice didn't have). If he comes to the Steelers with the 18th overall pick in the draft, he'll team with Florida grad Max Starks on the Steelers offensive line. Maurkice also started 11 of 13 games as a true freshman in college at right guard, and with Steelers center Justin Hartwig signed through 2012, there is a possibility they could look at Pouncey at RG in Pittsburgh as well.

[url="http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html"]http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

We should draft Maurkice this year, and then his identical twin brother Mike next year! That solves C and RG. We should also draft Devin McCourty, then trade for his identical twin brother Jason, who currently plays for the Titans. That solves CB. Then we should bring in Tiki and Ronde Barber as offensive and defensive assistant coaches. Then we should invite Omar Epps to visit Latrobe for camp. The fans would be all confused.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

here is our new center, can play every OL position EXCEPT tight end...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

No better place than here to post these stats...

Steelers OL-

QB Sacks Allowed-
    Max Starks- 8 (7th in NFL for OT)
    Willie Colon- 6 (25th in NFL for OT)
    Chris Kemoeatu- 4 (5th in NFL for OG)
    Ramon Foster- 0 (74th in NFL for OG)
    Trai Essex- 1 (49th in NFL for OG)
    Justin Hartwig- 7 (1st in NFL for OC)

QB Hits Allowed-
    Max Starks- 8 (18th in NFL for OT)
    Willie Colon- 4 (48th in NFL for OT)
    Chris Kemoeatu- 3 (37th in NFL for OG)
    Ramon Foster- 5 (22nd in NFL for OG)
    Trai Essex- 7 (11th in NFL for OG)
    Justin Hartwig- 4 (7th in NFL for OC)

QB Pressures Allowed-
    Max Starks- 15 (48th in NFL for OT)
    Willie Colon- 5 (75th in NFL for OT)
    Chris Kemoeatu- 9 (52nd in NFL for OG)
    Ramon Foster- 10 (43rd in NFL for OG)
    Trai Essex- 27 (1st in NFL for OG)
    Justin Hartwig- 15 (2nd in NFL for OC)

Run Block Ratings using Pro Football Focus formula (not going to pretend to know how they figure this out)-
    Max Starks- 3.8 (20th in NFL for OT)
    Willie Colon- 3.3 (25th in NFL for OT)
    Chris Kemoeatu- 1.1 (35th in NFL for OG)
    Ramon Foster- -1.4 (52nd in NFL for OG)
    Trai Essex- -16.4 (82nd in NFL for OG)
    Justin Hartwig- -11.7 (32nd in NFL for OC)
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR