Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Path To The Draft

Backup

User Info Menu

Path To The Draft

Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Path To The Draft

Unless they lied to Iupati or he is gone by 18 I don't see it happening.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

I like Pouncey, but you can't deny that playing in front of College "all time great" Tim Tebow (especially his playing style and ability to make plays on his own) that the game film on Pouncey may be a little skewed.

It's questionable at the least. At #18, I don't know if I like questions.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Did anyone see the Path to the Draft show today? They had Dulac on talking about the Steelers. Dulac mentioned Graham as a guy the Steelers liked a lot, but his guess for pick #18 was my man Pouncey Wouncey. He said they would play him at Guard initially and then move him to center.

He has been my pick for awhile. A lot of people should get ready to be annoyed because I think Pouncey gets picked by the Steelers in round one.

Brandon Graham from Michigan may very well be the best pass rusher in the draft and is often compared to Lamarr Woodley.

whereas Iupati had a disappointing Senior Bowl performance, Graham was named the MVP recording two sacks and basically was unblockable the whole Senior Bowl week.

if you want to correct pass coverage deficiencies, finding a pass rusher to put pressure on the opposing QB is a good idea. plus, James Harrison turns 32 in May and we need to start grooming his replacement soon.

Brandon Graham makes sense, don't be surprised if the Steelers call out his name come draft day.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why would we draft a center to play guard in a position where we spent a fairly high pick last year? Id prefer to draft a backup center to eventually take over the position. 2nd tier center would be a smooth move after we address the CB situation.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Why would we draft a center to play guard in a position where we spent a fairly high pick last year? Id prefer to draft a backup center to eventually take over the position. 2nd tier center would be a smooth move after we address the CB situation.

maybe because Urbik has been a disappointment so far?

TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2009

Keeping up with the Rooks

Kraig Urbik

Of any player the Steelers drafted in the 2009 draft, Kraig Urbik was expected to have the greatest chance of becoming a starter. Darnell Stapleton struggled in spots during 2008 season and was expected to be pushed by the rookie guard from Wisconsin. As predicted, Stapleton will likely lose the starting job, but it will be to Trai Essex and not Kraig Urbik. Urbik has been the most disappointing of all the rookies. He has lacked power against the defensive lineman and generally looks lost. Early on in camp, he became Tomlin's "whipping boy" after making repeated mistakes. In the first preseason game, he failed generate much push off the line against Arizona's third team. His play against Washington wasn't much better.

Quotables:
    "Ramon Foster is a better player than Kraig urbik. Urbik, frankly, is too soft. And I'm stunned" - Jim Wexell

"The second practice — when we started doing one-on-ones — that was a huge, rude awakening," said Urbik, one of three third-round picks the Steelers made in the NFL draft at the end of April. "You have to have perfect technique every time. I did bad on it, so it's really an eye-opener that you really have to hone your technique."

Likelihood of making team: 70%

The Steelers will give Urbik a chance to improve. It would be awfully rare for the front office to cut its second pick in the draft without giving him at least a year to develop.

[url="http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/keeping-up-with-rooks.html"]http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/k ... rooks.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's not uncommon for teams to do that with rookie OC's - including us. It's what we did with both Dawson & Hartings & they turned out okay. This is why I've pimped Petrus (OG, AR) as a possible pick to convert to center - he's got the strength to handle the POA & as a former FB, he's got great feet.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If they draft the top center in this years class then I want to see him playing center immediately. Hartwig very well may be the worst starting center in the NFL.

I wouldn't mind them drafting Pouncey a bit earlier than he maybe should go just because the center position needs upgraded so badly and there might not be any other center prospects able to step in and play day one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dulac mentioned a center and an OLB, eh? I think (if they don't trade up in the first for the likes of Berry or Haden) they should pick the best player available at #18 (say, Earl Thomas), and then they could package their 2nd and 3rd round picks together in an effort to move up to get a center like Pouncey (they tried to trade up in round 2 for versatile interior lineman Max Unger last year and could try to do the same for Pouncey this year) or even to move up to get a legit backup OLB instead(because Frazier and Bailey don't cut it...if Harrison or Woodley went down, we'd have no choice but to move Timmons outside). Since Graham will likely come off the board in the 20's, we could possibly trade up for another excellent pass rushing OLB like TCU's Jerry Hughes instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

maybe because Urbik has been a disappointment so far?

TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2009

Keeping up with the Rooks

Kraig Urbik

Of any player the Steelers drafted in the 2009 draft, Kraig Urbik was expected to have the greatest chance of becoming a starter. Darnell Stapleton struggled in spots during 2008 season and was expected to be pushed by the rookie guard from Wisconsin. As predicted, Stapleton will likely lose the starting job, but it will be to Trai Essex and not Kraig Urbik. Urbik has been the most disappointing of all the rookies. He has lacked power against the defensive lineman and generally looks lost. Early on in camp, he became Tomlin's "whipping boy" after making repeated mistakes. In the first preseason game, he failed generate much push off the line against Arizona's third team. His play against Washington wasn't much better.

Quotables:
    "Ramon Foster is a better player than Kraig urbik. Urbik, frankly, is too soft. And I'm stunned" - Jim Wexell

"The second practice — when we started doing one-on-ones — that was a huge, rude awakening," said Urbik, one of three third-round picks the Steelers made in the NFL draft at the end of April. "You have to have perfect technique every time. I did bad on it, so it's really an eye-opener that you really have to hone your technique."

Likelihood of making team: 70%

The Steelers will give Urbik a chance to improve. It would be awfully rare for the front office to cut its second pick in the draft without giving him at least a year to develop.

[url="http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/keeping-up-with-rooks.html"]http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/k ... rooks.html[/url]
    Not to discount the article but it came out ONE MONTH into Urbik's pro career. Hawaiiansteel, are you labelling Kraig Urbik a total bust? I do have to admit, 'I did bad on it...' doesnt sound too smart.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.