Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft class

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft class

Draft-time marijuana concerns are much ado about nothing
    Sporting News

NFL teams generally don't care about players smoking pot, Mike Florio says, unless it affects their performance or gets them suspended

Friday, Mar. 26, 2010

Every year at this time, we're reminded that many college football players have smoked marijuana. Given that many college students smoke marijuana at some point or other during their four (or five ... or eight) years of "higher" education, it's not really a surprise.

Usually, the issue hits the NFL radar screen due to reports of positive marijuana samples generated by players tested at the Scouting Combine. Given that the players know they'll be tested, a positive result constitutes evidence of a problem -- or proof of extreme stupidity. But while those players require more scrutiny, the supposed rash of players who tested positive during college or who admitted to smoking marijuana in pre-draft interviews gets far more focus than it deserves.

Teams generally don't care if players smoke pot. Teams care if smoking pot affects player performance, or if it keeps them from playing due to a suspension. "There's a difference between a guy who smokes pot from time to time," said an agent who requested anonymity, "and Charles Rogers or Onterrio Smith."

Rogers, the second overall pick in the 2003 draft, and Smith, a first-round talent who slid to Round 4 due in part to multiple marijuana issues, couldn't put down the weed, even when their livelihoods depended on it. But for every player who smokes his way out of the league, there are hundreds who can stop cold turkey as soon as they enter the league's substance-abuse program and become subject to up to 10 unannounced tests per month. Indeed, most men prefer playing pro football to smoking pot, and most can quit when they absolutely must.

Still, scouts and coaches claim to be worried about the issue. One unnamed head coach recently told Don Banks of SI.com that "[i]t's something that's concerning to all coaches and general managers in this league."

Apparently, these aging muckety-mucks all have forgotten the things they did when they were 20. As the agent who requested anonymity told me, he recalls in their younger days a current "high-level NFL decision-maker" passing him a joint.

Really, how many of the people who occupy positions of influence and responsibility in the NFL can say they haven't smoked pot at least once in their lives? It's a normal – albeit illegal – activity, and concerns should arise only when the player has become addicted to it or has become entangled with law enforcement because of it.

In the grand scheme of things, few players are suspended for using marijuana. Even fewer see their careers end. Thus, the reward outweighs the risk. Last year, many news outlets reported via anonymous sources that Vikings receiver Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine, and he only went on to have a dramatic impact on the Minnesota offense and special teams.

So why is it suddenly a big deal? It could be that some teams hope to scare other teams into passing on players with red flags due to green leaves, which could cause highly-talented players to slide into the clutches of teams that are quietly fueling the anti-pot crusade. Or it could be that many of these scouts and coaches are too old to remember what it's like to be a kid in college, and the things that they and their friends did 20, 30, or 40 years ago.

Those who realize that marijuana use now is no more of an epidemic now than it ever has been will be in the best position to do the homework necessary to differentiate those who control their pot smoking from those whose pot smoking controls them. And the teams who take the time to draw those lines instead of simply striking from the board anyone who has a history of doing something that a large percentage of the total college population has done will reap the benefits on draft day.

Heck, maybe even a few of the G.M.'s and coaches will celebrate by firing up a doobie.

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-03-26/draft-time-marijuana-concerns-are-much-ado-about-nothing"]http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article ... ut-nothing[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was referring to routine users, meaning stoners. Smoking on the weekend doesn't affect much, but I've witnessed way too many very intelligent guys become stoners while in college either flush out completely or have to make drastic measures to curb their lives. The same can be said of drunks. Not the people having a few at parties or even getting drunk 1-2 times a week. The nightly guys have problems. Same with the daily stoners. They are less productive. If you haven't seen this, then you are likely a stoner too. lol
    Can you imagine an NFL head coach as a stoner. They work 12 hour days regularly if not alot more. Not much time to smoke pot and be productive there.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    If you're too stupid to not smoke pot while you're waiting to see if you can be a professional athlete then i don't want you on my team.
    What if you're too stupid to not smoke pot while trying to remain a professional athlete?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    If you're too stupid to not smoke pot while you're waiting to see if you can be a professional athlete then i don't want you on my team.
    What if you're too stupid to not smoke pot while trying to remain a professional athlete?

Pot...That's how you be great. :P
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

hey, works for Santonio...if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Pot...That's how you be great. :P
    Man, what happened to MY Steelers??

All these rapists, the stoners, the overpaid janitors...

(please note sarcasm)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

hey, works for Santonio...if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Obviously using pot doesn't affect these guys ability to play the game. However, getting caught will adversely affect their ability to stay in the game. Is it worth it???

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Where have you been Armpit? Smoking weed and molesting towel dispensers in your free time?

[URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Where have you been Armpit? Smoking weed and molesting towel dispensers in your free time?

Wut up, Jig. Yeah, you know me too well!!

Been lurking more than posting. Crazy busy at work - but not complaining. I'll be on here sporadically. I can imagine how bad its been around here without me :P

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Man, what happened to MY Steelers??

All these rapists, the stoners, the overpaid janitors...

<something I didn't read>
    Dude, I can't believe you went there. First of all, Ben hasn't even been charged of rape. Last I heard, he hadn't been charged with anything at all! Second, it's obvious that the strawberry cough isn't affecting Stonio adversely. And finally, you need to keep your racist remarks about our head coach to yourself ya damn klansman ya.

Also, I can't believe you find it even remotely humorous to joke about such things as rape, hardcore drug abuse, and members of the sanitation arts. You sir, need to grow up!

No sarcasm or anything here. I'm completely, utterly, and totally serious.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>