Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attorney: 'Just no way to prosecute' Ben Roethlisberger

Legend

User Info Menu

Attorney: 'Just no way to prosecute' Ben Roethlisberger

Attorney: 'Just no way to prosecute' Ben Roethlisberger's case
    [url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2010-03-24-ben-roethlisberger-case_N.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... case_N.htm[/url]

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
    The attorney for Ben Roethlisberger says the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) has withdrawn its request for a DNA sample from the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback. The bureau is not confirming that, and opinions differ on what such a decision could suggest.

Roethlisberger is under investigation in Milledgeville, Ga., where a 20-year-old college student filed a sexual assault complaint against him March 5. No criminal charges have been filed.

"The GBI is not requesting at this point any DNA testing. They originally requested it, and then they withdrew their request," Roethlisberger's Atlanta-based attorney Ed Garland said Wednesday.

GBI spokesman John Bankhead said: "That came from Garland. We haven't said one way or the other."

Garland declined to speculate on the implications of what he said was the decision to withdraw the DNA testing request.

"My position has been uniform throughout that I'm not going to comment on the evidence or the investigation by the prosecution or the investigation that I'm doing," said Garland.

"I will say that it's my opinion that a thoughtful and thorough investigation is being done by law enforcement."

However, an attorney who represents one of two off-duty western Pennsylvania police officers who were in a group with Roethlisberger in Georgia did see significance in the report from Garland.

"That tells me what I've thought all along. … There's just no way to prosecute this case. There's no crime," said Pittsburgh area attorney Michael Santicola, who represents Coraopolis, Pa., police officer Anthony Barravecchio.

"As a lawyer, that's what it tells me. At the very beginning when I heard the whole story, I kind of shook my head at what they were doing down there. … I can't imagine how in the world they could charge him with any crime."

Page Pate, an Atlanta trial lawyer not involved with the case, took a counter view.

"DNA only becomes important if the person that's been accused said, 'Look I was no where near the girl, we never had any physical contact and she's making all this up,' " said Pate.

"If he's saying, 'Yeah, I was there, I was in the restroom with her, I was in the club with her,' the only issue is whether he assaulted her or whether there was consent involved. Then DNA is not that important. … If the allegation is basically that he grabbed me without my consent, made sexual moves towards me but didn't actually have intercourse, then providing a DNA sample is not going to really help them determine whether or not he did those things."

Police have not revealed the specifics of the allegation.

Under Georgia law, sexual assault includes a broad range of crimes, from rape (with 25 years mandatory imprisonment) to misdemeanor sexual battery, defined as intentionally making "physical contact with the intimate parts of the body of another person" without consent.

Pate on misdemeanor sexual battery convictions in general: "It's only going to be a probation only sentence or a very short jail time, one to two months, with the remainder on probation. I've never seen a misdemeanor sexual battery case result in more time than a couple of months in jail."

Garland said Thursday that he stands by his original statement that "no sexual assault occurred" and that Roethlisberger is "completely innocent."

Garland: "I haven't changed that statement in any respect."

He again declined comment on whether he might allow Roethlisberger to be interviewed by police.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Attorney: 'Just no way to prosecute' Ben Roethlisberger

"As a lawyer, that's what it tells me. At the very beginning when I heard the whole story, I kind of shook my head at what they were doing down there. … I can't imagine how in the world they could charge him with any crime."
    nuff said, let's move on to the draft....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    I'll feel better once he's officially cleared.

Goodell will still meet with Ben but, if he's not charged, I can't see him getting suspended. He might be put on double secret probation or go through some sort of counseling but that's about it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks

Goodell will still meet with Ben but, if he's not charged, I can't see him getting suspended. He might be put on double secret probation or go through some sort of counseling but that's about it.
    If you ask me, guilty or not.... He should be suspended.

He is fully guilty of being any idiot. Twice in less than a year, even if he has not done what they say he's done and taken things as far as they say he has. He has gone far enough to put himself in a position to be compromised.

If Goodell doesn't, I hope the Rooneys do.

He should be suspended not just to set an example that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated in the NFL or by the Rooney's, but also to for Ben's benefit as well. If he is not held accountable by the league, or at least his peers, for his poor judgment and inappropriate behavior, then he will not learn from this experience and he and the team could be right back here 6 months later.

There has to be some sort of accountability for being a dumb ass.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish it was that easy but there is also this in the story...

"DNA only becomes important if the person that's been accused said, 'Look I was no where near the girl, we never had any physical contact and she's making all this up,' " said Pate.

"If he's saying, 'Yeah, I was there, I was in the restroom with her, I was in the club with her,' the only issue is whether he assaulted her or whether there was consent involved. Then DNA is not that important. … If the allegation is basically that he grabbed me without my consent, made sexual moves towards me but didn't actually have intercourse, then providing a DNA sample is not going to really help them determine whether or not he did those things."
    until it's closed shut I can't see how we "move on"
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NWNewell

He is fully guilty of being any idiot. Twice in less than a year, even if he has not done what they say he's done and taken things as far as they say he has. He has gone far enough to put himself in a position to be compromised.

He should be suspended not just to set an example that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated in the NFL or by the Rooney's, but also to for Ben's benefit as well. If he is not held accountable by the league, or at least his peers, for his poor judgment and inappropriate behavior, then he will not learn from this experience and he and the team could be right back here 6 months later.

There has to be some sort of accountability for being a dumb bad word.
    Because suspending him will only punish the fans and his teammates. So it makes perfect sense, right?

Just because you're catching flak for being a Steelers fan and it hurts your feelings doesn't mean our franchise QB should be suspended if he's completely innocent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NWNewell

There has to be some sort of accountability for being a dumb bad word.
    Yeah well no one is asking ya.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8

Because suspending him will only punish the fans and his teammates. So it makes perfect sense, right?

I think that is the point of punishing Ben... hopefully he see's what giving bitches shots can do to a team and a city...

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

I think that is the point of punishing Ben... hopefully he see's what giving bitches shots can do to a team and a city...
    if you suspend ben you have suspend holmes. both cases are very similar and both skanks are just as credible in both cases. i think they should punish both some how but i dont want to see the first few games with dixon at qb and ward, wallace, and ARE as our top 3 wr's. why cant they just not pay them for half of a season? fines are always insignificant amounts to nfl players. can a team not pay a player for a season in a situation like this? that would send a BIG message!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

if you suspend ben you have suspend holmes. both cases are very similar and both skanks are just as credible in both cases. i think they should punish both some how but i dont want to see the first few games with dixon at qb and ward, wallace, and ARE as our top 3 wr's. why cant they just not pay them for half of a season? fines are always insignificant amounts to nfl players. can a team not pay a player for a season in a situation like this? that would send a BIG message!!
    I'm not sure holmes will get suspended based on the chicks actions and the police report.

Not sure about Ben either but with 2 SA accusations and a much higher profile he could get a Goodell 4 gamer. Not because of guilt but because he has 2 huge media knocks against him in such a small window.