Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attorney: 'Just no way to prosecute' Ben Roethlisberger

Re: Attorney: 'Just no way to prosecute' Ben Roethlisberger

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Quote Originally Posted by NWNewell
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    "As a lawyer, that's what it tells me. At the very beginning when I heard the whole story, I kind of shook my head at what they were doing down there. I can't imagine how in the world they could charge him with any crime."
    nuff said, let's move on to the draft....
    I'll feel better once he's officially cleared.

Goodell will still meet with Ben but, if he's not charged, I can't see him getting suspended. He might be put on double secret probation or go through some sort of counseling but that's about it.
    If you ask me, guilty or not.... He should be suspended.

He is fully guilty of being any idiot. Twice in less than a year, even if he has not done what they say he's done and taken things as far as they say he has. He has gone far enough to put himself in a position to be compromised.

If Goodell doesn't, I hope the Rooneys do.

He should be suspended not just to set an example that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated in the NFL or by the Rooney's, but also to for Ben's benefit as well. If he is not held accountable by the league, or at least his peers, for his poor judgment and inappropriate behavior, then he will not learn from this experience and he and the team could be right back here 6 months later.

There has to be some sort of accountability for being a dumb bad word.
    Because suspending him will only punish the fans and his teammates. So it makes perfect sense, right?

Just because you're catching flak for being a Steelers fan and it hurts your feelings doesn't mean our franchise QB should be suspended if he's completely innocent.
    He absolutely should have some consequences for his actions that have cast bad light on the Steeler organization. Ben should have to see what the results of his actions are and how they effect the team, his teammates and city.

Many don't believe this (probably the youngers on the board) and you may not want to hear this, but with great wealth and high standing comes great responsibility. I know ownership and responsibility are pesky little things that we are trying to get rid of, but they will always be there, thankfully.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Not sure about Ben either but with 2 SA accusations and a much higher profile he could get a Goodell 4 gamer. Not because of guilt but because he has 2 huge media knocks against him in such a small window.
    There is no way that Ben gets suspended simply for 2 accusations. If he is found innocent then Goodell has no basis to suspend him. Personal conduct suspensions are not for going to a bar and being accused of something. They are not for using the word b*tch (which was alleged).

I could see the organization with a stern warning about his lack of judgement if he is found innocent, but that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    "As a lawyer, that's what it tells me. At the very beginning when I heard the whole story, I kind of shook my head at what they were doing down there. I can't imagine how in the world they could charge him with any crime."
    nuff said, let's move on to the draft....
    I'll feel better once he's officially cleared.

Goodell will still meet with Ben but, if he's not charged, I can't see him getting suspended. He might be put on double secret probation or go through some sort of counseling but that's about it.
    If you ask me, guilty or not.... He should be suspended.

He is fully guilty of being any idiot. Twice in less than a year, even if he has not done what they say he's done and taken things as far as they say he has. He has gone far enough to put himself in a position to be compromised.

If Goodell doesn't, I hope the Rooneys do.

He should be suspended not just to set an example that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated in the NFL or by the Rooney's, but also to for Ben's benefit as well. If he is not held accountable by the league, or at least his peers, for his poor judgment and inappropriate behavior, then he will not learn from this experience and he and the team could be right back here 6 months later.

There has to be some sort of accountability for being a dumb bad word.
    Because suspending him will only punish the fans and his teammates. So it makes perfect sense, right?

Just because you're catching flak for being a Steelers fan and it hurts your feelings doesn't mean our franchise QB should be suspended if he's completely innocent.
    Nope, sorry. I'm not catching much flak at all, because I support the Steelers team, franchise, and the Rooneys above any single individual player. And I have thick enough skin and am psychologically mature enough to understand that a players actions from a team I support does not reflect on me as a person. My feelings are not hurt at all. But thanks for playing.

It's about personal accountability. And the law is not the end-all, be-all for governing personal accountability. When you are paid to represent and provide a service to an organization, you are expected to do so reliably and without hindering the team. His actions (guilty of a crime or not) have lead to uncertainty and distractions for the front office and the coaching staff about who their quarterback is going to be or, at the very least, how well he'll be able to perform this season and be focused on preparation during to offseason. The team shouldn't have to be worrying about that kind of stuff when they provided a 7yr/100mil contact to solidify the QB position. They need to be worrying about how they are going to improve from finishing 18th last year. Ben is not living up to his end of the agreement and I would love to see the Rooneys hold him accountable. Sorry, but as a professional athlete these days, your contract and paycheck is not purely for what you do on gameday, it's also about your commitment to preparation helping your franchise achieve it's goals off the field as well.

I'm not pro athlete, but even at my work, the company policy dictates that even if I were to get a DUI when not at work, I must report it to my company and meet with HR, even if I'm not convicted. (and even if the consequences of my DUI have no direct impact on my ability to perform my work). And the company can elect to deal with it as they see fit... and let me go if they choose.

Nope, sorry. I'm not catching much flak at all, because I support the Steelers team, franchise, and the Rooneys above any single individual player. And I have thick enough skin and am psychologically mature enough to understand that a players actions from a team I support does not reflect on me as a person. My feelings are not hurt at all. But thanks for playing.

It's about personal accountability. And the law is not the end-all, be-all for governing personal accountability. When you are paid to represent and provide a service to an organization, you are expected to do so reliably and without hindering the team. His actions (guilty of a crime or not) have lead to uncertainty and distractions for the front office and the coaching staff about who their quarterback is going to be or, at the very least, how well he'll be able to perform this season and be focused on preparation during to offseason. The team shouldn't have to be worrying about that kind of stuff when they provided a 7yr/100mil contact to solidify the QB position. They need to be worrying about how they are going to improve from finishing 18th last year. Ben is not living up to his end of the agreement and I would love to see the Rooneys hold him accountable. Sorry, but as a professional athlete these days, your contract and paycheck is not purely for what you do on gameday, it's also about your commitment to preparation helping your franchise achieve it's goals off the field as well.

I'm not pro athlete, but even at my work, the company policy dictates that even if I were to get a DUI when not at work, I must report it to my company and meet with HR, even if I'm not convicted. (and even if the consequences of my DUI have no direct impact on my ability to perform my work). And the company can elect to deal with it as they see fit... and let me go if they choose.
    All I have to say about this is the following:

Couldn't have said it any better myself, outstanding.

Pappy

2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB

Pappy[/quote]

Agreed. It seems like everyone wants to live wrong and have it be OK today. Standards, ethics, morals CHARACTER, integrity, are all FAR above the law.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

How's the view from on high?

Here's a newsflash for you: comparing your place of employment to the world of professional sports is not a valid comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Agreed. It seems like everyone wants to live wrong and have it be OK today. Standards, ethics, morals CHARACTER, integrity, are all FAR above the law.
    Live wrong according to whom?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy

very well stated NW

How's the view from on high?

Here's a newsflash for you: comparing your place of employment to the world of professional sports is not a valid comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Live wrong according to whom?
    Maybe, everyone should raise their standards a bit and things would be different. If the girl in question had a tad higher morals she wouldn't have gone willingly into a bathroom (of all places) for sex. If Ben had a tad higher standard he wouldn't have even suggested it to begin with. If the bodyguards had though about what was transpiring maybe they would have suggested to Ben that it isn't a good idea.

We're not talking living like the Pope, Dali Llama or Mother Teresa, but showing a little class isn't a bad thing. If the chick wants to get laid by a superstar quarterback, suggest that they go back to his place and give him the birthday romp. Why not Ben suggest going back to his place, after all, it was about 1:00AM get your tail and leave.

Nobody's sitting "on high" about this, we're asking for a little civility and class. Evidently, that's too much ask these days.

Pappy

2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB

How do you know who suggested what?

How do you know they were even in the bathroom together?

How do you know who suggested what?

How do you know they were even in the bathroom together?
    I don't; I wasn't there, none of us were. We're extrapolating information from articles, interviews and news clippings. If you choose to believe that Ben was not even in the bathroom at this point, that's fine, the reporting says differently. If you choose to believe that one and or both of them didn't suggest having a little rendezvous in the bathroom, that's fine, the reporting says differently. If you believe that the woman had no contact with Ben, fell on her on accord and hit her head, that's fine, the reporting says differently (although, we don't have any idea how she actually hit her head).

If you want to believe that Ben used outstanding discretion in this matter, that's fine. I happen to believe that he didn't, regardless of the outcome. In the end, I doubt anything comes of this, the bottom line for the Steelers is that Ben is causing a distraction leading up to the draft and the upcoming season.

Pappy

2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB