Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Investigation against Ben on the verge of being dropped...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Investigation against Ben on the verge of being dropped...

Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    My best guess is Ben paid her off and that's why she's hush hush now
    My guess is what I've said all along, the accuser is FOS.
    here here,

suprised some fans would take the word of a underage drucnk college girl over the words of our team's QB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That goes without saying, but just because she is lying doesn't mean he wouldn't pay her off to go away.
    I don't think he can just pay her off since it's a criminal case, that would be obstruction of justice. If it were a civil suit, he could pay her off like he probably would McNulty if he was guilty.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That goes without saying, but just because she is lying doesn't mean he wouldn't pay her off to go away.
    I don't think he can just pay her off since it's a criminal case, that would be obstruction of justice. If it were a civil suit, he could pay her off like he probably would McNulty if he was guilty.
    Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Once the authorities are involved, I don't think someone can just drop the charges. Sure, they can decide not to cooperate, but the police or GBI could still go forward with the case based on the initial complaint and evidence collected. Obviously, there's no evidence and therefore no case.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This girl may have fallen down and then came up with a good story. Or bad story if you think of it that way. A truck driver from Cleveland just left my shop and I asked him if they are loving it that Ben is getting the negative press. He said he's a Steeler fan but originally everyone thought the first Nevada scene was a put up from a gold digger but now, he and many there think Ben is either placing himself in stupid situations or possibly Ben has an ego problem that ever girl should want him. Just goes to show that everyone has their take on things.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would think that hush money would come with the condition that the recants her story. More likely that she realizes that under more scrutiny she becomes a public laughingstock and embarassment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Once the authorities are involved, I don't think someone can just drop the charges. Sure, they can decide not to cooperate, but the police or GBI could still go forward with the case based on the initial complaint and evidence collected. Obviously, there's no evidence and therefore no case.
    I once wore a cop outfit for a girl once So...I believe she is necessary for the DA to bring about charges and take to trial. Without her, it will be thrown out. I think she also has the right to withdraw her complaint. Things make more sense now. They might even have some DNA but without her cooperation the DA will not pursue. It didn't make sense to me why they wanted DNA when Ben told them he had sexual contact. Unless he denied being in that room and they had DNA of him in that room. Or possible she said she scratched him and there was DNA under her nails. I think the investigators saying they don't need DNA is largely in part of them knowing the accuser will not be cooperating. The accuser not cooperating could be because of one of three reasons IMO. The accusations are completely false, the accuser has decided to take this to civil court, or Roethlisberger & his attorney have reached out to make a deal to make this thing disappear. The last scenario is not necessarily an admission of guilt. Given the circumstances of the two accusation and Ben's career...It might be in his best interest to make this go away. The reality of it is, nothing positive can come out of the case moving forward regardless if he is completely exonerated in a court of law.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    I would think that hush money would come with the condition that the recants her story. More likely that she realizes that under more scrutiny she becomes a public laughingstock and embarassment.
    If things do drop totally about this last episode, I'm sure many will think that Ben paid her to drop the charges even if it is or isn't the case.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No way he paid her. There is no evidence that he did anything. He's already taken the publicity hit and people think what they want. At most he pushed her down, which is maybe fineable, but not exactly something that will damage him much more than he's already been damaged. He clearly didn't knock her around. She was clearly drunk. Nothing she is bringing to the table would help the case. It would be dumb to pay her off now. Yes, Ben is showing some 'dumb' abilities, but he does have a lawyer! Plus a payoff would be found for sure by the Vegas girl's attorney and would be used against him there.
    Mrs. Georgia girl would never win this case and she herself knows it and has less interest in becoming a public spectacle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    No way he paid her. There is no evidence that he did anything. He's already taken the publicity hit and people think what they want. At most he pushed her down, which is maybe fineable, but not exactly something that will damage him much more than he's already been damaged. He clearly didn't knock her around. She was clearly drunk. Nothing she is bringing to the table would help the case. It would be dumb to pay her off now. Yes, Ben is showing some 'dumb' abilities, but he does have a lawyer! Plus a payoff would be found for sure by the Vegas girl's attorney and would be used against him there.
    Mrs. Georgia girl would never win this case and she herself knows it and has less interest in becoming a public spectacle.
    Educated people know that if a settlement was ever made, it has nothing to do with admission of guilt. It could mean the person is guilty but it could also be in the person's best interest. You are correct the damage has been down. This isn't about completely saving Ben's reputation or erasing questions about his character. Ben is fighting for his livelyhood right now. The faster this goes away the quicker he could get on the road to rebuilding his name. There are things that could come out in a trial that could be more catastrophic to Ben than if he settled and left them private. Now, I'm not saying this is what happened...I'm saying it is a real possibilty.

As far as the 1st incident, from what I have heard & read, the have alot of evidence from emails that contradict all her accusations. If they don't, then I agree with you. A settlement may not be an easy way out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think he can pay her anything, it's a criminal case.