Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3-4 schemes provide challenges for NFL teams in draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: 3-4 schemes provide challenges for NFL teams in draft

The Bull Market

Author: Jinx Allessio
    Posted March 20, 2010

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has sectors based upon different areas of the economy. There are times that movement among these sectors can predict overall movement in the economy. One sector that has performed very well since November 1st, 2009 is consumer goods. Consumer goods consists of anything that someone purchases to satisfy their wants and needs (e.g. food and clothing). Being that I work in the world of finance where speculation and interpretation provide some insight for future movement in the market, I have developed a reason why consumer goods has performed so well.

Four names come to mind to help highlight my thesis. Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Ryan Pickett and Aubrayo Franklin. The amount of money that has been allocated to solidifying the 3-4 nose tackle position this off season is unprecidented. In previous offseasons Sean Rogers and Kris Jenkins are two others that reaped the rewards of this economic shift. NFL organizations used to allocate those funds towards quarterbacks, running backs, defensive ends and left tackles. The money those men have generated is one of the primary reasons why the performance of the consumer goods sector has been one of the most consistant performers over the past two quarters.

A trend is developing beyond the economic factors of this influx of capital being used for nose tackles. This trend will carry over in the the 2010 NFL Draft. Several teams who run the 3-4 defense are in serious need of a nose tackle. The Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins and San Diego Superchargers are a few that have an immediate need where many other needs depth and need to draft someone to take the reigns of that position within the next few seasons.

There are severals prospects that will be chosen during the draft this year that would have never been drafted as high as the nose tackle prospects of the past. Has there ever been the amount of prospects that could be drafted this year to play the nose tackle position? I will say yes, but the trending of teams utulizing the 3-4 defense and the emphasis on needing the nose tackle will increase the need of drafting one there for you will see teams adjusting the typical need and value boards accordingly. This year you will see someone like Cam Thomas drafted in the 2nd round, where as a prospect like Cam Thomas 10 years ago would not have been drafted before the 5th round. This trend may not be as revolutionary as the trend of drafting left tackles over the last 20 years, because every team needs a left tackle, but this is a significant change that will effect decisions in war rooms for many NFL organizations.

Who are some of the prospects that will hear their name called during the 2010 NFL Draft? Highlighting the class are defensive tackles Dan Williams (University of Tennessee) and Terrance ‘Mount’ Cody(University of Alabama). Both are very interesting prospects for very different reasons but they both have the chance to contribute to the Consumer Goods sector of the DJIA by being first round draft picks. Williams’ resume provides him the versatility to be drafted by a team running either a 30 or 40 front. Draftniks and other football enthusiasts are projecting that Mount Cody will fall to the second round. I am not here to break down the pros and cons of each potential first round prospect but I will tell you this, they will both be in high demand come April 22nd. The value of a nose tackle has been enhanced and their are teams in the first round that will address that need by drafting either Williams or Cody.

The Buffalo Bills are a team who will be playing their first year in 2010 using the 3-4, would they pass up on the opportunity of drafting Dan Williams with the ninth overall pick? They do have needs that are much more pressing so I don’t see that happening but that does not mean that it is not in the realm of possibility.

Besides the three aforementioned nose tackle prospects their at least six others that could be drafted. Head lining the next group of prospects in Linvall Joseph(6-4 1/2, 32, a defensive tackle and mountain of a man out of Eastern Carolina University. A three year starter for the Pirates, Joseph really caught my eye during the 2009 Liberty Bowl. He was not only stout at the point of attack commanding double and triple teams all day, but also had two blocked extra apoints. Linvall Joseph performed very well in the 2009-10 season posting 60 tackles, 13.0 TFLs and 3 sacks. With the newfound priortization of the nose tackle position, Joseph could hear his name called as soon as the third round.

The other prospects that need to be mentioned are Torrel Troup(Central Florida), D’Anthony Smith(Louisiana Tech), Aleric Mullens (University of North Carolina), Jay Ross (Eastern Carolina), Kade Weston(University of Georgia) and Martin Tevaseu(UNLV). Many of these players will end up being drafted between rounds three through seven where as I pointed out before they may have never been drafted and nothing more than bodies in some teams training camp without the importance of a nose tackle in the 3-4 defense.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    If Lawrence Timmons is going to live up to his draft status he will need to become the star of the Steelers 3-4 defense. This position has his name written all over it (I must now admit that saying his natural position is OLB was incorrect). With his speed and quickness and learning to shed blockers he should rack up 100+ tackles very soon.

Pappy
    They need to give Farrior's mack position to Timmons. Let Foote and Fox worry about being the thumper at the buck. We could also still consider drafting Brandon Spikes to be the buck of the future, since his poor showings at the combine and pro day have dropped him out of 2nd round consideration, and he may now be available as late as the 4th round.
    I don't get Farrior playing the mack and Timmons the buck that seems exactly opposite to what was described by Dom Capers. Maybe Lebeau plays a different flavor of the 3-4 than Dom Capers described.

Pappy
    When I referenced moving Timmons to the mack (the playmaking position), I did not suggest having him swap places with Farrior. I suggested having Foote and Fox handle the responsibilities of the buck (thumper) position. An aging Farrior could spell Timmons at the mack, and Fox could spell Foote at the buck. If they spent a mid round pick on a guy like Brandon Spikes or Micah Johnson, he could be learn the buck positon for the future, with Fox moving over to back up Timmons at the mack when Farrior retires.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

a 3-4 DE sleeper from Mike Tomlin's alma mater -

THE SLEEPER FILE
    PROSPECTS TO WATCH FOR THE 2010 DRAFT

Sean Lissemore, DT, William&Mary, 6-3.5, 298, 4.75

It may be a bit of an oxymoron to describe an emerging 3-4 defensive lineman, most of whom are pretty big guys, as sleepers, but one worth a mention is D1A William & Mary DT Sean Lissemore. An unusually large number of NFL personnel people went to the school's pro day earlier this month mostly with the intention of checking out tweener DE Adrian Tracy, but couldn't help but notice Lissemore, a near 300-pounder with uncommon quickness and athleticism for such a big man. Indeed, Lissemore reportedly ran the 40 in close to 4.70 seconds, while recording times of 4.55 in the short shuttle and 7.60 in the three-cone drill, both of which would have been among the top ten for defensive linemen at the combine.

In fact, Lissemore is a good athlete who was actually a sprinter in hig school as well as a state-ranked wrestler. Lissemore is coming off a solid season at William & Mary where he had 66 tackles including 6.5 sacks and 7.5 other tackles for loss; and just to show his athleticism he also picked off a couple of passes and blocked a kick. And the NFL is starting to notice as he has received a number of invitations to visit pro teams in the coming weeks including Arizona, Atlanta, Seattle and Jacksonville, as well as both the Giants and Jets. Lissemore is also getting attention as both a 4-3 DT, as well as 3-4 DE where his size and athleticsm would make a very nice match.

[url="http://www.gbnreport.com/sleeperfile.html"]http://www.gbnreport.com/sleeperfile.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Both Tracy (a 4-3 DE who would be converted to a 3-4 OLB) and Lissemore (a 4-3 DT who would be converted to a 3-4 DE) would be interesting late round considerations (considering Tomlin's obvious connection to that school...he was given an honorary doctorate while giving the commencement address there a year or two ago).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Both Tracy (a 4-3 DE who would be converted to a 3-4 OLB) and Lissemore (a 4-3 DT who would be converted to a 3-4 DE) would be interesting late round considerations (considering Tomlin's obvious connection to that school...he was given an honorary doctorate while giving the commencement address there a year or two ago).
    And just think of the field day all the Tomlin haters would have if he selected a player from his alma mater and they did not make the starting line up or Pro Bowl as rookies.

Do you think we might have one or two specific posters who would rip him? But then again they would rip him no matter who we take so I say take both of them just to tick them off. I think many of us discount skip over what they post anyway.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    And just think of the field day all the Tomlin haters would have if he selected a player from his alma mater and they did not make the starting line up or Pro Bowl as rookies.

Do you think we might have one or two specific posters who would rip him? But then again they would rip him no matter who we take so I say take both of them just to tick them off. I think many of us discount skip over what they post anyway.
    Overpaid Nepotist Janitor!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Do you think we might have one or two specific posters who would rip him? But then again they would rip him no matter who we take so I say take both of them just to tick them off. I think many of us discount and skip over what they post anyway.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"