Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Hate having different rules for regular season vs. playoffs. How many teams miss the playoffs b/c of one loss (which could come in the old rules). A regular season game the last game of the year where the winner is in and the loser is out is less important than a playoff game?

One set of rules fro the entire season. If it's important enough to fiddle with fro the playoffs then it's importantant enough for week 3.
    But if you allow ties in regular season (as they do now after one quarter of OT), then there has to be differences between regular season and playoffs, since somebody has to advance in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=feltdizz]
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3savomyj
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    So after Peyton Manning gets the ball first and drives down for a perceived game winning FG then lose when the Colts D gives up a TD because of the new rules I bet you we go right back to the old rules. LOL...
    People have been complaining about the OT rules long before Manning ever came into the league.
    Talking about it for 20 years but changed it 2 years after Manning was knocked out without a touch in San Diego. For weeks all they talked about was the MVP not getting a touch.

I don't like it and I think if Manning loses an OT game due to the new rule we will hear ESPN and all the experts scream about the change.
    Man you just don't get it, do you?

People will use whatever leverage they can to further their argument. The OT rules weren't changed because Manning didn't get to touch the ball. But Manning is a big name so when he doesn't get to touch the ball in OT the people who want the OT rules changed will use his name as LEVERAGE to make their case.

it pains you to agree with me...

If Peyton was used as LEVERAGE it implies he was the primary reason the rule was changed.

I know it hurts... but thank you for proving my point. [/quote:3savomyj]

It doesn't pain me because I don't agree with you and your conspiracy theories. "Leverage" as in "attention".

Putting Manning's name in something that has been on-going since before he was even in the league merely brings attention to it...or so the people who use his name believe anyway.

It's really a very simple debate tactic and I'd think a simple mind would have no trouble grasping that simple concept.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Hate having different rules for regular season vs. playoffs. How many teams miss the playoffs b/c of one loss (which could come in the old rules). A regular season game the last game of the year where the winner is in and the loser is out is less important than a playoff game?

One set of rules fro the entire season. If it's important enough to fiddle with fro the playoffs then it's importantant enough for week 3.
    But if you allow ties in regular season (as they do now after one quarter of OT), then there has to be differences between regular season and playoffs, since somebody has to advance in the playoffs.
    The only difference should be a playoff must have a winner, obviously. But completely different ruls on how to get a winner - keeping the old way for regular season and then a completely different way for the playoffs sucks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure why anyone would use Manning as the conspiracy theory. If anything they should name this new rule the Farve rule - the NFL changed the rule because he didn't get to touch the ball against New Orleans. All the NFL d!ck sucking of Farve led to the change. It's so obvious....

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure why anyone would use Manning as the conspiracy theory. If anything they should name this new rule the Farve rule - the NFL changed the rule because he didn't get to touch the ball against New Orleans. All the NFL d!ck sucking of Farve led to the change. It's so obvious....
    The argument against the NFL OT rules have been going on long before Favre became the darling of the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

The argument against the NFL OT rules have been going on long before Favre became the darling of the NFL.
    You're not good with sarcasm....

Legend

User Info Menu

You're not good with sarcasm....
    Usually sarcasm is indicated by or [sarcasm][/sarcasm] since one can't "hear" another's tone (or see facial expressions) on a message board.

Legend

User Info Menu

I use Manning because ESPN analyst were crying for 3 weeks about the MVP not touching the ball in San Diego. Regardless StlrzD needs to lighten up... I thought a LOL would show sarcasm but the eye roll, it's the eye roll.

he does agree with me but needs words like attention and leverage added to make it pure and right. I wonder why the DB rules were relaxed after the Colts WR's were manhandled by the Pats? Conspiracy? I roll.....
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I've said it before and I'll say it again...why in the world would anyone use the "Peyton Manning never touched the ball against the Chargers in the playoffs" argument to help pass this rule change? In that game, the Chargers scored a TD on the opening drive of OT. Under this new rule, that would still end the game, and Peyton still would not have touched the ball in OT. This only prevents a FG on the opening drive of OT from winning the game. A TD on the opening drive is an automatic game-winner.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...why in the world would anyone use the "Peyton Manning never touched the ball against the Chargers in the playoffs" argument to help pass this rule change? In that game, the Chargers scored a TD on the opening drive of OT. Under this new rule, that would still end the game, and Peyton still would not have touched the ball in OT. This only prevents a FG on the opening drive of OT from winning the game. A TD on the opening drive is an automatic game-winner.
    and as it should be, if you give up a touchdown in OT on the opening drive, than you deserve not to win....
    If I remember right, the vikings had 2 maybe 3 chances to get off the field in OT last year in the nfc championship. I remember 2 third and longs and one was like a third and 12 or something and the vikings did not stop it, not to mention they had a chance to win the game in the closing minute, they did not lose the game bc of overtime...