Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,912

    Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    New postseason overtime rules

    Both teams must have the opportunity to possess the ball once during the extra period, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession, in which case it is the winner.

    If the team that possesses the ball first scores a field goal on its initial possession, the other team shall have the opportunity to possess the ball. If [that team] scores a touchdown on its possession, it is the winner. If the score is tied after [both teams have a] possession, the team next scoring by any method shall be the winner.

    If the score is tied at the end of a 15-minute overtime period, or if [the overtime period's] initial possession has not ended, another overtime period will begin, and play will continue until a score is made, regardless of how many 15-minute periods are necessary.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,699

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    So after Peyton Manning gets the ball first and drives down for a perceived game winning FG then lose when the Colts D gives up a TD because of the new rules I bet you we go right back to the old rules. LOL...

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    So after Peyton Manning gets the ball first and drives down for a perceived game winning FG then lose when the Colts D gives up a TD because of the new rules I bet you we go right back to the old rules. LOL...
    People have been complaining about the OT rules long before Manning ever came into the league.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,268

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    A recent analysis by economist Richard E. Hawkins of Pennsylvania State University in DuBois confirms that these differences are statistically significant.

    "The analysis finds with 99.99 % certainty that the [coin] flip has made a difference in the outcome of the game over the last 10 years," he concludes. "But for the period prior to those 10 years, the coin flip cannot be shown to be important."


    Why the difference?

    Interestingly, the cumulative data hide the effect of a rule change that occurred in 1994, when kickoffs were moved back 5 yards to the 30-yard line. Since 1994, nearly one-third of overtime games have been won on the first possession by the team that received the ball first. In the first 20 seasons, under the old rule, slightly more than one-quarter of the games were won in this fashion.

    Further analysis by Hawkins suggests that the first-to-six rule will reduce the first possession effect but will also result in more potential ties.

    This article suggests moving the kick-off back by 5 yds will reduce the first possession winner effect:

    http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010...to-change.html

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,268

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    It is also interesting to mention that the coin-toss winner does not necessarily mean they won without the other team possessing the ball. If fact in OT games over a 20 yr span approximately 72% of the games had both sides possessing the ball.

    Also I don't have the stats handy but it would be interesting to know what % of OT games were won with a field goal on the first possession.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    A recent analysis by economist Richard E. Hawkins of Pennsylvania State University in DuBois confirms that these differences are statistically significant.

    "The analysis finds with 99.99 % certainty that the [coin] flip has made a difference in the outcome of the game over the last 10 years," he concludes. "But for the period prior to those 10 years, the coin flip cannot be shown to be important."


    Why the difference?

    Interestingly, the cumulative data hide the effect of a rule change that occurred in 1994, when kickoffs were moved back 5 yards to the 30-yard line. Since 1994, nearly one-third of overtime games have been won on the first possession by the team that received the ball first. In the first 20 seasons, under the old rule, slightly more than one-quarter of the games were won in this fashion.

    Further analysis by Hawkins suggests that the first-to-six rule will reduce the first possession effect but will also result in more potential ties.

    This article suggests moving the kick-off back by 5 yds will reduce the first possession winner effect:

    http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010...to-change.html
    The rule change is for the playoffs only. There will be no ties...someone has to win in order to advance.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,699

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    So after Peyton Manning gets the ball first and drives down for a perceived game winning FG then lose when the Colts D gives up a TD because of the new rules I bet you we go right back to the old rules. LOL...
    People have been complaining about the OT rules long before Manning ever came into the league.
    Talking about it for 20 years but changed it 2 years after Manning was knocked out without a touch in San Diego. For weeks all they talked about was the MVP not getting a touch.

    I don't like it and I think if Manning loses an OT game due to the new rule we will hear ESPN and all the experts scream about the change.

  8. #8

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    What we are failing to see is this:

    The winner of the coin toss will still win the majority of the games even in overtime. If the Steelers win the toss what will they do??? They along with the majority of the teams, even the COLTS will KICK OFF. They will elect to KICKOFF or if its EXTREMELY WINDY they will elect to TAKE SIDE!!!!!!!!!

    Getting the ball 2nd will tell them exactly what they need to do to win the game. All 4 downs can be used vice only 3 for the team getting the ball first. So once again its an unfair advantage to the team winning the coin toss........Doesnt matter what they do to change overtime its always going to be determined by the flip of the coin.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    So after Peyton Manning gets the ball first and drives down for a perceived game winning FG then lose when the Colts D gives up a TD because of the new rules I bet you we go right back to the old rules. LOL...
    People have been complaining about the OT rules long before Manning ever came into the league.
    Talking about it for 20 years but changed it 2 years after Manning was knocked out without a touch in San Diego. For weeks all they talked about was the MVP not getting a touch.

    I don't like it and I think if Manning loses an OT game due to the new rule we will hear ESPN and all the experts scream about the change.
    Man you just don't get it, do you?

    People will use whatever leverage they can to further their argument. The OT rules weren't changed because Manning didn't get to touch the ball. But Manning is a big name so when he doesn't get to touch the ball in OT the people who want the OT rules changed will use his name as LEVERAGE to make their case.


  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    4,039

    Re: Owners Pass New Overtime Rules for Playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie36
    What we are failing to see is this:

    The winner of the coin toss will still win the majority of the games even in overtime. If the Steelers win the toss what will they do??? They along with the majority of the teams, even the COLTS will KICK OFF. They will elect to KICKOFF or if its EXTREMELY WINDY they will elect to TAKE SIDE!!!!!!!!!

    Getting the ball 2nd will tell them exactly what they need to do to win the game. All 4 downs can be used vice only 3 for the team getting the ball first. So once again its an unfair advantage to the team winning the coin toss........Doesnt matter what they do to change overtime its always going to be determined by the flip of the coin.
    Unless the team that receives the ball scores a TD. Then, it is over. I don't think teams will want to allow that to happen. Most teams will receive.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •