Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Back

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rate the need at this position - Defensive Back

Let's put all the individual player pimping aside for a minute and try to take a position by position look at exactly how crucial the need for top talent infusion is at each position.

The Overall Need is on a 10 point scale and represents how essential I feel it is to pick a player at this position in one of the first 2 rounds this year.

CB (Under contract through) Age
    Ike Taylor (2010) 29
    Willie Gay (2010) 25
    Joe Burnett (2011) 23
    Keenan Lewis (2011) 23
    Anthony Madison (2010) 28
    Trai Williams (2010) 25

Age certainly isn't an issue here, but quality and contract length sure are. Ike Taylor is a very capable starter, but is only under contract one more year and is as far from a playmaker as you'll ever see a CB be. Beyond him, well...who knows. Willie Gay was a 5th round pick...should he really be counted on to be a starter? No. Same goes for Burnett. Keenan Lewis is the best bet to be the starter, but no one really knows how his development is going except for the coaches. Someone needs to be drafted very early and that player needs to see significant time and be ready to go if Ike Taylor moves on after his contract is up.

Overall Need - 10

FS
    Ryan Clark (2013) 30
    Will Allen (2012) 27
    Ryan Mundy (2010) 25

This position is pretty set. Clark will be the starter for the next three years and Allen should be a solid insurance policy. Hopefully it was just Clark trying to make up for having Ty Carter next to him instead of Troy that made him look bad last year.

Overall Need - 4

SS
    Troy Polamalu (2011) 28
    Tuff Harris (2010) 27

Troy is the best in the game, and Harris is probably of no use. I'd figure Allen would be the first in at both FS and SS if anyone goes down this year. A good backup SS is needed, but you don't draft backups in rounds 1 and 2. Troy only has 2 years left on his contract but I expect him to be the absolute priority when his time comes for another contract and he will get one. I also don't think it's right to spend a high draft pick as an insurance policy against injury - that's why you have guys like Will Allen around to fill in as needed.

Overall Need - 2

How would you all rate the need at these positions as far as picking them in the first two rounds this year?

[url="http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html"]http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html[/url]

[url="http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/12/20"]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/12/20[/url] ... -contract/

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Back

CB is the biggest need of the team IMO.

next is center, followed by replacing farrior

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

10 is the highest? Geez. Now I have to go back to the DL thread.

CB is an 11.
    FS is a 2
    SS is a 4 (I feel Troy is a little injury prone and Allen is a true FS, not a SS.)

These ratings are helpful, but if the Steelers love a player (even a FS) they could take him early. Let him learn for a year, play some nickel/dime and special teams. Then, let him challenge Clark in 2011 (if there is a season). Also, players that can play both safety positions or FS and CB are more valuable.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree the two biggest needs are CB and DL. I'm starting to think that it could be Kyle Wilson at #18. I'd love to see us take Thomas/Wilson and as someone suggested trade up into the high 2nd round (or very late 1st round) and take Odrick if he is still there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Certainly the need for a starting quality CB for if not now, the future, is required. All well & good hoping that Lewis & Burnett develop, but if they don't the Steelers could have a long wait on their hands before they can improve the CB situation.

The question is though- with so much depth at CB this draft, is grabbing one in Round 1 or 2 'necessary'?

Certainly the need to add a CB is a priority- within the first 3-4 rounds.

As for FS, there is a certain need there too- if the Steelers either want to use Allen as the back-up SS, or if they see Mundy playing SS. But it's a low priority- Round 5 onwards.

Same with SS.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Certainly the need for a starting quality CB for if not now, the future, is required. All well & good hoping that Lewis & Burnett develop, but if they don't the Steelers could have a long wait on their hands before they can improve the CB situation.

The question is though- with so much depth at CB this draft, is grabbing one in Round 1 or 2 'necessary'?

Certainly the need to add a CB is a priority- within the first 3-4 rounds.

As for FS, there is a certain need there too- if the Steelers either want to use Allen as the back-up SS, or if they see Mundy playing SS. But it's a low priority- Round 5 onwards.

Same with SS.
    Chadman....DOMINANT......DOMINANT......DOMINANT... ..OK, I think I got it now!

Legend

User Info Menu

The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

CB is an 11.
    FS is a 2
    SS is a 4 (I feel Troy is a little injury prone and Allen is a true FS, not a SS.)

These ratings are helpful, but if the Steelers love a player (even a FS) they could take him early. Let him learn for a year, play some nickel/dime and special teams. Then, let him challenge Clark in 2011 (if there is a season). Also, players that can play both safety positions or FS and CB are more valuable.

you obviously don't know what you're talking about...our need at CB is definitely a 12.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

CB is an 11.
    FS is a 2

you obviously don't know what you're talking about...our need at CB is definitely a 12.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess that I'm the only one that thinks that Lewis and Burnett weren't wasted picks. Safety, IMO is the biggest need in the defensive backfield. Both our backups are terrible, Ryan Clark is only a stopgap as far as I'm concerned until we insert someone else. I wouldn't draft a corner this season unless Haden is there (and that's only if Thomas isn't). And even though Ike doesn't pick the ball off, he sure does keep some of the elite receivers from making plays. take gay out of the equation (make him a nickle where he belongs) and let burnett or Lewis fight for it...