Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Line

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rate the need at this position - Defensive Line

Let's put all the individual player pimping aside for a minute and try to take a position by position look at exactly how crucial the need for top talent infusion is at each position.

The Overall Need is on a 10 point scale and represents how essential I feel it is to pick a player at this position in one of the first 2 rounds this year.

DE (Under contract through) Age
    Aaron Smith (2011) 33
    Ziggy Hood (2013) 23
    Brett Keisel (2013) 31
    Rashon Harris (2010) 23

Hood should be a future starter, Harris likely wont be expected to be anything more than a rotational player. It would be foolish to expect Aaron Smith to be a starter anymore after the potential lockout season in 2011. At that point, Keisel very well could be on his last legs too being 33 years old then. A future starter is needed to pair with Hood, but it can wait until next year if the value isn't there. If the value is right, then the pick should be made because it has been said DE in this 3-4 defense is one of the harder positions to adjust to and I don't want to see the team stuck using a player who isn't ready to play. Groom someone now if you have to, but have them ready to step in because the DE is that important.

Overall Need - 5

NT
    Casey Hampton (2013?) 32
    Chris Hoke (2010) 33

Steve McClendon? He could be the next Chris Hoke if he takes the needed steps forward. The coaches seemed to really like him last year as an UDFA. I haven't seen any word on him being on the roster this year though. Even if he is, he will never be the go-to NT for this team. Casey Hampton can be the needed run clogger until at least 2012. Much the same as DE, a top NT is needed soon but is not absolutely essential to pick this year. It's less necessary than DE in that only one is needed and two capable guys should be around for 2 or 3 more years.

Overall Need - 3

How would you all rate the need at these positions as far as picking them in the first two rounds this year?

[url="http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html"]http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html[/url]

[url="http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/12/2010-steelers-free-agents-players-under-contract/"]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/12/20 ... -contract/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Line

I think you got it about right. Don't really need to add to the DL in Round 1 or 2 however from Round 3 on I would OK adding a NT and another DE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

DE-5
    NT-5

But, I think you have to consider that this draft has great depth at a lot of positions that won't necessarily be there next year (including 3-4 D linemen). So, if you get a shot at a future starter, you may have to pull the trigger even if you have a more pressing need that could be addressed. Also, a player like Cam Thomas or maybe Dan Williams who can play both NT and DE would give Tomlin one of those flexibility guys he likes and may end up saving a roster spot.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would touch DE up one or two notches just to increase our options for a rotation. Aaron Smith may be best scaled back a little at this point. Team Concept: The DLine takes a beating and having good depth allows us to throw more quality players in to help absorb that beating.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If our entire draft was Thomas/Wilson, Odrick and a 4th to 5th round C/RB, I would consider it a success. How do we trade to do that, I don't know and probably can't happen, but still just filling those two most vital areas would be great for me.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers said they were committed to getting younger on the DL last season, and added Hood & Harris. Job half done. They need at least another DE & certainly a NT from this draft to ensure that moving forward, the Steelers DL doesn't face enormous change in the space of 1 off season through retirements to older players.

Depth & value for the DE position might be best found from Round 3 onwards, and NT- if you miss the first 3 or 4 'elite' options- has depth through Rounds 4-6 looking at the draft board.

Need at least 2 more DL from this draft to continue the revamp of the DL.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    DE-5
    NT-4

But, I think you have to consider that this draft has great depth at a lot of positions that won't necessarily be there next year (including 3-4 D linemen). So, if you get a shot at a future starter, you may have to pull the trigger even if you have a more pressing need that could be addressed. Also, a player like Cam Thomas or maybe Dan Williams who can play both NT and DE would give Tomlin one of those flexibility guys he likes and may end up saving a roster spot.

i like your idea of drafting a young DT that has the position flexibility to play both NT and DE and thus save a roster spot.

Dan Williams and Cam Thomas would have to be selected in the first two rounds, can anybody suggest a few more such players that can be drafted in Rounds 3 or later?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    DE-5
    NT-4

i like your idea of drafting a young DT that has the position flexibility to play both NT and DE and thus save a roster spot.

Dan Williams and Cam Thomas would have to be selected in the first two rounds, can anybody suggest a few more such players that can be drafted in Rounds 3 or later?
    Steelers were kicking the tyres of D'Anthony Smith from Louisiana Tech the other day- 6'2" 304 lbs. Should be available in rounds 4-5. Of course, if the Steelers are smart, they could have been checking Smith out because he competed against Mike Iupati 3 years running...background research into a possible 1st Round target..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    DE-5
    NT-4

After Dan and Cam, you have Oviedo's second favorite prospect (after Spiller), Torrell Troup from Central Florida. The following 4 guys will likely be taken on day two of the draft (rounds 2 or 3): Arkansas State's Alex Carrington, Cal's Tyson Alualu, Northwestern's Corey Wootten, and Texas' LaMarr Houston. If any of those guys were available at #82, they would be considered, I'm sure. After that, in the early portions of day three, Syracuse's Arthur Jones is intriguing (would be rated much higher if not for his knee injury) as well as the entire d-line from East Carolina (of all places): C.J. Wilson, Linval Joseph, and Jay Ross.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm pimpin' Linval Joseph big time & some other later round guys I think would be interesting guys to bring in are Al Woods (LSU), Aleric Mullins (UNC) & Brandon Deaderic (Alabama).
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...