Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Back

Re: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Back

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    I guess that I'm the only one that thinks that Lewis and Burnett weren't wasted picks. Safety, IMO is the biggest need in the defensive backfield. Both our backups are terrible, Ryan Clark is only a stopgap as far as I'm concerned until we insert someone else. I wouldn't draft a corner this season unless Haden is there (and that's only if Thomas isn't). And even though Ike doesn't pick the ball off, he sure does keep some of the elite receivers from making plays. take gay out of the equation (make him a nickle where he belongs) and let burnett or Lewis fight for it...

and in the event Burnett and Lewis don't show marked improvement, wouldn't it make sense to have another fall-back option?

i'm all for giving your scenario a shot, but i also would like to add another promising young CB into the mix...just in case.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    I guess that I'm the only one that thinks that Lewis and Burnett weren't wasted picks. Safety, IMO is the biggest need in the defensive backfield. Both our backups are terrible, Ryan Clark is only a stopgap as far as I'm concerned until we insert someone else. I wouldn't draft a corner this season unless Haden is there (and that's only if Thomas isn't). And even though Ike doesn't pick the ball off, he sure does keep some of the elite receivers from making plays. take gay out of the equation (make him a nickle where he belongs) and let burnett or Lewis fight for it...

and in the event Burnett and Lewis don't show marked improvement, wouldn't it make sense to have another fall-back option?

i'm all for giving your scenario a shot, but i also would like to add another promising young CB into the mix...just in case.
    3 options isn't enough for you (we have 3 in gay, lewis and burnett)? should we just keep adding guys until we run out? meanwhile if troy or clark go down we are left with 2 guys that are worthless and one guy that played for another team last year? we have a HUGE dropoff in talent at both safety spots when you look at the back ups. look at how bad our defense was when troy was out. Ryan was exposed. our backups were completely ineffectual. everyone looked bad. adn the problem there, is we have a guy who is amazing, but has a tendency to get dinged up (TP) and another guy approaching the twilight of his career in RC. we have three really young corners in Gay, lewis and burnett. why don't we see if they're not worthless before we discard them.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

3 options isn't enough for you (we have 3 in gay, lewis and burnett)? should we just keep adding guys until we run out? meanwhile if troy or clark go down we are left with 2 guys that are worthless and one guy that played for another team last year? we have a HUGE dropoff in talent at both safety spots when you look at the back ups. look at how bad our defense was when troy was out. Ryan was exposed. our backups were completely ineffectual. everyone looked bad. adn the problem there, is we have a guy who is amazing, but has a tendency to get dinged up (TP) and another guy approaching the twilight of his career in RC. we have three really young corners in Gay, lewis and burnett. why don't we see if they're not worthless before we discard them.

yes, we should also add a safety, don't disagree with you there as i'm not sold on Ryan Mundy at all and Will Allen is reportedly a better special-teamer than an actual safety.

i'm also not saying to discard Gay, Lewis and Burnett...but personally i have seen enough of them not to want to rely on them to fill that huge glaring need we have at CB opposite Ike Taylor. instead, i would like to draft a good CB in the first two rounds and let the best man win.

allow me to quote Albert Einstein here with his definition of "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Hall of Famer

and if the others do turn out, Ike isn't exactly a spring chicken and i believe his contract is up after this upcoming year (if not, then the next, IIRC)

whats wrong with having more then 1 good corner

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    and if the others do turn out, Ike isn't exactly a spring chicken and i believe his contract is up after this upcoming year (if not, then the next, IIRC)

Nothing is wrong with it. BUT our holes are bigger and require less of a REACH to fill. other than haden who do you take in this draft where we draft? IMO no body. but if we took thomas, it wouldn't be a reach and it would fill a need. and he'd probably be BPA. and you get to see if the kids can turn it up.
    now if Haden is there... take him. but don't reach for someone there just because it's a PERCEIVED need. I put CB as our #3 need after safety and LBer (I'm not sold on the Foote signing, he's not a long term solution and all but Timmons and wood are getting old.)
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Hall of Famer

if they believe the guy is good, who cares if you take him 10 spots before he's supposed to go.

how many teams that drafted around 7-8 a few years ago said to themselves, "we like revis, but taking him here is just too high"

they're probably regretting that move.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER

Nothing is wrong with it. BUT our holes are bigger and require less of a REACH to fill. other than haden who do you take in this draft where we draft? IMO no body. but if we took thomas, it wouldn't be a reach and it would fill a need. and he'd probably be BPA. and you get to see if the kids can turn it up.
    now if Haden is there... take him. but don't reach for someone there just because it's a PERCEIVED need. I put CB as our #3 need after safety and LBer (I'm not sold on the Foote signing, he's not a long term solution and all but Timmons and wood are getting old.)

sorry, but i don't agree that CB is our #3 need after safety and LBer. if we hadn't re-signed Ryan Clark and Larry Foote perhaps, but not now.

at safety we have Troy and Ryan Clark entrenched as starters...i will agree that we could still use a #3 safety (CB/FS Earl Thomas in Round 1, SS Myron Rolle in Round 5?).

at LB we have Harrison, Farrior, Timmons, Woodley, Fox and the newly-signed Larry Foote...I would be all for adding a pass rushing OLB here, but the first six spots are set.

at CB, who are our starters? last year's starters Willie Gay and Ike Taylor have contracts that expire after this season and every other CB on the roster has proven absolutely nothing so far...

this draft is very, very deep for CBs...please, please draft one of them early!

Pro Bowler

As far as need is concerned, none is any more important than the others & there are cases to be made for each. But if I had to choose based on the info provided, I would choose Strong Safety as the apparent lack of real talent to fill in for Troy is alarming. That isn't to minimize the the need of the other positions, it's just that our defense is so dependent on Troy & the way he throws himself around, that a suitable replacement must be found.

That being said, take the BPA & don't look back.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    As far as need is concerned, none is any more important than the others & there are cases to be made for each. But if I had to choose based on the info provided, I would choose Strong Safety as the apparent lack of real talent to fill in for Troy is alarming. That isn't to minimize the the need of the other positions, it's just that our defense is so dependent on Troy & the way he throws himself around, that a suitable replacement must be found.

That being said, take the BPA & don't look back.

so you think our biggest need is a strong safety to back up Troy all year long in case he gets hurt?

Starters are early round needs. Insurance policies at highly important positions ofr oft-injured superstars are middle round needs.