Thread: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Line

Legend

Re: Rate the need at this position - Defensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    DE-5
    NT-4

But, I think you have to consider that this draft has great depth at a lot of positions that won't necessarily be there next year (including 3-4 D linemen). So, if you get a shot at a future starter, you may have to pull the trigger even if you have a more pressing need that could be addressed. Also, a player like Cam Thomas or maybe Dan Williams who can play both NT and DE would give Tomlin one of those flexibility guys he likes and may end up saving a roster spot.

i like your idea of drafting a young DT that has the position flexibility to play both NT and DE and thus save a roster spot.

Dan Williams and Cam Thomas would have to be selected in the first two rounds, can anybody suggest a few more such players that can be drafted in Rounds 3 or later?
    After Dan and Cam, you have Oviedo's second favorite prospect (after Spiller), Torrell Troup from Central Florida. The following 4 guys will likely be taken on day two of the draft (rounds 2 or 3): Arkansas State's Alex Carrington, Cal's Tyson Alualu, Northwestern's Corey Wootten, and Texas' LaMarr Houston. If any of those guys were available at #82, they would be considered, I'm sure. After that, in the early portions of day three, Syracuse's Arthur Jones is intriguing (would be rated much higher if not for his knee injury) as well as the entire d-line from East Carolina (of all places): C.J. Wilson, Linval Joseph, and Jay Ross.
    Another late pick or UDFA candidate for NT is Martin Tevaseau, NT, 6'3", 320lbs UNLV. I have reported in other threads he is Frank "The Tank" Summers' cousin so maybe we have some insights that others don't.

I would love to see the Steelers get Troup. The guy is tenaciaous and has a high motor, alot like Chris Hoke in terms of style. Really improved himself at UCF dropping 20 lbs since he arrived and committing to fitness and conditioning.

Tomorrow is UCF's Pro Day so I plan to be sniffing around and looking to see if I see anyone familiar.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I like your analysis D Rock, but I'd move the NT need up a few notches. The success of our 3-4 begins with the NT. Casey was drafted in 2001 with the 19th pick and has anchored our D for a decade.

Before him, Joel Steed was drafted in the third round in 1992 and held down the position until our first rounder stepped in. Looking back, there was not much demand for a 3-4 NT in 1992 so we had the luxury of grabbing later round prospects at positions like NT and undersized outside LBs who were considered too small to play LB in the NFL.

For almost 20 years we have had solid anchors manning this position. We now face a time when several teams have recently decided to go to the 3-4 and are looking for the next Casey Hampton. IMO it is possible to find a late rounder who will become that, but we need to find him now to figure out if he can become the NT of the future. Even a top round pick will need time for evaluation. As much as Hoke has brought stability and depth to the position, I think that at 33 he is a must sacrifice if we can land an early round NT prospect.

My NT rating: 7

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    I'm pimpin' Linval Joseph big time & some other later round guys I think would be interesting guys to bring in are Al Woods (LSU), Aleric Mullins (UNC) & Brandon Deaderic (Alabama).
    Joseph is a good possible 3-4 DE, but he is too tall and has very skinny legs for NT. I think he'd be worth a look.

Al Woods is plain terrible. He played on a very talented defense and got pushed around all year long. He is not stout against the run and his effort is sketchy. My son is an LSU fan and I watched him play plenty. Avoid at all costs. He does have talent, but tapping into to that will be a problem because his work effort is weak.

Deadrick may go in the middle rounds because he was successful playing DE in a 3-4 defense in college (that is rare). He is not a lights out player, but he did his job well.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    I like your analysis D Rock, but I'd move the NT need up a few notches. The success of our 3-4 begins with the NT. Casey was drafted in 2001 with the 19th pick and has anchored our D for a decade.

Before him, Joel Steed was drafted in the third round in 1992 and held down the position until our first rounder stepped in. Looking back, there was not much demand for a 3-4 NT in 1992 so we had the luxury of grabbing later round prospects at positions like NT and undersized outside LBs who were considered too small to play LB in the NFL.

For almost 20 years we have had solid anchors manning this position. We now face a time when several teams have recently decided to go to the 3-4 and are looking for the next Casey Hampton. IMO it is possible to find a late rounder who will become that, but we need to find him now to figure out if he can become the NT of the future. Even a top round pick will need time for evaluation. As much as Hoke has brought stability and depth to the position, I think that at 33 he is a must sacrifice if we can land an early round NT prospect.

Thanks, and I like you analysis too. If they hadn't resigned Hampton I would have been full throttle for them to draft Dan Williams and have him split time with Hoke to find out if he will be the man or not. That will probably be where I'm at again next year too...the Hampton deal just bought them one extra year of being able to wait before they draft a NT in my opinion.

[quote=D Rock]
    Quote Originally Posted by "steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3fs43x8k

Thanks, and I like you analysis too. If they hadn't resigned Hampton I would have been full throttle for them to draft Dan Williams and have him split time with Hoke to find out if he will be the man or not. That will probably be where I'm at again next year too...the Hampton deal just bought them one extra year of being able to wait before they draft a NT in my opinion.[/quote:3fs43x8k]

I agree that the Hampton signing buys us time, but not time before drafting one. We now have the time before a NT gets thrown into the fire. It just means that we are not going to have to learn about a guy like Williams while he is battling on the field on Sundays - we will find out about him during the week. It also allows our heir apparent to learn from Casey.

If we don't draft the replacement this year then I'd put the need at a 9 for next year.

Steelers | Scheduled to meet with McClellan

Thu, 25 Mar 2010

Justin VanFulpen, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are scheduled to meet with Marshall DE Albert McClellan Wednesday, March 31.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#634746#ixzz0jDHyE2J8

i think we should pick up this free-agent NT to anchor our line for years to come - and yes she is my girlfriend...