Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the Case for Drafting more OL

Hall of Famer

Re: Making the Case for Drafting more OL

I don't know Oviedo. When Stapleton went down, we did not have an experienced RG. Essex was hardly "entrenched" in the position. Maybe the reason was more that Urbik wasn't ready last year (at least I hope so). Maybe the team didn't give him a fair shake.

If the Steelers are talking to Iupati, I'd have to think that they are not super high on Urbik. I hope Urbik pans out after they spent a third rounder on him. But, if they are going for more athletic linemen, Urbik may not be the guy.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

one of the best articles i have read in awhile, mahalo for posting!

i like the idea of John Jerry in Round 3 better than drafting Iupati in Round 1 though...

John Jerry (40 – 5.15, shuttle – 4.69, BJ – 8.05)

Jerry performed better than Iupati at almost the same weight (328lbs). His shuttle and 40 times are near elite given his size, and if he can keep his weight under control he could become a great pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by DHSF
    The Steelers seem to be good at drafting for value, but there comes a time when a position has been ignored for a long time that you have to just take the best player at a particular position. I think the time has come that the Steelers need to take 2 OL in rounds 1-3, even if they have to move up to get their guy. 2 years ago there was a run on OL in the rounds before the Steelers got to pick, so they would have had to make a big reach to draft OL. Frankly I'm glad they took Mendenhall. Last year the BPA was Ziggy Hood, and we needed DL help also, so I can't fault them for that pick either. Lets hope the draft doesn't go down like this again this year (where all the legit 1st round OL are gone when we pick and no one wants to trade picks).
    I agree. They have been just getting by with average talent on the line at best. None of us like the idea of drafting o-linemen, but I think it has become a necessity. If Iupati is really rated that high as an OG, then pick him. Trent Williams is an athletic freak, but I guess we have Colon at RG. We need to get a better from the center to the right, and Iupati appears to be a nice start. I have doubts about Urbik, and even if he proves capable of starting, he is just more of the same of what we already have. I'd like to see a guy like Iupati putting Ray Ray on him bad word next year.
    Urbik was being discussed last season as one of the best interior linemen in the draft just like all the talk about the guys this year. Urbik's only problem was he went to a team with entrenched starters and experienced players. It doesn't mean he wasn't a good pick nor does it mean he won't be a successful starter in the future.

Everyone points to Foster playing and Urbik not. Don't forget that Foster was a college OT and while he played Guard, he had more experience on gameday to move to OT if there was an in game injury. I think that was a very big factor on why he was active. We did not dress another OT for back up so it was him and Essex. Foster played because he had positional flexibility plus he was a steal as an UDFA. Still doesn't mean Urbik won't be good.
    excellent point. It's not always simply the best player that 'gets a hat' on gamedays. Its the best player capable of filling a need.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I don't know Oviedo. When Stapleton went down, we did not have an experienced RG. Essex was hardly "entrenched" in the position. Maybe the reason was more that Urbik wasn't ready last year (at least I hope so). Maybe the team didn't give him a fair shake.

If the Steelers are talking to Iupati, I'd have to think that they are not super high on Urbik. I hope Urbik pans out after they spent a third rounder on him. But, if they are going for more athletic linemen, Urbik may not be the guy.
    I agree -- I'd hardly call Essex "entrenched." Many of us, me included, hoped that Urbik would overtake Essex for the staring RG spot before the end of the year.

Like with Sweed, I'll also hold out hope for Urbik. That said, if the Steelers determine that Iupati can be an elite guard, I'd love to add him into the fold. I'd really like to see the Steelers add somebody that can blow people off the ball.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Like with Sweed, I'll also hold out hope for Urbik. That said, if the Steelers determine that Iupati can be an elite guard, I'd love to add him into the fold. I'd really like to see the Steelers add somebody that can blow people off the ball.
    If the RG can be filled from within the roster, then great. But we have no elite talent on our line, period. It shows when we simply can't run the ball when we need to. Every team in our division has a better O-line than us. We need guys that can dominate. Most of those types are not found in the third round and later, which is what we have. We have a bunch of "serviceable" players. Starks and Kemo are good enough. I think the entire right side of our line needs upgraded and I don't feel that any of the answers are on our current roster. If the Steelers have a chance to add an elite player at G, T or C, they need to do it, regardless of when and in what round they drafted Urbik.

hey everybody, our former #1 draft choice OG Kendoll "The Human Turnstile" Simmons is available again...

it's Kendall Simmons that makes me cringe when mention is made of drafting an OG in the first round...whenever that thought happens i immediately force myself to think of Alan Faneca and i feel better about it.

Bills | Will not re-sign McKinney or Simmons

Tue, 23 Mar 2010

Allen Wilson, of The Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix said the team has no plans to re-sign unrestricted free-agent OG Seth McKinney and OG Kendall Simmons.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#634379#ixzz0j2RXKVSh

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

All well & good that Ramon Foster could play both OG & OT, therefore he dresses for game day, but...

Urbik was passed up 3 times last season for even a 'shot' at playing time at his preferred position- OG. Essex, a tackle, beat him to RG. Then Legursky, a Center, beat him to LG, and then Foster, an undrafted rookie OT beat him to LG.

Surely, at that point, it's not about position flexibility, but more about putting the best 5 guys on the field?

And using the theory that Foster played because he can play OT doesn't wash necessarily- Urbik also played RT at college, so he had position flexibility too.

Put simply- Foster outplayed him.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

If the Steelers were to grab Iupati in Round 1, Tennant in Round 2 & a CB like Amari Spievey in Round 3, that would be a good draft class.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    All well & good that Ramon Foster could play both OG & OT, therefore he dresses for game day, but...

Urbik was passed up 3 times last season for even a 'shot' at playing time at his preferred position- OG. Essex, a tackle, beat him to RG. Then Legursky, a Center, beat him to LG, and then Foster, an undrafted rookie OT beat him to LG.

Surely, at that point, it's not about position flexibility, but more about putting the best 5 guys on the field?

And using the theory that Foster played because he can play OT doesn't wash necessarily- Urbik also played RT at college, so he had position flexibility too.

Put simply- Foster outplayed him.

I agree with you Chadman, indications very early out of camp were that Urbik was struggling badly. Like Bruce Davis, Urbik may only have been kept because he was a 3rd round draft choice. Had Ramon Foster as an UDFA played like Urbik did in pre-season Foster undoubtedly would have gotten cut.

However, Urbik is a very hard worker and i still have high hopes for him. maybe he'll stay at RG, maybe he'll get moved to center but either way...he is going to have to start showing the Steelers some improvement very soon.

I for one, am all in favor of developing a dominate physical line. So far the best move has already been made by Tomlin by getting rid of Larry Zaurlin ( I am horrible with names, the ex OL coach).

Let's now see how the new OL COACH evaluates and develops the talent we already have...rumour has it he did well in Buffalo considering all the rookies that he plugged in and a line that devistated by injuries/trades.

May be sees Colon as a Guard, like some on here say is his best position, Urbick as a center or develops him to what we expect at Guard. Maybe retries the Essex project at center again.

Here are some options, where we can go to strengthen our OL.

1) Draft a guard such as Iupati.
    Starks-Kemo-Hart.-Iupati-Colon

2) Draft a center such as Pauzy(sp) the one from FL
    Starks-Kemo-Pau.-Essex-Colon

3) Draft a tackle, lots of talent that might drop to us in the 1st.
    Starks-Kemo-Hart.-Colon/Essex/Urbick- DRAFT OT

Now lets se which way we go.

GO STEELERS!!!