Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comp picks announced

Re: Comp picks announced

OK, can anyone please explain to this ignorant fan what a comp pick is, etc.?

Uh, what I mean is, I got this friend see, and he was wondering what a comp pick was, and I was just wondering what you guys would tell him, not that I don't know myself, but I was just wondering what you guys would say ...

Thanks

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    The Steelers 2, 3, and 5 could potentially be enough to get them into the back end of the first round. I can't ever remember the Steelers wheeling and dealing to get a second 1st rounder, but I also don't remember them ever being this active in FA.

And with a potential lockout next year, maybe they want to get a second elite player to have gotten some game time in before the 2012 season. I know there's still a 2011 draft, but without a season to play and show what they got...there's gonna be a lot of doubt heading into 2012 unless some guys can prove this season they are capable players.

in a draft this deep, i would rather have the 2, 3 and the 5.

this is the year to trade down (if you can find someone who wants to trade up), this is one of the best draft classes we've had in a long, long time...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

Uh, what I mean is, I got this friend see, and he was wondering what a comp pick was, and I was just wondering what you guys would tell him, not that I don't know myself, but I was just wondering what you guys would say ...

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Dra...ensatory_picks

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.
    We got two 5th round comp picks because Bryant McFadden signed a deal for $4.75 million per season with Arizona and Nate Washington signed a deal for $4.47 million per year from Tennessee, plus a 7th round comp pick because Byron Leftwich a $2 million per year deal with Tampa. The only free agents that we signed last off-season were Shaun McDonald and Keiwan Ratliff, and both were minimal deals that did not qualify for the compensatory formula.

Next year, we should not get any comp picks after signing so many guys in free agency this off-season (I could see us trading away a pick or two this year for a pick or two next year, and teams tend to be willing to give up a pick in a round earlier the following season). This happens all the time. Last year, the Panthers wanted Everette Brown in round 2, so they gave San Francisco their 1st round pick this year. Last year, the Broncos wanted Alphonso Smith in round 2, so they gave Seattle their 1st round pick this year. That is why the Niners and Seahawks both have two early first round picks this year. Last year, the Jaguars wanted Derek Cox in round 3, so they gave New England their 2nd round pick this year. Last year, the Titans wanted Jared Cook in round 3, so they gave New England their 2nd round pick this year. That is why New England has three 2nd round picks this year. I'd take advantage of the fact that we have 10 picks this year (and will only have 7 next year since we won't be getting any comp picks next year) and maybe try to trade our 4th this year for a 3rd next year (or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Dra...ensatory_picks

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.
    We got two 5th round comp picks because Bryant McFadden signed a deal for $4.75 million per season with Arizona and Nate Washington signed a deal for $4.47 million per year from Tennessee, plus a 7th round comp pick because Byron Leftwich a $2 million per year deal with Tampa. The only free agents that we signed last off-season were Shaun McDonald and Keiwan Ratliff, and both were minimal deals that did not qualify for the compensatory formula.

Next year, we should not get any comp picks after signing so many guys in free agency this off-season (I could see us trading away a pick or two this year for a pick or two next year, and teams tend to be willing to give up a pick in a round earlier the following season). This happens all the time. Last year, the Panthers wanted Everette Brown in round 2, so they gave San Francisco their 1st round pick this year. Last year, the Broncos wanted Alphonso Smith in round 2, so they gave Seattle their 1st round pick this year. That is why the Niners and Seahawks both have two early first round picks this year. Last year, the Jaguars wanted Derek Cox in round 3, so they gave New England their 2nd round pick this year. Last year, the Titans wanted Jared Cook in round 3, so they gave New England their 2nd round pick this year. That is why New England has three 2nd round picks this year. I'd take advantage of the fact that we have 10 picks this year (and will only have 7 next year since we won't be getting any comp picks next year) and maybe try to trade our 4th this year for a 3rd next year (or something like that).

Thanks, Ruth, completely helpful reply, I appreciate it.

I have no idea how I got to this stage of life and had never heard of comps before.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Thanks

This wouldn't happen to be the same friend who got that strange rash on the nether regions during college?