Goodell Plans to Meet With Roethlisberger
Goodell planning to meet with Roethlisberger about QB's off-field problems

By BARRY WILNER AP Football Writer
ORLANDO, Fla. March 22, 2010 (AP) The Associated Press

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he plans to meet with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger about the star's off-field problems.

Goodell already has spoken with team owners about Roethlisberger, who is accused of assaulting a 20-year-old college student in a Georgia nightclub on March 5. Roethlisberger's attorney says the quarterback committed no crime.

Goodell says the league "takes this issue very seriously," and that he is "concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position."

Roethlisberger also is being sued by a woman who claims he raped her in 2008 at a Lake Tahoe hotel. He denies those allegations and has asked for counter-damages.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
[url]http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=10171282[/url]

Goodell addresses latest Roethlisberger case
Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2010 1:57 PM ET

In his first public comments regarding the sexual assault allegations made against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he'll be meeting with Roethlisberger "at the appropriate time."

Goodell prefaced this remark with an ominous comment regarding the overall situation: "The most important thing is we take the issue seriously. We are concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position."

In other words, regardless of whether Roethlisberger is charged, the fact that he now has been twice accused of sexual assault has gotten the league's attention.

It makes sense. Goodell addressed the problem of repeat allegations in January 2009, prior to Super Bowl XLIII. "You can have false accusations once, maybe twice," Goodell said in reference to former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress. "When you start getting to multiple [arrests], you're putting yourself in the wrong position, you're making the wrong decisions in the wrong places. At that point in time, you're reflecting poorly on the NFL itself, your teammates."

So, basically, Roethlisberger is running out of chances. And one more accusation -- true or false -- could be enough to dramatically impact his career in a negative way.
[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/goodell-addresses-latest-roethlisberger-case/?related=1[/url]

Goodell plans to meet with Roethlisberger
Steelers quarterback has been accused of sexual assault

Aaron Wilson
March 22, 2010, 02:34 PM EST

ORLANDO, Fla. -- In the wake of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger being accused of sexually assaulting a Georgia woman, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants to meet with the NFL star.

In a stern tone of voice, Goodell made it abundantly clear how he feels about Roethlisberger being under investigation for another alleged sex crime.

"The most important thing is we take the issue very seriously," Goodell said today at the NFL annual meetings. "We are concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position. I have spoken to the Steelers and Art Rooney directly about it. At the appropriate time, I will be meeting with Ben."

Goodell's concerns are shared by the Steelers organization.

According to league sources, the Steelers are deeply worried and annoyed by this latest issue surrounding Roethlisberger.

And Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made that point during an interview Saturday with NFL Network.

"I'm highly concerned for our franchise and for Ben personally," Tomlin said. "My concerns are many, but I think at this time it's kind of appropriate to watch these things and let these things run their course," Tomlin said. "I think it would be inappropriate for me to have strong feelings one way or another with the investigation being ongoing and so forth. Like everyone else, you watch these things unfold."

Police are investigating whether Roethlisberger assaulted a 20-year-old woman in Milledgeville, Ga.

No charges have been filed against him and his lawyer has denied the woman's accusations.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger is also facing a civil lawsuit in Nevada regarding an alleged sexual assault from two years ago. A VIP hostess at a Lake Tahoe resort accused Roethlisberger of assaulting her after having her come to his room to fix his television.
[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Goodell-plans-to-meet-with-Roethlisberger.html[/url]