Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers reject Reed's 5 year 22 Million Proposal

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers reject Reed's 5 year 22 Million Proposal

WTF this guys is nuts:

Reed backs off
    With prospects dim on a long-term deal, and Pittsburgh's offseason program beginning this week, franchise kicker Jeff Reed in recent days seriously considered signing his one-year tender with the Steelers for $2.814 million. But Steelers brass -- which rejected a five-year, $22 million proposal from Reed and agent Don Henderson -- declined to agree to a stipulation that the club wouldn't use the franchise tag again on the kicker next spring. So for now at least, Reed backed off and will work out on his own. However, don't discount the possibility that Reed, the NFL's most accurate kicker over the past three years (88.5 percent success rate), eventually signs the qualifying offer.
    One sticking point in negotiations is that the Steelers continue to point out Reed's touchbacks (three), kickoff average (59.3 yards) and average return (24.3 yards) in 2009 were all his worst since a 2002 season in which he appeared in only six games. And the club surrendered a horrendous four kickoff returns for scores. But on three of the four returns, Reed averaged 67.0 yards (to the 3-yard line) and put the ball outside the numbers with adequate hang time. The Steelers, alas, had one of the worst coverage units in the league, which helps explain why Al Everest replaced Bob Ligashesky as special teams coach, and why the club, which is usually dormant at this point in free agency, has already signed safety Will Allen and wide receiver Arnaz Battle, both strong special-teams players.

[url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5008956"]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... id=5008956[/url]
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers reject Reed's 5 year 22 Million Proposal

Can't believe the Steelers knocked that back....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Nate Wiggins CB
    2. Ricky Pearsall WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Backup

User Info Menu

I guess they were going after Janikowski money. He signed for 4 years 16 mil and 9 mil guaranteed. I won't knock Reed on making kicks (he's probably a little better) but Janikowski also had 17 touchbacks last year to to Reed's three. As for attempting to make tackles on kickoffs, the winner is...

Legend

User Info Menu

Unbelievable, no way in the world Reed is worth 22 million. He will be fortunate to get some where in the range of a 5 year 10 million dollar deal. At least that is a little more reasonable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanx for posting it..........

Crazy numbers for a kicker who had a mediocre year last season... I'm still somewhat confuesed at to the offer/rejection... I guess this was to "remove" the tag, or avoid it next season?.... WTF?!

I like Reed and have been one of his few supporters on other sites... But this just confuses me.

Legend

User Info Menu

why would the Steelers ever consider such a ludicrous contract proposal when we can just franchise Reed again next year?

Reed's leg strength isn't going to get better as he gets older, i see very little incentive for the Steelers to lock Reed in long term...especially with his off-the-field issues.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jeff's been a good kicker for us...but not 4mil per good. no way.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reed is an idiot actually putting forth a proposal like that. With the off field baggage he carries he isn't going to get top dollar.

4 yrs/$15M is about the max he deserves with a personal conduct clause in the contract.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Reed is an idiot actually putting forth a proposal like that. With the off field baggage he carries he isn't going to get top dollar.

4 yrs/$15M is about the max he deserves with a personal conduct clause in the contract.
    I was thinking something in the 5 years/$17 million range, but either way, Reed simply isn't worth Janikowski money. Not only are there the off-field issues, there is also the disparity in touchbacks. Reed may be more reliable, but Janikowski has more range, and is much better on kickoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

We could franchise him for the next 5 years for less money without any risks.

Reed and his agent must have been drinking when they put the proposal together.