Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Fever Mock Draft: we take CB/FS Earl Thomas

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers Fever Mock Draft: we take CB/FS Earl Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    We can go on forever with the arguments. Regardless of where the Steelers see him, he still is a 1st round talent at S. It is still a position of need for the Steelers
    Absolutely no argument there. Thomas is an exceptional FS talent. Chadman just has concerns if he is being drafted #18 overall to play CB.

If drafted to play FS, no argument at all.
    You know Chadman, this is all pure specualtion. Teams are working him at CB. His position tab has changed on many sites. The Steelers are bringing him in for a workout too. I wish I could see the workout and how they invision him if he is a Steeler. Maybe, they only see him as a S...We won't know unless we draft him. If they do, the conversation will build momentum through the off season.

I agree with many football minds who say Thomas has the skills to make the transition. There is the same amount that says he doesn't. I can see your concern about trying to convert him. I'm ok either way because he still has value at #18 if he struggles and they move him back to FS. I have the same concern with Iupati as you have with Thomas so I could ubderstand. But, we don't know what the Steelers are thinking. They say he is their #1 G, but he really is the only #1 G in this draft. He has the build & athletic abilty to move to T, but we can only speculate where the Steelers see him. If they only see him as a G and are seriously considering picking him...It means 1 of 2 things about Urbik. They are "writing off Urbik" as a future starter at G or the rumors about him moving to C are true. I'm hoping the C rumors are true.

I'm sure we will have more conversations about these 2 in the near future. It could all be smoke, but it looks like Thomas or Iupati are targets. My #1 guy was Spoon but it appears he will be off the board. Even if he isn't, I don't see it now with Foote. I believe the Steelers will draft an OLB in the 1st three rounds. Everything is beginning to point to Thomas or Iupati. Things could change over the next month but that is where I would put the money right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Sooooo,......draft an undersized poor tackling player (Thomas) in the top half of the first round to play a position that he has never played (CB),...and expect him to excel at said position at the PROFESSIONAL level ?

Hey,..that has worked out so very well for us with Huey Timmons,...why not !

In all seriousness though,....."position flexibilty" usually denotes that a guy is a jack of a few trades whom is a master of none.

Bottom line,..if the F/O is looking for a CB in the first,....they should in fact draft someone whom not only ACTUALLY played the position, but was exceptionally productive at said position against their collegiate peers.
    5 foot 10 208 isn't a midget. I believe that's exactly how big Troy is. Maybe we shouldn't have drafted him either. It's not like Troy never overplayed a tackle either...he has certainly wiffed and been run over. It's happened to the best of DBs. Thomas tackles very well and is elite in coverage. If he is here I have to believe we take him.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    When did Earl Thomas ever play CB?

Does the idea he could be drafted to play CB not concern anyone? Chadman has read that he has terrificstraight line speed, but hasn't heard any super-positive talk about his ability to stay with WR's, or turn & run with a WR one-on-one.

And yet there are so many of you convinced that this guy could be the answer to our CB woes?

Chadman would draft Thomas simpy to be a FS. If the Steelers want a CB- go get a CB. Jerome Murphy in Round 2 seems quite intriguing.
    Cornerback of last resort, free safety baby, draft Earl at 1.18. Besides, Heath needs another Earl on the team.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Sooooo,......draft an undersized poor tackling player (Thomas) in the top half of the first round to play a position that he has never played (CB),...and expect him to excel at said position at the PROFESSIONAL level ?

In all seriousness though,....."position flexibilty" usually denotes that a guy is a jack of a few trades whom is a master of none.

Bottom line,..if the F/O is looking for a CB in the first,....they should in fact draft someone whom not only ACTUALLY played the position, but was exceptionally productive at said position against their collegiate peers.
    5 foot 10 208 isn't a midget. I believe that's exactly how big Troy is. Maybe we shouldn't have drafted him either. It's not like Troy never overplayed a tackle either...he has certainly wiffed and been run over. It's happened to the best of DBs. Thomas tackles very well and is elite in coverage. If he is here I have to believe we take him.
    The criticism of Thomas was just window dressing to give him a reason to post in this thread his same old rehashed factless criticism of Timmons and therefore indirectly Tomlin. He has probably never watched Thomas play.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm sure if Tomlin sees Thomas is as "ordinary as a bowl of grits", we are certain to draft him, right Czar?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

It's like this Shawn, contrary to what the Floridian homie Oviedo would like to make anyone else believe,...i have watched Thomas play a considerable amount of football.

And i am simply stating facts,...his (Thomas) game weight of 190-195 pounds at 5'10 is indeed on the small side for a safety. There is no comparison at all to Troy whom is a very stout and unusually strong natural 215-220 or so with explosive core strength.

Is Thomas small for a corner?,....not at all. But the key here is,...he is not a CORNERBACK.

Again, if you want a CB, an OLB, ILB, S, or otherwise,.....don't get try to get "cute". Just draft the best player available at the particular position that not only fills the need,..but also a player whom has ACTUALLY played the position successfully on the collegiate level at the very least.

Oh,.. and part of keeping it simple is also being certain that said player actually fits your particular system.(be it a 3-4 or 4-3)

It's not rocket science.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I'm sure if Tomlin sees Thomas is as "ordinary as a bowl of grits", we are certain to draft him, right Czar?

Fair to say NW,...but hey,...what can we do but sit back and enjoy the very "ordinariness" in terms of production from any pro football player that one could equate with a "Bowl of Grits". Though,..admittedly i have yet to come to terms with exactly what the aforementioned grits have to do with football at all on any level ?

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Fair to say NW,...but hey,...what can we do but sit back and enjoy the very "ordinariness" in terms of production from any pro football player that one could equate with a "Bowl of Grits". Though,..admittedly i have yet to come to terms with exactly what the aforementioned grits have to do with football at all on any level ?

probably toughness...you gotta be tough to play football and it's very tough to finish a whole bowl of grits.

Unusual Southern Foods - Grits
    Southerners Enjoy Ground Corn Grits for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner

Mar 29, 2008 Cyndi Allison

Grits are popular in the South, and grits are gaining ground in other parts of the country. Grits are a good item to add to your pantry. Inexpensive and tasty.

A group of kids from the South traveled up north for the national 4-H convention. One of the boys wanted grits with his breakfast, but he had heard that northerners weren’t big on grits. Being quite polite, as is typical of those of the Southern persuasion, he inquired, “Do you serve grits here?” His very accommodating northern waitress assured him, “Oh yes. We serve anyone.”

Grits are now being touted as upscale with some of the gourmet restaurants offering this Southern staple as well as wilted salads (lettuce soaked in bacon grease) and charging an “arm and a leg” as they say in the South. This doesn’t put grits on the gastronomic map, but it is helping spread the grits across the country.

What Are Grits?
    This is a common question and understandable. Grits look kind of like coarse, white sand, and the name doesn’t provide many clues either. It’s little wonder that those from outside the South might wonder what the heck grits really are.

The non-technical answer is that grits are ground corn. It’s not quite that simple. The hard hull is removed. Then, the inner part of the corn is processed (mashed and dried). The end result is grits – or little white corn granules.

Read more at Suite101: Unusual Southern Foods - Grits: Southerners Enjoy Ground Corn Grits for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner [url="http://southerncuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/unusual_southern_foods_grits#ixzz0iwQQIuMD"]http://southerncuisine.suite101.com/art ... z0iwQQIuMD[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So does that mean that grits are NOT ordinary? Because I think that must be the meaning Tomlin is trying to relate to. Funny, because when I first heard Tomlin say that I thought that grits would be considered very ordinary, but I guess they aren't? I don't know because I live in the northwest. The first time I ever heard of a grit was in My Cousin Vinny!

Czar, I have to give you some slack though, I thought you would be all over Foote's signing, coming back to make up for the mistake of drafting Timmons as his replacement.

Starter

User Info Menu

So does that mean that grits are NOT ordinary? Because I think that must be the meaning Tomlin is trying to relate to. Funny, because when I first heard Tomlin say that I thought that grits would be considered very ordinary, but I guess they aren't? I don't know because I live in the northwest. The first time I ever heard of a grit was in My Cousin Vinny!

Czar, I have to give you some slack though, I thought you would be all over Foote's signing, coming back to make up for the mistake of drafting Timmons as his replacement.
    I am originally from Los Angeles NW,.. though i now reside in Atlanta. And i am now quite familiar with what a Grit is at this point. :P Though as i said before,...from my personal experience with the game of football i still don't get the comparison.

In regards to me commenting on Foote,..i don't have to,.. as my predictions regarding the impact or (lack thereof) that Timmons would have on this team have been nearly spot on since he was drafted. (his fans can hate that until the end of time,...but it is indeed truth )

Therefore the return of the solid actual ILB in Foote whom knows this system in his sleep is no surprise to me at all. (Though he will never be confused with Dick Butkus)

I guess Potsie is now the scapegoat in order to keep coming up with excuses.

But i digress as this thread is indeed about Thomas. Stand up young man, talented football player,..but not an NFL Cornerback IMO.

Again,.. if Tomlin/Colbert indeed want a CB in the first they should take Haden or Kyle Wilson (whom i feel is far closer to Haden than people realize) and "stop playing".