Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No FA love for Parker

Re: No FA love for Parker

I don't understand the revisionist history when it comes to Parker. He'd make a fine back up to Mendenhall at this point. I hope he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    I don't understand the revisionist history when it comes to Parker. He'd make a fine back up to Mendenhall at this point. I hope he comes back.
    I really wouldn't be shocked to see Willie back in a Steeler uniform after all is said and done.

Pro Bowler

It's time to move on...besides, Parker is not happy about the way he was (or not used) last season, so I doubt he'll be coming back.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Revisionist history? Am I making something up? Please elaborate. WP breaking off some big runs in 2005 do not translate to the 2010 version of WP. We can agree to disagree about the traits important in a running back but you can't disagree with the fact that he hasn't been remotely productive in 2 years. I don't see how he will help our red zone woes or help us control the ball late in games. Those are our issues...and Parker's "skill set" are not condusive to helping in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Revisionist history? Am I making something up? Please elaborate. WP breaking off some big runs in 2005 do not translate to the 2010 version of WP. We can agree to disagree about the traits important in a running back but you can't disagree with the fact that he hasn't been remotely productive in 2 years. I don't see how he will help our red zone woes or help us control the ball late in games. Those are our issues...and Parker's "skill set" are not condusive to helping in those areas.
    I'm referring to the comments about him not being able to break tackles, not having any vision and not being able to catch the ball.

While his is no Mike Alstott, there are plenty of highlights of Parker breaking tackles. While he is no Barry Sanders, there are plenty of highlights of Parker cutting back with nothing there and making something out of it.

Re: Catching passes - Mendenhall had 25 receptions last season. Parker had 23 in 2007. The Steelers simply don't throw the ball to the RB that often. They haven't for a long time. Perhaps that will change? Who's to say. But history shows the Steelers just haven't thrown to the RB all that much for many years.

Pro Bowler

Sweed, a head case bust, gets more love on this board then Parker.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Sweed, a head case bust, gets more love on this board then Parker.
    but you have to remember Sweed has huge upside and he was a second rounder. He gets more love then Timmons as well on here.

Parker was a great back for a couple of seasons and was instrumental in attaining "one for the thumb."... but he's not been productive in years. I don't think he can be viable in what we're trying to accomplish.... maybe as a change of pace back, but nothing more. He can't catch, he can't bash the line between the tackles and from my recollection, he needs a running head start and a lead blocker to the outside to showcase his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I'm referring to the comments about him not being able to break tackles, not having any vision and not being able to catch the ball.

While his is no Mike Alstott, there are plenty of highlights of Parker breaking tackles. While he is no Barry Sanders, there are plenty of highlights of Parker cutting back with nothing there and making something out of it.

Re: Catching passes - Mendenhall had 25 receptions last season. Parker had 23 in 2007. The Steelers simply don't throw the ball to the RB that often. They haven't for a long time. Perhaps that will change? Who's to say. But history shows the Steelers just haven't thrown to the RB all that much for many years.
    Ehh I think you are stretching a bit. First, there was an article speaking about Parker's hands and his inability to turn and catch a ball properly. This was a couple years back. There was even a comment from one of the coaches about it. I wish I had a link but like I said it was a couple years ago. He has had only two seasons where he broke 20 receptions and only 3 where he broke 150 yards. Mendenhall last season caught 25 balls for 260+ yards...not bad for his first starting season. But, I expect more from him in that area this season.

As for power well like I said before...in 2005 during the playoffs...Parker ran 45% of the time for one yard or less. While I'm not saying he was a porcelin doll...he certainly isn't known for being a tough between the tackles runner. He has some ability to break tackles but certainly doesn't do so consistantly enough to move sticks.

As for vision...I don't think it's a coincidence that Parker ran his best behind a FB who picked his holes for him. For his first two seasons I watched him miss hole after hole to run up the back side of one of his linemen. In Parkers good playing years he was a threat...but only as a speed back...one dimensional speed back.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAsian
    Parker was a great back for a couple of seasons and was instrumental in attaining "one for the thumb."... but he's not been productive in years. I don't think he can be viable in what we're trying to accomplish.... maybe as a change of pace back, but nothing more. He can't catch, he can't bash the line between the tackles and from my recollection, he needs a running head start and a lead blocker to the outside to showcase his talent.
    $$$