Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No FA love for Parker

No FA love for Parker

So what does the lack of interest tell us Steeler fans? I mean teams are even going out of their way to deny interest in Parker. http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6809

Most telling this statement by the Bucs...

On Wednesday, the high-ranking Bucs official attempted to deny any interest in Parker, telling PewterReport.com, "We have never reached out in any capacity to Willie Parker."

This coming from a team who ranked 23rd in rushing.

So, what should we derive from this...

1) NFL teams are smarter than many Steeler fans.
    2) Parker's game is mad whack.
    3) Teams don't want a one trick pony who lost his one trick.
    4) No team will ever start Parker barring injury.
    5) That being a "good guy" and a "team player" doesn't get you far in the NFL.

My prediction?

Parker comes back to the Burgh...tail tucked realizing we were not treating him unfairly. Hopefully, he can totally heal...gain that speed back...and we can use him sporatically late in games against tired Ds.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Re: No FA love for Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    So what does the lack of interest tell us Steeler fans? I mean teams are even going out of their way to deny interest in Parker. http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6809

On Wednesday, the high-ranking Bucs official attempted to deny any interest in Parker, telling PewterReport.com, "We have never reached out in any capacity to Willie Parker."

My prediction?

Parker comes back to the Burgh...tail tucked realizing we were not treating him unfairly. Hopefully, he can totally heal...gain that speed back...and we can use him sporatically late in games against tired Ds.

re-signing Willie would save us a draft choice, he could still be effective in a back-up role.

how about a 2 years, $3.5 million contract and we'll even get a blocking FB for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

My prediction?

re-signing Willie would save us a draft choice, he could still be effective in a back-up role.

how about a 2 years, $3.5 million contract and we'll even get a blocking FB for you.
    I'm not crazy about bringing Parker back because I think we need a short yardage back. But, I would bring him back for vet minimum and depth. I also think he runs better with a chip on his shoulder from the bench. But, I still want Gerhart.
    2014 NFL Draft

My prediction he'll sign a low ball offer with another team "to prove" that he still has it. He'll end up getting cut year 2 for some late round draft pick and then try to come back to the Steelers only to realize that we drafted a replacement for him already...sad stuff actually. I respect everything this guy did for us especially in SB XL...those were the days when you knew that if he had any bit of crease he was gone all the way.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

My prediction?

A one-cut runner with not alot of "vision" benefits greatly from a lead blocker.
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy

My prediction?

A one-cut runner with not alot of "vision" benefits greatly from a lead blocker.
    I was really surprised Shanahan didn't sign him in DC-

I guess the lack of pass catching ability really hurt him.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Got no problem bringing Parker back as the #2. Steelers will still need a short yardage back, but they could then leave that until a Charles Scott type is available (Round 5ish) instead of drafting a RB early. Parker is a fine back-up, so long as the OL can block effectively.

Hmm......if only the Steelers had a good run blocking RG......
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

What some here don't realize is Parker is after a starters job and only recently tucked his tail for a back-up role possibilty with the Rams. Parker, when healthy, is one of the better backs in the league. I hope we can get him at a fair price.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Parker, when healthy, is one of the better backs in the league.
    The problem is that he has not PROVEN that fact over the last year...

... Yes, he had great numbers (some can be disputed, and some cannot) before he had the major injury... But the fact that he did not come out and prove his "healthiness" or his ability to do the same thing has hurt him in the eyes of those making the contract decisions.

Can he do it? Could he do it?.... It's a big "variable" at this point.

Personally, I believe he is in a system that cannot utilize him correctly. I am not sure that we can gameplan accordingly to best use his talents.

.... Yes, I know it has been said, and all of you can trash on me, but I do not think Arians can appropriately use him in his system.

For those of you that are already complaining and spring-loaded to jump down my back, why do they use the patented "run right" play to start every game? Why does Arians continue to run him inside when it is obvious that his biggest gains/numbers are from the outside?.... I could go on and on...

I do not "dislike" Parker, but I do think he has not been used in the most efficient manner in recent years... That, combined with the doubt after the injury makes him very expendable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    What some here don't realize is Parker is after a starters job and only recently tucked his tail for a back-up role possibilty with the Rams. Parker, when healthy, is one of the better backs in the league. I hope we can get him at a fair price.
    For those that prefer a homerun hitter but doesn't consistantly move chains I will concede difference of opinion. I have always believed that a back able to crank out 3-6 yards consistantly sets up the passing game...putting the passing game in good situations instead of third and longs. But, if you believe otherwise fair enough.

With that said, Parker really only had two good seasons 2005 and 2006. Some will argue 2007 but he only averaged 4.1 per carry. He has had two very bad seasons since. There are alot of questions concerning his speed. He has lost more than a step...and that's all he ever really had. He could never consistantly move chains and was never a threat in the passing game. Some have warm fuzzies over 2005. In 2005 playoffs (all 4 games) 45% of Parker's runs ended in 1 yard or less. He puts the O in tough spots even at his best. And as someone stated before he can only run behind a good FB who can pick his holes for him.

The Steelers would have re-signed him. He chose to leave. He is now seeing that the Steelers were not treating him unfairly.
    2014 NFL Draft