Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Roster Spots Are Available?

Legend

User Info Menu

How Many Roster Spots Are Available?

How many rookies can realistically make our roster next year?

4 or 5?

Less or more?

We definitely seem to have too many picks.

And some UDFA will likely pan out.

So what do we do?

Trade for picks next year?

or move up this year?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: How Many Roster Spots Are Available?

Move up in Rd. 2 and get one of the top CBs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No one thought we would use all 10 picks last year either. True we didn't we ended up with 9 picks and we used them after trading down and then back up to get 3 3rd rounders. Most of them made the team/PS. Anything can happen.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

QB=(3)-Ben, Dennis,???
    RB=(4)-Mendy, Mewelde, Logan, ???
    FB=(2) Mchugh, Davis??
    WR=(5) Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Randle El, Sweed??
    TE=(3) Miller, Spaeth (ugh), Johnson
    OL=(9) Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Essex,Colon, Foster, Legursky, Scott or Hills??, Urbik
    DL=(6) Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hood, Hoke, Kirscke?? or Harris??
    LB=(Harrison, Timmons,Farrior,Woodley, Foote, Fox,???,???
    CB=(5) Taylor, Gay, Lewis, Burnett, ???
    S=(4) Troy, Clark, Allen??, Mundy??
    LS=(1)Warren/Retofsky
    P=(1)Spulveda
    K=(1) Reed

That makes 52 players.....Prob another OL and Maybe anothe WR or RB

with 11 players as ?????

So there are plenty of spots for improvement

Legend

User Info Menu

It'll depend on the quality of the rookie in question, but you'd have to assume that guys like Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, RaShon Harris, Anthony Maddison, Tyler Grisham, Ryan Mundy, Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, Tony Hills, Stefon Logan, Sean McHugh, Limas Sweed & Trae Williams could all be IMPROVED on if the right sort of rookie was brought in.

That's 13 guys that could be replaced.

And, in an uncapped year, if the Steelers can improve on some of the more established players, there is some chance they might try to dump their high salaries in the year that they suffer no cap penalty. Guys like Farrior, Hoke or possibly even Big Max.

It'll all depend on the quality coming in.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    QB=(3)-Ben, Dennis,???
    RB=(4)-Mendy, Mewelde, Logan, ???
    FB=(2) Mchugh, Davis??
    WR=(5) Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Randle El, Sweed??
    TE=(3) Miller, Spaeth (ugh), Johnson
    OL=(9) Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Essex,Colon, Foster, Legursky, Scott or Hills??, Urbik
    DL=(6) Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hood, Hoke, Kirscke?? or Harris??
    LB=(Harrison, Timmons,Farrior,Woodley, Foote, Fox,???,???
    CB=(5) Taylor, Gay, Lewis, Burnett, ???
    S=(4) Troy, Clark, Allen??, Mundy??
    LS=(1)Warren/Retofsky
    P=(1)Spulveda
    K=(1) Reed

That makes 52 players.....Prob another OL and Maybe anothe WR or RB

with 11 players as ?????

So there are plenty of spots for improvement
    Don't forget Arnaz Battle who we just signed at WR

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Players on the Bubble:
    RB = Mewelde (Draft Pick could easily take his touches)
    FB = McHugh, Davis (Only survives & possibly both if "The Tank" shows up to play)
    WR = Sweed, Battle, Logan (Sweed...nevermind, Battle isn't a given, Logan sees Randle El)
    OL = Essex, Hills (Hills is out of time & Essex could be passed by Foster, Urbik & Draft Pick)
    DL = Hoke, Kirschke, Harris (Kirschke could retire, Hoke & Harris could be pushed out by Draft Pick)
    LB = Bailey, Frazier (Bailey is replaceable & Frazier is nothing special...look for Draft Pick)
    CB = Madison (Madison is always on the bubble & there will be at least one Draft Pick to worry about)
    LS = Warren, Retofsky (One of these two will go)
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Players on the Bubble:
    RB = Mewelde (Draft Pick could easily take his touches)
    FB = McHugh, Davis (Only survives & possibly both if "The Tank" shows up to play)
    WR = Sweed, Battle, Logan (Sweed...nevermind, Battle isn't a given, Logan sees Randle El)
    OL = Essex, Hills (Hills is out of time & Essex could be passed by Foster, Urbik & Draft Pick)
    DL = Hoke, Kirschke, Harris (Kirschke could retire, Hoke & Harris could be pushed out by Draft Pick)
    LB = Bailey, Frazier (Bailey is replaceable & Frazier is nothing special...look for Draft Pick)
    CB = Madison (Madison is always on the bubble & there will be at least one Draft Pick to worry about)
    LS = Warren, Retofsky (One of these two will go)
    Kirschke is already gone as a UFA. I'll give you another player who I think doesn't have a lock on a roster spot...James Farrior. Add Matt Spaeth to the list of Bubble players. Other than that you pretty much have the same list I have.

I think the staff saw complacency last season that they won't tolerate this year and competition for roster spots will be more intense which is why the free agents were brought in.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with Ovie about complacency although I would be surprised to see Farrior get cut even with his perceived slow down last year. I only say perceived b/c we don't know if he perhaps tweaked a hammie or an ankle last season and was hobbled a bit.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Why do people always seem to think that Mewelde Moore and Chris Hoke are on some kind of bubble?

There are two players who ALWAYS perform when their number is called...why would you cut a player like that?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.