Thread: LSU, YSU and GaTech Pro Days

Legend

User Info Menu

LSU, YSU and GaTech Pro Days

TUESDAY, MARCH 16

9:20 p.m.: The Steelers and the rest of the league showed up at the LSU Pro Day on Monday. Some interesting numbers were put up by safety Chad Jones, running back Charles Scott, and nose tackle Al Woods.

Jones weighed in at 225 pounds and shaved some time off his combine 40 with a run of 4.54. According to NFL.com, Jones also ran a 6.84 3-cone drill. He also pushed the bar up 11 times in the bench press, up from 9 at the combine.

"That just shows improvement," Jones told The Monroe News Star. "I think the scouts saw that if I get in the weight room more, I'll definitely get a lot stronger."

Jones, of course, was a star player on the national championship baseball team, as well as a junior who just completed his first full season as LSU's starting safety. If the Steelers don't grab Earl Thomas in the first round, Jones is one of my favorites in the second.

Scott, a 232-pound running back whose season was cut short by injury, ran a 4.53 40 and should be viewed as a mid-round sleeper for the Steelers, who need help in their short-yardage game.

Woods is a 307-pound nose tackle who ran a 4.98 40 and could be an interesting late-round prospect for a team looking for youth at the position.

The Steelers also visited Youngstown State to watch wide receiver Donald Jones. The 6-0, 214-pounder made 77 catches last season but is coveted more for his size than his speed. His 40 time from Monday's workout was not reported.

The Georgia Tech Pro Day drew a large NFL contingent to watch another power back, Jonathan Dwyer. The 225-pounder, whose status had slipped after a sloppy combine, ran a 4.52 40. But he was overshadowed by safety Morgan Burnett, who ran a 4.42 40 (according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution) and posted exceptional distances of 11-0 in the broad jump and 39.5 in the vertical jump.

The Pro Day schedule the rest of the week includes Georgia (today), Penn State, Tennessee and Florida (Wednesday), and Virginia Tech and West Virginia (Thursday).

"My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: LSU, YSU and GaTech Pro Days

Good stuff. Where did you find this?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Good stuff. Where did you find this?
    [url="http://www.draftinsider.net/"]http://www.draftinsider.net/[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm a little concerned that we are going to draft a good young WR and then try to hide him on the PS since we have Holmes, Ward, Wallace, ARE, Battle, & Sweed (for now). I really don't see us keeping Sweed, but that is still 5 receivers (plus Logan possibly). Where does a rookie make this team? Battle is obviously a favorite of our new special teams coach, ARE is on the team, and the top three are set.

I really wish we didn't sign ARE. He is a really nice guy, but his best days are behind him. We should be trying to add dynamic young receivers (that is what the #4 receiver slot is for!).

Then again, if someone goes down in the preseason, we should be pretty deep at WR.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I'm a little concerned that we are going to draft a good young WR and then try to hide him on the PS since we have Holmes, Ward, Wallace, ARE, Battle, & Sweed (for now). I really don't see us keeping Sweed, but that is still 5 receivers (plus Logan possibly). Where does a rookie make this team? Battle is obviously a favorite of our new special teams coach, ARE is on the team, and the top three are set.

I really wish we didn't sign ARE. He is a really nice guy, but his best days are behind him. We should be trying to add dynamic young receivers (that is what the #4 receiver slot is for!).

Then again, if someone goes down in the preseason, we should be pretty deep at WR.

I think ARE is a very good pick up for the following reasons:

1. He is a reliable receiver with good hands and gets yards after the catch.
    2. He can provide an insurance policy for Hines Ward getting injured and step into the Hines role as the posession/underneath receiver.
    3. He is a good character guy and will provide leadership

I don't expect much from him in the return game. IMO he was overrated doing that when he was here and has probably lost a step.

Remember, few rookie receivers step in and contribute their rookie season. Wallace was an exception. I would not expect the team to even consider a wide receiver in the draft until after Round 3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's betting Charles Scott is on the radar...

For those in the know- what's everyone's take on Fresno's Lonyae Miller?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Backup

User Info Menu

Living here in Youngstown, I can say that Donald Jones looks like a pretty good prospect. But with the receivers the Steelers have now, I can't see them drafting him. Unless Sweed is gone by then and they are concerned about how healthy Hines is and he's hinted how much longer he'll play. Then I would say, draft him and keep six receivers in '10-'11.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Al Woods would be an interesting DE prospect, but if they're looking at late-round WRs then Joe Webb, Stephen Williams & Scott Long are real possibilities as we need a WR with some size if Sweed goes. Another scenario to look out for...drafting Eric Decker (WR, Minn) & stashing him on IR as he recovers from foot surgery.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...