Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers waiting for Leftwich to be released

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers waiting for Leftwich to be released

Good. Batch should move to the coaching ranks. His injuries are happening earlier & earlier. I have a feeling Batch will break his throwing hand opening the door to the complex Day one of the minis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Leftwich would be a great option to bring back. He was a solid citizen when he was here and can get the job done for several games if required. He actually gets rid of the ball much quicker than Ben so that is a real positive.
    And, IF we protect him reasonably well, he can actually hit Mike Wallace in stride!
    True statement
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wow, a few weeks ago everyone on here was jumping all over me because I refused to say that Ben is the best qb in the league (behind manning) now folks are saying he doesn't get rid of the ball as fast as a 3rd string qb? nor can he hit a fast receiver in stride? wow, ben went from being the greatest in the league to a guy some on here don't even want anymore (and not for off the field problems it seems)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NC Steeler Fan
    Sigh...as much as I like Batch, if we can sign Leftwich, I'd rather have him.

Let Batch be an assistant coach or something. He's a good guy and I believe
    he bleeds Black and Gold...

I really like Batch, but I think that Leftwich is the better option for the Steelers as a backup QB.

I hope they bring him back into the fold. I also hope that he doesn't have to take too many snaps. While he is a good backup, things didn't workout with Jacksonville, Atlanta and Tampa Bay for a reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NC Steeler Fan
    Sigh...as much as I like Batch, if we can sign Leftwich, I'd rather have him.

Let Batch be an assistant coach or something. He's a good guy and I believe
    he bleeds Black and Gold...
    agreed... totally.

Batch is fragile. But, he's the vet backup you hope for... he knows the system... and he's a home boy... Lefty is a reasonably priced vet backup he has done well in short stretches with this team. I prefer him to batch, but, would take either as the top backup.

It's simply not worth buying a Brett Favre - who may never play assuming Ben is found innocent (as you all should assume his is, right now).
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    wow, a few weeks ago everyone on here was jumping all over me because I refused to say that Ben is the best qb in the league (behind manning) now folks are saying he doesn't get rid of the ball as fast as a 3rd string qb? nor can he hit a fast receiver in stride? wow, ben went from being the greatest in the league to a guy some on here don't even want anymore (and not for off the field problems it seems)
    No one said Leftwich should start ahead of Ben or that he is a better QB because he isn't. He does get rid of the ball quicker than Ben and doesn't hold onto it because he doesn't have the ability to escape the rush like Ben.

That is just a statement of fact not a criticism of or piling on Ben and is consistent with what I have been saying for years. This poster never said don't want Ben here. I'm not sure I read anyone else saying that either.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "SteelerOfDeVille
    Batch is fragile. But, he's the vet backup you hope for... he knows the system... and he's a home boy... Lefty is a reasonably priced vet backup he has done well in short stretches with this team. I prefer him to batch, but, would take either as the top backup.

It's simply not worth buying a Brett Favre - who may never play assuming Ben is found innocent (as you all should assume his is, right now).
    Ben is innocent. No one has shown otherwise nor given us any real reason to think that he isn't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    [
    Batch won't last two quarters before he breaks another bone. Given the uncertainty Ben faces, going with Batch is a poor idea. There is no guarantee someone else won't get injured, but there is a guarantee that Batch will be injured if he plays or even gets near the field.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Worst case scenario- if Ben really is in trouble, Chadman would feel much more comfortable moving ahead with Leftwich than Dixon/Batch at this point.

Leftwich, in the right situation, is a viable starting NFL QB.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah, I view Batch as a good option if you are talking about spot relief (one or two games max). But as a back-up capable of lasting an entire season, history shows he won't make it that long.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]