Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for the Draft Heads

Legend

User Info Menu

A question for the Draft Heads

If you take away his struggles in the Senior Bowl- how do you rate Mike Iupati?

Before the Senior Bowl game, he was talked about in hushed tones as a possible LT, even possibly the best OL in the draft.

But 1 game in which he gets caught holding, and now he's over rated?

Reminds Chadman of this other guy that came out of the Senior Bowl with his reputation damaged, sliding into the 2nd round...and becoming the Steelers LOLB the following season.

Remember him? LaMarr Woodley anyone?

It's absurd that people would consider Iupati as over rated baed on one game. His college career indicates he's the #1 OG in the draft, the best run blocker in the draft, and an outstanding prospect.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: A question for the Draft Heads

I have nothing against Iupati, I just don't want the Steelers to draft a guard in Rd. 1 when their 2nd pick from last year was a highly rated guard who has not had a chance to prove himself. Are you convinced that Urbik is a bust and will not play RG?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Before the Senior Bowl game, he was talked about in hushed tones as a possible LT, even possibly the best OL in the draft.

Reminds Chadman of this other guy that came out of the Senior Bowl with his reputation damaged, sliding into the 2nd round...and becoming the Steelers LOLB the following season.

It's absurd that people would consider Iupati as over rated baed on one game. His college career indicates he's the #1 OG in the draft, the best run blocker in the draft, and an outstanding prospect.

Iupati showed very well at the Senior Bowl practices, it was only in the game that he struggled. but you have to remember, his struggles occured while he was playing RG. Iupati is much, much better playing on the left side.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    I have nothing against Iupati, I just don't want the Steelers to draft a guard in Rd. 1 when their 2nd pick from last year was a highly rated guard who has not had a chance to prove himself. Are you convinced that Urbik is a bust and will not play RG?
    Chadman never rated Urbik that highly. And the Combine workouts/practices last year left MUCH to be desired.

In Chadman's opinion, Urbik benefitted from being a member of a good OL, not the Wisconsin OL benefitting from Urbik being a member of it.

At most, he'll never be dominant. And the 'word' from Mr Rooney is he wants the committment placed back on running the ball. What better way to commit to running than to put together a dominant blocking OL? With Kemo & Iupati at OG, the Steelers have 2 massive maulers for Rashard to run behind.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Iupati showed very well at the Senior Bowl practices, it was only in the game that he struggled. but you have to remember, his struggles occured while he was playing RG. Iupati is much, much better playing on the left side.
    Where would he fit in as a Steeler? Kemo to RG and Iupati at LG? I think drafting any guard in Rd. 1 would be a waste. I agree we need to get back to a power running game, but do we know that Urbik is not the answer? If so, then who is responsible for taking him with our 2nd pick last year? That would be a huge waste for two consecutive years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Chadman never rated Urbik that highly. And the Combine workouts/practices last year left MUCH to be desired.

In Chadman's opinion, Urbik benefitted from being a member of a good OL, not the Wisconsin OL benefitting from Urbik being a member of it.

At most, he'll never be dominant. And the 'word' from Mr Rooney is he wants the committment placed back on running the ball. What better way to commit to running than to put together a dominant blocking OL? With Kemo & Iupati at OG, the Steelers have 2 massive maulers for Rashard to run behind.
    I know everyone has a different opinion and that's what makes this fun; so, if the following players are available at 1.18 who do you take?

Iupati
    Thomas
    Spiller
    the 2nd best ILB in the draft (excuse my ignorance, I have no idea who that might be)

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's take him in the second round then

Good point btw. I'm just not big on a OG @ 18.

Legend

User Info Menu

Where would he fit in as a Steeler? Kemo to RG and Iupati at LG? I think drafting any guard in Rd. 1 would be a waste. I agree we need to get back to a power running game, If so, then who is responsible for taking him with our 2nd pick last year? That would be a huge waste for two consecutive years.
    In theory, you are correct- but your argument smacks of incosistancy...

Looking at your mock, you have Kareem Jackson CB, in Round 2.

If drafting Iupati to play OG & 'giving up' on Urbik is a 'waste', then by drafting Jackson in Round 2, you waste 2 picks from last year- Keenan Lewis & Joe Burnett.

but do we know that Urbik is not the answer?
    - nobody knows for sure, but here's a pretty big clue- RG last year was former back-up OT Trai Essex, then when Kemo got hurt back-up Center Doug Legursky got a shot, and then undrafted former OT Ramon Foster won the position.

Where was #2 pick, and career OG Kraig Urbik? Dressed in his civvies on the sideline. Not a good indication of future dominance right there..

And as for who is responsible for drafting Urbik- you would have to envision that FORMER OL coach Larry Z had some say. The same Larry Z that overlooked an OL that gave up over 80 odd sacks in two years.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Holding is holding. Whether its on the right side or the left.

Legend

User Info Menu

I know everyone has a different opinion and that's what makes this fun; so, if the following players are available at 1.18 who do you take?

Iupati
    Thomas
    Spiller
    the 2nd best ILB in the draft (excuse my ignorance, I have no idea who that might be)
    Given that the depth of the Safety class means that there are good talents found through to Round 4 or so, and that the drop-off from Iupati to the next OG is far greater, Iupati would trump Thomas, particularly after the Steelers re-signed Clark & added Will Allen.

CJ Spiller is a different proposition in some ways...he is a rare talent that could dominate due to his speed. But...if the Steelers need a 'Fast Back' as the #2 RB, there are a few options in the later rounds. Also- the Steelers FO lamented the inability to convert short yardage, not 3rd & long, which indicate to Chadman that a 'Power RB' might be of greater need in the FO's eyes. Adding Iupati also improves the Steelers running game, particularly in the smash 'em up derby that is short yardage situations.

The 2nd/3rd best ILB might be a moot point now that Larry Foote, Key Fox, James Farrior & Lawrence Timmons are on board. There's only so many spots! OLB however...

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S